***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Either you can or you cannot back up your argument. Can you even name one bad call in the Gophers' favor in the last 30 minutes? Just one?
Off the top of my head no and yet the Gophers still didn’t lose because of it.

Calls even out in the end. There refs are not out to get the Gophers no matter how many times you’re told that on this board.
Must poor officiating be a "conspiracy" to be unfair? Your arguments are nonsensical and silly.

Off the top of my head no and yet the Gophers still didn’t lose because of it.
I want to give you a final chance to redeem your silliness. Are you trying to simply argue that the referees were not the ONLY factor, or are you actually trying to argue that they were no factor whatsoever in the outcome of the game? Because the latter is literally what your posts are saying.

This. Man, of all of the bad times to take a timeout, that was an absolutely terrible one. Gophers were threatening to put the game away at that moment on momentum alone.
Perhaps he knew that Carr needed a timeout..... I thought Pitino and staff coached an amazing game at Purdue without Willis. We got, in my view, better looks than Purdue. They were hot with the 3 ball and we didn't catch a break at the end. They call a foul instead of Carr turning it over and we win the game in all likelihood. Nevertheless- I love this team. They are going to fight every game and there is enough talent here to have a good year.

Perhaps he knew that Carr needed a timeout.....
haha. Well, given Carr to that point had converted amazing scoring plays a bunch of times in a row, it could be said that the TO zapped everything out of Carr. He clearly wasn't the same player after the TO as he was before it.

haha. Well, given Carr to that point had converted amazing scoring plays a bunch of times in a row, it could be said that the TO zapped everything out of Carr. He clearly wasn't the same player after the TO as he was before it.

When the announcers, opposing coach in his comments, and Pitino all mention how gassed Carr was at the end of the game....I think that was a big part of what happened here. Really unfortunate because he was terrific for the first 38 minutes of the game.

Must poor officiating be a "conspiracy" to be unfair? Your arguments are nonsensical and silly.

I want to give you a final chance to redeem your silliness. Are you trying to simply argue that the referees were not the ONLY factor, or are you actually trying to argue that they were no factor whatsoever in the outcome of the game? Because the latter is literally what your posts are saying.
The biggest factor in the outcome of the game was Carr’s multiple turnovers and the teams inability to execute during the end of regulation and OT.
Now do us both a favor and don’t just threaten to do it actually do it and put me on ignore.

The biggest factor in the outcome of the game was Carr’s multiple turnovers and the teams inability to execute during the end of regulation and OT.
Now do us both a favor and don’t just threaten to do it actually do it and put me on ignore.
Yes, you are now ignored. You're welcome.

Brutal game. Hopefully this makes us better in the end and learn from the end of the game mistakes. I really think this team has ncaa tournament potential.

There is a bizarre number of posts in this thread from scools12 defending the officiating in this game. The officials did not cost the Gophers the game as they had the ball up 3 late and completely failed to execute. That said, it's amazing to me that you (or anyone) can't acknowledge that officiating hurt the Gophers chances to win this game.

I haven't read any post on this thread that suggests the officials were "out to get the Gophers", just that a number of key calls went against the Gophers. Purdue is coached by Matt Painter and has a boisterous crowd that was lobbying for calls all night. The Gophers are coached by Richard Pitino and have an older crowd at the Barn that mostly sits on its hands. The home court effect just isn't as strong for the Gophers because of these factors.

Officiating in a close game rarely results in the calls "evening out" if a couple tough ones go against one team in the closing minutes. You hope that your team has a game where they get a couple calls in a nail biter later in the season and that the officiating becomes a wash over the long term. Tonight was obviously nowhere near as egregious, but the Rams got away with PI against the Saints to decide the NFC Championship Game last year while the Patriots got away with PI against the Rams to decide the SuperBowl. Those calls evened out for the Rams, but unfortunately not for the Saints (bad side) or Patriots (good side).

That was an amazing game! This was fight from a team that previously the most quotable statement on the season was an erroneous 'turn out the lights - Elvis has left the building'.
There are disappointing losses where you know the team sucks, and the rest of the winter will be cold as hell. This wasn't one of those. In fact, this game makes me not want to miss any future contests.

Hopefully big crowds at Williams going forward. Seems like talented, hard nosed, high character team that should be easy to get behind and fun to cheer for.

Do refs make bad calls? Absolutely!

Did the refs in the Purdue game get in a huddle and say "Let's screw the Gophers and make calls that favor Purdue?" No bleepin' way.

There is no conspiracy. You have every right to believe that some of the calls hurt the Gophers. But those calls were not intentional. Let's be clear about that.

In the end, calls influence the outcome of games. But in 99.5% of all games, the outcome of the game is determined by the players. go back in the 1st half when there were some missed layups or put-backs. I remember Oturu missing a bunny. If one of those shots goes in, that also changes the outcome of the game.

Don't like the officiating - Then don't put the game in a situation where one call can tip the outcome. Make plays. win the game. The Gophers didn't make enough plays to win the game.

If only Omersa could shoot and make a basket from 15 feet and in. We are playing 4 on 5 on offense when he's in the game. His defender just ignores him as a potential offensive threat. If he can gain some semblance of an offensive game this team wins tonight's game.

Just finished the game. Haven't read anything on this thread but I assume my take is nothing new.

The refs were more pathetic than normal. Just the worst crew in a while.

I was going to post about how I was wrong about Carr not being a pg and then he had one of the worst meltdowns I've ever seen. So good turned into a mistake orgy. We needed another ball handler to help down the stretch. Greenlee isn't that guy.

Just a gut punched type of game. Purdue was dead until the game became 5 against 8 and Carr started turning it over.

Last edited:

Do refs make bad calls? Absolutely!

Did the refs in the Purdue game get in a huddle and say "Let's screw the Gophers and make calls that favor Purdue?" No bleepin' way.

There is no conspiracy. You have every right to believe that some of the calls hurt the Gophers. But those calls were not intentional. Let's be clear about that.

In the end, calls influence the outcome of games. But in 99.5% of all games, the outcome of the game is determined by the players. go back in the 1st half when there were some missed layups or put-backs. I remember Oturu missing a bunny. If one of those shots goes in, that also changes the outcome of the game.

Don't like the officiating - Then don't put the game in a situation where one call can tip the outcome. Make plays. win the game. The Gophers didn't make enough plays to win the game.

Sorry dude, but closely matched teams end up in tight games and officiating can make all the difference in the world. Marcus Carr was at the rim all night and was hit just about every time, including once by Harms on what should have been an and-one; Oturu's last two fouls were total BS; Harms fouled Demir on a clear path situation; the kicked ball call against Demir was BS; Carr was intentionally fouled in the first over time etc etc. The refs had a bad bias tonight.

Oturu was fouled when they called traveling on him....

There is a bizarre number of posts in this thread from scools12 defending the officiating in this game. The officials did not cost the Gophers the game as they had the ball up 3 late and completely failed to execute.
I have not defended the officiating in the game. What I did was state multiple times the officiating did not cost the Gophers the game.

For some on here that opinion is too much for them to take.

I have not defended the officiating in the game. What I did was state multiple times the officiating did not cost the Gophers the game.

Gophers are an imperfect team with zero depth that played at 95% of their potential in a hostile road environment. The biased officiating was enough to tip the game in Purdue's favor.

Maybe it's too much for people to take or maybe emotions are high after a frustrating loss and people are reading in to the extremes of each others takes instead of taking them at face value. Me reading you vehemently defend your officiating take had me assuming something that wasn't your actual position. That was my error.

Maybe it's too much for people to take or maybe emotions are high after a frustrating loss and people are reading in to the extremes of each others takes instead of taking them at face value. Me reading you vehemently defend your officiating take had me assuming something that wasn't your actual position. That was my error.
No, if your reply was to that ____, it wasn't your error.

Last edited:

If someone refuses to acknowledge how poor the officiating was tonight and how it contributed to us losing the game then that's as good as defending it. How can anybody, much less a gopher fan, blame our team entirely for this loss? Our players fought hard all night long to overcome bad call after bad call and fell just short... absolutely absurd to state that the refs didn't have a hand in us losing.

I can list around 10 or so calls off the dome that were straight BS in the 2nd half / OT of this game. Sure we choked at the end but the game should've already been out of reach.

Willis also brings the ball upcourt which was missed last night. Greenlee should have gotten in more earlier in the game. The refs were influenced by the crowd on several calls. Carr lost the ball down the stretch on several double teams and he did try to play hero ball the last 4 possessions of regulation. (if he was fresher it may have worked) Pitino has a hard time getting his teams to try to draw fouls in the second half - we had 3 of thier guards with 3 fouls early and they didn’t get another. Oturu had 4 and they exploited it with easy post passes to harms for easy baskets. Road 3 point shooting has to improve. This team plays good defense and is fun to watch.

Should have ran the offense through oturu at the top of the key rather than a tired Carr trying to dribble time off the clock

I didn't notice the bad officiating at all, on the kicking call on Demir look at the replay, he moved his leg to block the ball after it was passed, it was a good call, in my mind this game is on Pitino, with the weapons the Gophers have a good coach would have won this one. It's tough because this game might impact making the tournament.

I think Block M nailed it, we are an imperfect team that played well but needed a few breaks. Carr was awesome for the first 35 min, in the last few minutes of regulation and the 2 OTs he was a trainwreck. But hes young and inconsistent, those things will happen. Refs didnt cost us the game but they also did us 0 favors and boosted Purdues chances. Free throw shooting also reared its ugly head.

These are all reasons we are somewhere from a 7 seed ncaa tournament team to a 4 seed NIT team. Lack of talented depth and youth makes for a lot of highs and lows.

Should have ran the offense through oturu at the top of the key rather than a tired Carr trying to dribble time off the clock
Yup.

It was clear after the first couple Carr turnovers (when MN was trying to run out the clock) that the ball needed to move!!!!! That is a coaching decision.

That said, Haarms fouled Carr on the drive to the hoop and there was no call. If Carr makes the FT, game over. Also, horrible call for traveling on Daniel. That is a foul all day every day.

I would like the GH holier than thou crowd to defend the refs performance tonight.

Here cncmin is how it works. There are bad calls in every game against every team. Do those bad calls when they happen at the end of a game sometimes play a part in the outcome of the game - yes. However, that was not the case in this game.
So, the travelling call on Daniel(no foul), and lack of a foul called on Haarms on the Carr drive didn't play a part in the outcome?

You are flat out wrong.

Just finished taped delay. What a ridiculous screw job by the refs.
As others have said though, Carr was absolutely gassed, he kept us in the game but could barely dribble and run at the same time by the first
I think Block M nailed it, we are an imperfect team that played well but needed a few breaks. Carr was awesome for the first 35 min, in the last few minutes of regulation and the 2 OTs he was a trainwreck. But hes young and inconsistent, those things will happen. Refs didnt cost us the game but they also did us 0 favors and boosted Purdues chances. Free throw shooting also reared its ugly head.

These are all reasons we are somewhere from a 7 seed ncaa tournament team to a 4 seed NIT team. Lack of talented depth and youth makes for a lot of highs and lows.

Gophers shot 79% from the free throw line.

We had three circus three point shots that went in that were much more impactful to the game.

Top Bottom