***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin BATTLE FOR PAUL BUNYAN'S AXE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I hope all those who were overjoyed that we could play Wisconsin in Madison, rather than a crossover game we probably would have won, are happy. 23 losses in last 26 Badger games. Barry Alvarez got what he wanted. Morgan had a bad day and a bad season. Big drop-off from last year.
Our players would rather play a rival that beat us last year than some crossover game.

5-8 in OT games dating back to 2000. Beat Miami (OH, Syracuse, Fresno State, and UNLV). Only Big Ten OT win was against Purdue in 2005. One of those OT losses was against Bowling Green. Another in the Grinning Glen Texas Tech meltdown. Otherwise we've lost to Purdue, Penn State twice, Northwestern, Maryland and Wisconsin.

1-7 in OT Big Ten games going back to 2000. Sadness.

It's hard to put it all on the QB, but it certainly feels like he regressed, NFL weapons or not. Bad pick in the red zone, and underthrow ball in OT.

Lack of weapons at the receiver position is pretty concerning though.

CAB goes down. That's an obvious blow. But when you have four reciever sets with Green, Geary, and Brown-Stephens all on the field....guess what.....those guys aren't going to put much fear in anyone. They aren't going to be creating a ton of separation on their routes. Do we have any other playmakers?

I like Jackson, feels like he's got a solid future in front of him.

Frustrating loss though. Really frustrating.
Agreed.

hopefully a spring in the new offense will have him and everyone looking more comfortable next year.

programs changing O and/or D coordinators this year have struggles:

minnesota
Penn state
LSU
Mississippi state
Washington state

obviously there are probably some that didn’t struggle too

Very poor offensive execution, dropped balls, costly penalties. Definitely a game we could've won. This was a very average Wisconsin team.

Wisconsin doesn't have an average defense and we haven't played well against good defensive teams. We have an offense that is good enough against mediocre defenses but not good ones and we have a defense that can't shut down almost any team.

Agreed. Super disappointing
I was concerned going into the year about the defense due to who we lost but was actually excited about what we had on offense and especially the passing game with Bateman coming back. Our passing game was so disappointing. And yeah, the kicking game absolutely sucked.

Food for thought. Referee's completely fucked up the runoff. Since Wisconsin had the injury, it should have been our choice for the run off. Clock also should have stopped earlier for the injury. Do we think PJ goes full turtle if we have 34 seconds and 2 timeouts, rather than 13 seconds?

Ten-Second Runoff. If the player injury is the only reason for stopping the clock (other than his or a teammate’s helmet coming off, Rule 3-3-9) with less than one minute in the half, the opponent has the option of a 10-second runoff.
It was our choice. PJ did go full turtle.

I was concerned going into the year about the defense due to who we lost but was actually excited about what we had on offense and especially the passing game with Bateman coming back. Our passing game was so disappointing. And yeah, the kicking game absolutely sucked.
I think the O coordinator change without spring ball or regular camp really hurt our offense. Morgan looked uncomfortable all year

PJ elected to take it because he's a p***y-a**-b****, pardon my french.
Fleck and Sanford knew that Tanner Morgan, already shaky, wouldn't have been able to do anything... and, in fact, they weren't sure he wouldn't completely screw up and do something to lose the game.

The Gophers should have won this game. I’m going to go chop a tree down. Have a nice night.

Tough year. We did play better as the year went on. Sucks to lose today.
I agree with this. Furthermore, guys go way up and down with Fleck who clearly get bent out of shape quickly. Talk about anger management issues.

B) WHY IS THERE A DESIGNED PLAY IN THE U OF M PLAYBOOK THAT THROWS BLIND, LATE, AND OVER THE MIDDLE?!? MORGAN NEARLY GIFTED UW A INT IN OT.

It ended up not mattering but jfc that's bad play design. Who the hell calls that play ever? Even worse, in OT? Our offensive coordinators are just awful at times. Like I don't get it. That is never a good idea, ever.

Are you talking about the third down play? Because that's wrong. That was a well designed play with a wide open TE. Morgan simply didn't throw it correctly. Put some air underneath it and it should have been an easy reception.

It was our choice. PJ did go full turtle.

Maybe he would have taken it anyway, but the ref announced it as Wisconsin's choice after talking to the Wisconsin coach. What we saw PJ say on the sidelines was checking if the clock would start running or if we needed to snap it.

Fleck and Sanford knew that Tanner Morgan, already shaky, wouldn't have been able to do anything... and, in fact, they weren't sure he wouldn't completely screw up and do something to lose the game.

He needs to be able to keep his composure, if he can't, then he shouldn't be on the field. It has nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with Fleck's overly conservative football philosophies.

Wisconsin has one of their worst teams in many years, they play their backup QB, their RB is mediocre, and somehow we lose to them. Last year, Morgan was ranked as a top 5 QB in the country, I am not sure that he is a top 5 QB in the Big Ten. We give up another touchdown run up the middle and the runner is untouched. The coaches need to improve and I hope we have better recruits coming in next year.

I enjoy 3-23 more than 0-0
If you want to follow a team with games that don’t mean anything...either go find one or admit to yourself that the games done mean anything to you
What is the evidence that these games "mean" anything to Minnesota? You lose 23 of 26 to Wisconsin and probably something like 19 of 26 to Iowa. If they meant something that wouldn't happen. They mean something to Iowa and Wisconsin. Minnesota seems just fine playing the game. It's beyond disgusting. Obviously not a PJ problem as these got lopsided under Mason and nothing was done about it. Remember the response to Iowa fans trying to take the goal posts out of the Metrodome? I am personally sick of watching a University that seems all too comfortable with rolling over.

Maybe he would have taken it anyway, but the ref announced it as Wisconsin's choice after talking to the Wisconsin coach. What we saw PJ say on the sidelines was checking if the clock would start running or if we needed to snap it.
He did take it.

Are you talking about the third down play? Because that's wrong. That was a well designed play with a wide open TE. Morgan simply didn't throw it correctly. Put some air underneath it and it should have been an easy reception.

If the linebacker stays home, then that play will always be covered, and Morgan will never see him. It's an awful play. Take it out of the playbook.

Yup. Similar to when Wisconsin runs on 3rd and 7

coaches didn’t trust morgan much tonight (nor should have they IMO)

We actually did quite well against a top defense. We just made too many mistakes. The holding call on Mo’s touchdown was an absolute killer. As Fleck said there were a lot of good play calls...we just didn’t execute. If we execute we win. I don’t blame the OC. Although I’m upset and disappointed I believe the future is bright. I believe in P.J. Fleck...when I listen to him I BELIEVE he knows what he’s doing and we are lucky to have him. But, I do hope there is open competition for QB next year.

What is the evidence that these games "mean" anything to Minnesota? You lose 23 of 26 to Wisconsin and probably something like 19 of 26 to Iowa. If they meant something that wouldn't happen. They mean something to Iowa and Wisconsin. Minnesota seems just fine playing the game. It's beyond disgusting. Obviously not a PJ problem as these got lopsided under Mason and nothing was done about it. Remember the response to Iowa fans trying to take the goal posts out of the Metrodome? I am personally sick of watching a University that seems all too comfortable with rolling over.
None.
There is no evidence.
No games mean anything in the broad scheme of things.

But these games mean something to me.
You don’t think these games don’t mean something to the team? LOL
For sure, they just mailed it in. Keep telling yourself that.

If the linebacker stays home, then that play will always be covered, and Morgan will never see him. It's an awful play. Take it out of the playbook.
That’s a good point

you know running a trap doesn’t work if the linebacker fills correctly. Better take that play out too.

in fact, every defense is designed to stop plays. So we better take every play out

They mean something. But they don't have the talent to win. If you played sports you know you get up more for your rivals, even if they are a much better team and very likely to beat you.

Top Bottom