***OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vs. Illinois (GAME THREAD)

I guess it can be said today that if the Gophers lose, which seems highly likely, it was a total team effort.

Why not go for broke?

Basically end up short of a FD and be in striking distance. Though I have not seen the whole game, the Gophers D seems to have only one 3 and out today.

A failed attempt would be the end. Not saying you don't have a point, but a punt seems less desperate and if there would happen to somehow be a three and out, or maybe even a turnover, the game is technically in striking distance.

There was no need to go for an onside kick there. You should be able to trust your defense to make a stop with plenty of time to put together a drive for points.

HORRIBLE decision for the onside kick, still over 3 minutes left

What happened??? I am using ESPN gamecenter and don't know what happened.

Well it was a good effort.......

The INT was pretty much the difference in this ballgame. Or you could argue when we had 1st & Goal from the 3 & settled for a FG.......

onside kick attempt that went out of bounds. illinois is just running out the clock and is already in FG range

THe game was extremely frustrating and bad decision on the kick. i'm pissed. this is what life is like as gopher fan, i should be used to it by now. oh well

Well, that's the game.

Brew's forthcoming quotes:

"I'm so proud of our team's effort"

"Our guys fought their guts out."

"We have great character guys on this team."

"Adam Weber did a great job for the most part."

All of which will make losing to a bad Illinois team at home okay. :rolleyes:

Fox Sports stated Ill. punt was blocked and Kuznia ran it in for a TD.

There was no need to go for an onside kick there. You should be able to trust your defense to make a stop with plenty of time to put together a drive for points.

Well the defense couldn't stop them after the onside kick any way so it was a good decision.

onside kick attempt that went out of bounds. illinois is just running out the clock and is already in FG range

As far as I could tell, the Def. held them twice all game, not sure it would have done it again. 3 minutes and no time outs...All ill. would have needed to do is get one first down and the game would have been over anyway. Took a chance and it did not work.

I was sealing the driveway and had to listen to Dave Lee on my Walkman (yes, I still have one!) so I have no idea what happened except we didn't look very good.

Sounds like the interception returned for the TD and the shanked punt did us in.

One question though (and all the analysts mentioned it), why were we throwing way down the field constantly in the first half. I realize that McKnight may be like a new toy that Fisch has to play with, but that is so far out of our pattern.

Anyway, too bad. if we had only scheduled Northern Illinois, Troy or Tusla instead of California, we'd be bowl eligible.

I was sealing the driveway and had to listen to Dave Lee on my Walkman (yes, I still have one!) so I have no idea what happened except we didn't look very good.

Sounds like the interception returned for the TD and the shanked punt did us in.

One question though (and all the analysts mentioned it), why were we throwing way down the field constantly in the first half. I realize that McKnight may be like a new toy that Fisch has to play with, but that is so far out of our pattern.

Anyway, too bad. if we had only scheduled Northern Illinois, Troy or Tusla instead of California, we'd be bowl eligible.

I think Brew threw Mason's book away!

I just want everyone to know my last sentence was total sarcasm.

Yeah, realized that was sarcasm, but it actually brings up a good point. I am seriously glad that we didn't come into today's game at 5-3 and I was deluded into thinking we might be a legit 8-4 or 9-3 team. Rather, I KNEW we could lose to Illinois, because that's much closer to the level we are right now. Better to know where we stand and how much work is needed to get to the next level.

So pretty much playing a tougher NC Schedule still has no effect during our Conference Play?

Top Bottom