***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin BATTLE FOR PAUL BUNYAN'S AXE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I see people calling this the last game of the season.

As I understand it, the rules on bowl-game eligibility have been waived for this year. So, pretty much any team can play in a bowl game if they are invited and they accept.

Of course, we don't know for sure how many of the lesser bowl games will be played. the CFP games will go forward and I assume the NYD games. after that, remains to be seen.

But just because the Gophers are 3-4, they are not barred from going to a bowl game.

As far as today's game:
Morgan needed to be good.
He was average.
Average wasn't good enough.

everything else aside, that is what it came down to. some poor decisions, missed throws, and some 'odd' pocket presence. Not what you want or need from a veteran QB.
I don’t think we will accept a bowl bid but if we did it would be fun.

we will be in the 6-8 range of the big ten in the bowl pecking order.Not sure what that means this year

I don’t think we will accept a bowl bid but if we did it would be fun.

we will be in the 6-8 range of the big ten in the bowl pecking order.Not sure what that means this year

remember - a bowl bid means extra practices. I could see the Gophers accepting a bid for that reason alone. and a chance to end the year with a victory, and get on TV.

remember - a bowl bid means extra practices. I could see the Gophers accepting a bid for that reason alone. and a chance to end the year with a victory, and get on TV.
A bowl bid usually means 2 weeks of extra practice or more.
If we accept a bowl bid we are playing at most 12 days from today.
Not as important as usual.

Like I said at the time....be aggressive...go for two. Make it. Win the game in regulation. Force Wolf to beat you passing. Or at least worst case scenario force a field goal get the ball back and kick your own game winning field goal. We do not have the offense to win in overtime...it ain’t last year. Dumb decision in Maryland and again today.

#2. If we are complaining we have no wide receivers that’s pretty lame. PJ is a WRer guru and recruits 8 a year. Should be able to find a backup and or at least a third one??

We are 3 and 4. We need to decline any bowl game bids, if by folly there is one.
Do not deserve a bowl. Win the damn game today if you want a bowl bid.

Reactions: MRJ

Where on Earth do you get this from? We are talking about losing consistently to two programs IN THE EXACT SAME CLIMATE. Two programs that Minnesota used to dominate.
Ya, but IA and uw pump guys into the NFL. Gophers don't. So good luck selling the program over those two when you factor in the cold. An object in motion stays in motion.

I am saying there's a lot of evidence that they don't mean anything to the University of Minnesota. They should mean more to everyone who puts on the maroon and gold from the President down to the groundskeeper than they do to fans. I think there's some in that group that are more than happy just getting that B1G TV money and don't see their role in the B1G as anything more than that. We've allowed Richard F'ing Pitino (and previously Dan Monson) to coach the basketball team for 8 years. Look how long Jim Wacker kept his job. I could go on.

They didn't mail it in today, but they coached and played an awful football game against a Wisconsin offense that probably should have never crossed the 50 yard line against a competent B1G defense.

Wow and what last year sucked?

Do you get it as someone who played organized sports (maybe???), or is a real FAN that building continuity, is the hardest part, especially when players come and go. PJ took us to a whole new level last year, so I have a much easier time as a rational person and fan to think that's where we're headed. Bro, that none of us honestly imagined could occur, so you don't always have to be the board cynic, "Heavy is the Head that Wears the Crown", you need to tap into you fun self when you first discovered girls didn't give your germs and it was fun to embarrass your friendz was fun. You got many moons and years to become these guys -

1608427225217.png

Gopher football doesn't have "it". I spent a good chunk of change to bring buddies and watch the TCU game from the club. Could have been a program defining win. I spent a good chunk of change to bring my dad to the Packers game at US Bank last year in the club level for my first Vikings game and his first since Met Stadium as a kid. These programs need to prove something before I spend any more money with them including merch. My spending is going to go to Gopher hockey and after that, probably the Saints. Other teams in this town need to prove it, albeit moreso the pro teams which I can't believe people still pour money into.

Agreed, although I'm much tougher on Minnesota pro teams and their continual failures than I am on college kids.

I think there is potential for football in the future, but if I'm totally honest, this is what I expect from Gopher football. Way more often than not, they find ways to lose rather than finding ways to win against good competition. That's why beating Auburn in the Outback Bowl was such fun; it was a very pleasant surprise.

This year? Just not a good football team. In fact, they proved to be a very typical Gopher football team, Fleck's continual rah rahs notwithstanding.

With that said, they are young. Mo Ibrahim is a total stud and Daniel Jackson looks like a future stand out player. Defensively, they improved. Still not a good defense, but definitely better than they were at the start.

Bottom line, they need a lot of work before they're even a legitimately competitive team.

What is the evidence that these games "mean" anything to Minnesota? You lose 23 of 26 to Wisconsin and probably something like 19 of 26 to Iowa. If they meant something that wouldn't happen. They mean something to Iowa and Wisconsin. Minnesota seems just fine playing the game. It's beyond disgusting. Obviously not a PJ problem as these got lopsided under Mason and nothing was done about it. Remember the response to Iowa fans trying to take the goal posts out of the Metrodome? I am personally sick of watching a University that seems all too comfortable with rolling over.
I'm not sure what the point of this is? You're angry that the U de-emphasized football in the 80's? What exactly do you want anyone in charge now to do differently?

Yeah I don’t get why they can’t win trophy games. Even if they were close to .500 in those games I’d be more interested but they’re never gonna get there it seems like. At this point maybe you start going for a Les Miles or Bielema to see if they can get it done.
You want to fire Fleck and hire Bert Bielema? Seriously?

I don't think so... He might explore the option, but I bet he's told that if he comes back and continues his great play he'll be in a much better draft position.
RB's are commodities. He'd be a 3rd round pick at best. He should come back.

While I agree the play calling stunk. I was more disappointed in our offensive play up front. We were surely playing some decoys. No one got off the ball and hit a defensive man in the mouth. We need to hit the transfer portal hard for offensive. Linemen. I wonder how many yards Mo would get behind tOSU offensive line.

Thank you sir, and best to you and your family for the Holiday Season.

I think we're kindred spirits - optimists is a much easier life to live!
If posters can't see the improvement over the year what are they watching. We start with osu next year at the Bank. I love our progress this year.

Wisconsin was rated like 12th in the country 3 weeks ago.
They aren’t good but they aren’t horrible.

I too am sick of losing to them

Diidn’t say they were horrible, just that they aren’t good, particularly against their standards of the last 30 years. They were soundly whipped by Northwestern and Iowa, and still we can’t beat them. Incredibly frustrating to have zero answer for a supposed rival for going on a quarter century.

It really sucks losing this game... A game the Gophers should have won.
It feels like when we lost to Michigan in 2008 when they were like 2-6. Like if we can't beat that team, when will we? This is the worst Wisconsin offense I've seen in decades. Frustrating.

Wisconsin was rated like 12th in the country 3 weeks ago.
They aren’t good but they aren’t horrible.

I too am sick of losing to them
If you’ve seen them the last three weeks, you wouldn’t call them a good football team. Average, at best. It could be completely because of injuries and COVID, I don’t know. But didn’t the Gophers lead the B1G in players missing time due to COVID? So I’m not going to feel sorry for them and offer insight based on what I see. They’ve looked mortal since returning to action, which makes me feel hopeful. Mertz did not look good at all in the second half the season.

Ans yes, everybody is sick of losing to them.

Diidn’t say they were horrible, just that they aren’t good, particularly against their standards of the last 30 years. They were soundly whipped by Northwestern and Iowa, and still we can’t beat them. Incredibly frustrating to have zero answer for a supposed rival for going on a quarter century.
You said bad.
They aren’t bad.
It was a frustrating season

If you’ve seen them the last three weeks, you wouldn’t call them a good football team. Average, at best. It could be completely because of injuries and COVID, I don’t know. But didn’t the Gophers lead the B1G in players missing time due to COVID? So I’m not going to feel sorry for them and offer insight based on what I see. They’ve looked mortal since returning to action, which makes me feel hopeful. Mertz did not look good at all in the second half the season.

Ans yes, everybody is sick of losing to them.
I know. I was all over this board saying they were mediocre and that we had a chance because they were mediocre. I’m disappointed with the loss. But Wisconsin isn’t bad.

I hope all those who were overjoyed that we could play Wisconsin in Madison, rather than a crossover game we probably would have won, are happy. 23 losses in last 26 Badger games. Barry Alvarez got what he wanted. Morgan had a bad day and a bad season. Big drop-off from last year.

Spare us. You said that the Gophers wouldn't stand a chance against the Cornhuskers or the Badgers,

They beat Nebraska and lost to the Badgers by 3. In overtime.

Last edited:

If posters can't see the improvement over the year what are they watching. We start with osu next year at the Bank. I love our progress.
1000% we improved dramatically on defense.
Our O- line improved from game one but had too many combinations.
But, did you expect us to be so very woeful to begin? We couldn’t play worse. We had to improve. We still finished 3 and 4 in year four.

I know. I was all over this board saying they were mediocre and that we had a chance because they were mediocre. I’m disappointed with the loss. But Wisconsin isn’t bad.
No, not bad at all. Just average. Their LB play is still elite, which tends to give us fits in our slant passing game. We seem to struggle the most against teams with great LB. Wisconsin has them in spades.

We are 3 and 4. We need to decline any bowl game bids, if by folly there is one.
Do not deserve a bowl. Win the damn game today if you want a bowl bid.
That’s how it was in the 60’s! And we damn liked it!

No, not bad at all. Just average. Their LB play is still elite, which tends to give us fits in our slant passing game. We seem to struggle the most against teams with great LB. Wisconsin has them in spades.
They’ve got a top 15 defense in the country but a bottom 50’offense.

Wish we took advantage.

While I agree the play calling stunk. I was more disappointed in our offensive play up front. We were surely playing some decoys. No one got off the ball and hit a defensive man in the mouth. We need to hit the transfer portal hard for offensive. Linemen. I wonder how many yards Mo would get behind tOSU offensive line.
They were missing two starters all year. Then they all got COVID. They’ll be fine if all on board and healthy and can practice consistently.

Top Bottom