***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Here cncmin is how it works. There are bad calls in every game against every team. Do those bad calls when they happen at the end of a game sometimes play a part in the outcome of the game - yes. However, that was not the case in this game.

This team will win way more games than many of you posting after the Iowa game would lead us to believe. That's the big picture. Great fight.

I don't know. I just expect to see better basketball than this. It's the same thing every year.

In regulation Marcus Carr was incredible, Bobby Jackson like. He ran out of gas or he doesn't turn it over 4-5 times in the OTs. If they had Willis, they would have won the game. The worst decision Carr made was to try to dribble through Purdue with 15 seconds left. They wanted to foul him. But I can't blame him for anything. He was amazing.

I am more confident in this team now than I was before this game. This team has something. I like this squad better than last year's team.
Agree with all of this. I was extremely impressed with the effort on that team tonight. No quit whatsoever. They have two really good players, and they are really one glue player away from being a top-tier B1G squad. As is, they'll be fighting for a Tourney bubble, and having this one stolen from them is going to hurt. Gotta come back and bury NW Sunday. This is a surprisingly entertaining Gopher basketball team.

Here cncmin is how it works. There are bad calls in every game against every team. Do those bad calls when they happen at the end of a game sometimes play a part in the outcome of the game - yes. However, that was not the case in this game.

You should repeat this a few more times and try to will it into being true.

This ones on Patino, two times up with the ball he refused to call a timeout with a double-team approaching Carr.
Watch the geniuses extend his multimillion dollar salary.

some excellent points on the butterfly effect of letting a play go without calling a foul. The refs didn't give us any breaks and we really only needed one. But we also had our chances to make smart plays that would have helped our chances. We were up a couple and got an offensive board tipped out or passed out to Tre and we could /should have milked another 20 seconds off the clock and he put up a quick 3. Great dagger shot if it goes in, not so great when it doesn't.
Williams got the offensive board with 13 seconds left and we are up 3 and have a chance to foul their 45% free thrower who is 33% tonight and we let him throw it out for a 3.

that kicked ball call was a killer though and Marcus turnover after Daniel had the rebound- I wouldn't have minded Daniel hanging on to that until they fouled him cuz Purdue didn't seem to be coming at him very quickly

lots of chances-- learn from failure

You should repeat this a few more times and try to will it into being true.
And the rest of you kick your heels together 3 times and repeat it’s the refs fault and your fairytale will come true.

Wasn't the "same thing" last year nor in 2017-18.

Last year was a bottom half of the big 10 finish as will this year. Same thing! Might sneak in with a poor record due to the competition, but no chance once they get in. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: ltf

I just saw we don't get to pay Purdue back at home as we don't play them. Dammitt!

Last year was a bottom half of the big 10 finish as will this year. Same thing! Might sneak in with a poor record due to the competition, but no chance once they get in. Lather, rinse, repeat.

What happened in the tourney last year?

And the rest of you kick your heels together 3 times and repeat it’s the refs fault and your fairytale will come true.

I'm not blaming the refs 100%. I don't think I've ever complained about the officiating on these boards. However, I'm not blind.

If officiating was decent tonight, we win.
If we execute, we win.
It's both things.

This is coming from a guy who has very little faith in Pitino.

that kicked ball call was a killer though and Marcus turnover after Daniel had the rebound- I wouldn't have minded Daniel hanging on to that until they fouled him cuz Purdue didn't seem to be coming at him very quickly

lots of chances-- learn from failure
Agreed on these. On the "turnover" play, either one of those two are good FT shooters, and either one simply needed to wrap their arms around the ball until either Purdue came up and hugged them, at which point even the most biased ref would have to call a foul, or Pitino called timeout after 4 seconds and waste some time off the clock prior to an inbounds play. What they should not have done was take dribbles without tight ball security; you knew Purdue was going to hit the ball carrier, and they did, just as they had done earlier in catch-up mode. The call was blatantly missed; however, at the same time, better thinking and execution by either of the two players wouldn't have given the refs another chance to let Purdue win. Some lessons are harder learned than others.

I'm not blaming the refs 100%. I don't think I've ever complained about the officiating on these boards. However, I'm not blind.

If we execute, we win.
It's both things.

+1000. We can now end this pissing match.

Mistakenly pressed the like button above. Difficult to believe that you are seriously arguing that last season and 2017-2018 were failure seasons.

The Gophers did not lose because of the refs no matter how many times you say it.

Absolutely not true. While Carr had 6 turnovers between the last 2 minutes and the overtimes, he was blatantly fouled from behind near the end of regulation. Carr would've been at the FT line with a 3-point lead, needing to make 1 to seal the game. Purdue was absolutely trying to foul, and officials have to know that situation in the moment.

If we execute, we win.
It's both things.

One of Pitino's biggest problems is that he gets little love from the refs. PJ generally does. Their approach to bitching is notably different. PJ looks them in the eye. Pitino shows disgust and turns his head. Those who persuade the officials are usually those, like Painter, like Bo Ryan, like Thad Matta: those who look straight at them and plead or show disgust directly at them.

For an example of this, watch how PJ works the sideline ref with about 2 minutes left on Mo's 1st down run, where they were reviewing the play. Direct, confident. And honestly, given how important these kinds of things are, one could easily argue that one thing that significantly hinders Richard is his lack of ability to work the refs properly.

If we execute, we win.
It's both things.

The thing is this is nothing new on this board and the football side too. The refs screw the Gophers every game and if it wasn’t for the refs the Gophers would never lose.
The refs blew calls. They refs blow calls every game against both sides. No one ever remembers the calls that go in your team’s favor. Around here though if you didn’t know better one would think the Gophers never get a call.

FWIW, I think the game was lost late in regulation. Gophers up 5 due to Carr pushing tempo and driving to the hoop. Then the Gophs got the lead, and they backed off and tried to milk the clock, and lost all their tempo. If you get the lead by pushing tempo and driving to the basket - keep doing it until the other team stops it. they took their feet off the gas and lost the opportunity to win in regulation.

thoughts - Carr cannot play the entire game. Have to get him some rest or he's going to die by the end of the season. That is where not having Willis hurts. It would help to have another ball-handler on the roster.

Somehow have to find a way to get Kalscheur some looks. Gabe really cannot create his own shot. He needs teammates to rotate the ball and get it to him so he can shoot in rhythm. contrast that with the 3-point shooter from Purdue who has a quicker release and gets off shots before defense can close.

The thing is this is nothing new on this board and the football side too. The refs screw the Gophers every game and if it wasn’t for the refs the Gophers would never lose.
The refs blew calls. They refs blow calls every game against both sides. No one ever remembers the calls that go in your team’s favor. Around here though if you didn’t know better one would think the Gophers never get a call.
All right, fair enough. Go on, simply list all of the questionable calls that went in favor of the Gophers, beginning in the second half and going through the last 30 minutes of game time. Persuade us with more inane-speak.

Absolutely not true. While Carr had 6 turnovers between the last 2 minutes and the overtimes, he was blatantly fouled from behind near the end of regulation. Carr would've been at the FT line with a 3-point lead, needing to make 1 to seal the game. Purdue was absolutely trying to foul, and officials have to know that situation in the moment.
The refs missed a call at the end of regulation. It happens and it will happen again and not just against the Gophers.
However, as you point out Carr turned the ball over 6 times during the end of regulation and OT. Care play unbelievably for the majority of the game but when they needed him to make a play he didn’t. That cost the team more than a missed call.

All right, go on, simply list all of the questionable calls that went in favor of the Gophers, beginning in the second half and going through the last 30 minutes of game time.
Just put me on ignore. I’ll be happier.

I didn't think it was possible for me to feel sick about sports after yesterday's fantastic win, but I feel absolutely sick right now. I watched the game on delay and that was a hell of an effort by an extremely scrappy Gopher team. In the second half (and beyond) it felt like everything went against them. From terrible calls to poor shooters making 3's, it seemed like Purdue was destined to win the game. The Gophers didn't quit and took control of a game that would have ended up in a blowout many times in the past. The effort from kids like Tre Williams and Jarvis Omersa was great to see and Gable was battling his ass off as always. Marcus Carr absolutely took over on the offensive end. These kids deserved a win tonight.

I absolutely hated the Pitino timeout with about 2:30 left and the Gophers up 63-58. They had all the momentum and a worst case scenario involved a late shot clock miss and Purdue getting the ball back with 2:00 or so left. The worst case scenario still happened, but on Purdue's next possession they got an easy Haarms bucket because Daniel (who had been put back in the game at the timeout) was deathly afraid of picking up his 5th foul. I would have much, much rather let Carr go again with no timeout and no chance for Painter to talk defense with his team, and then call a timeout if it was unsusccessful and Purdue came back and scored on the other end. It turned out that the Gophers didn't score again in regulation and you simply can't go the last 3 minutes of a game on the road and not score and expect to close someone out.

I don't know what to say about Marcus Carr. He was fantastic for the most part, but a point guard making the turnovers he did at the end of regulation and the end of the first overtime is just inexcusable. The Gophers were so unlucky at the end of regulation for that turnover by Carr to go perfectly off Williams foot/shin and start a break and then to have Daniel Oturu's great block not only end up back in Purdue's hands but eventually in a corner 3 for their best shooter. It was so strange that Painter wasn't fouling to start that possession given his team was down 3 and the differential was less than 10 seconds. That was an absolute gift for the Gophers and the game was essentially over because of it. All they had to do was not turn it over at that point.

To show the resilience after that meltdown to regroup and be in a position to win again in overtime on the road was incredibly impressive. Again, Marcus Carr has the ball in his hands up 1 with less than 20 seconds to play and turns it over again. He made the exact same mistake of trying to split two guys in a situation where it was unnecessary again. Maybe Pitino could have called a timeout here, but at some point you have to trust your guys to make competent decisions and value the ball. It's a shame that a guy who played so well made the critical mistakes to essentially lose the game.

The sequence where Daniel misses the free throw to put the Gophers back up and then Stefanovic makes the very difficult 3 was the final dagger the Gophers couldn't overcome. I was hoping they'd just get a 2 on the next possession and cut it to one, but they kept jacking 3's and missed 3 or 4 looks (at least one wide open) to essentially end the game. It felt almost wrong that the Stefanovic 3 went in with the way the Gophers had scrapped and clawed back AGAIN.

Officiating: Off the top of my head, you had the terrible foul on Oturu when he was attempting to get a putback that ended up in Haarms shooting free throws (I think), you had the offensive foul on Alihan where he was posting up and Stefanovic initiated a hooking sequence because he was pinned for an easy bucket, you had Alihan get fouled with possession of the ball and the refs call a jump, and you had Alihan (again) called for a kicked ball which would have been a Gopher break the other way. This just stuff just makes me feel worse for the kids because they overcame all of it and deserved a win tonight.

The Gophers got a few calls in the first half and lost several calls in the second half and OT. One of three things happened: the refs overall favored the Gophers, the refs overall favored the Boilers, or the refs made an even number of calls each way. @scools12, which of those three things do you think happened?

Just put me on ignore. I’ll be happier.
Either you can or you cannot back up your argument. Can you even name one bad call in the Gophers' favor in the last 30 minutes? Just one?

All fan bases think their team gets the worst calls. They also use if, could have should have. This loss is not on the coaches. They had a great plan but in critical situations under pressure some of the players made poor mistakes. Super hard fought game and still love the prospects of the team. Each fan can express their own take. If someone thinks officials cost the Gophers that is just fine. I do not. We do not have to insult each other for a difference of how we saw the game.

I absolutely hated the Pitino timeout with about 2:30 left and the Gophers up 63-58. They had all the momentum and a worst case scenario involved a late shot clock miss and Purdue getting the ball back with 2:00 or so left. The worst case scenario still happened, but on Purdue's next possession they got an easy Haarms bucket because Daniel (who had been put back in the game at the timeout) was deathly afraid of picking up his 5th foul. I would have much, much rather let Carr go again with no timeout and no chance for Painter to talk defense with his team, and then call a timeout if it was unsusccessful and Purdue came back and scored on the other end. It turned out that the Gophers didn't score again in regulation and you simply can't go the last 3 minutes of a game on the road and not score and expect to close someone out.

This. Man, of all of the bad times to take a timeout, that was an absolutely terrible one. Gophers were threatening to put the game away at that moment on momentum alone.

The Gophers got a few calls in the first half and lost several calls in the second half and OT. One of three things happened: the refs overall favored the Gophers, the refs overall favored the Boilers, or the refs made an even number of calls each way. @scools12, which of those three things do you think happened?
Calls even out in the end. There refs are not out to get the Gophers no matter how many times you’re told that on this board.

Top Bottom