***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PSU IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

It was a lot of fun watching the individual efforts of Daniel Oturu (basically all game) and Marcus Carr (mostly just the 2nd half). Those guys deserved a better result and they certainly deserve a better whistle than they got from the refs today.

I don't understand how we just saw the best team performance on a full 40 minute basis on Wednesday and then turned around and looked so inept for the first 26ish minutes of this game. The first few minutes of the second half were some of the worst minutes of basketball of the season. I thought the defensive effort in the first half was mostly strong, but it went the way of the offense to start the second half. I am not sure the offense looked any better to start the comeback as it was mostly tough shot making from Carr on individual plays that cut the 20 point lead to 11. After that point, things starting looking better.

Going with the strange decisions, I certainly could have done without Michael Hurt bizarrely getting the minutes off the bench in the first half. Why would you put him in instead of Ihnen, Williams, or Omersa? What changed between Wednesday and Saturday? We also saw Greenlee come in and give up a 3 in like the 30 seconds Pitino tried to rest Carr.

It would be huge if Demir would step in and take a charge on a drive or two. Too often, he's the last line of defense and offers no deterrence at the rim. There were a couple of opportunities late where he could have stepped in front of someone and made a huge play.

Really pleased with the fight to try to come back in a game that looked way out of reach, but discouraged with what put the Gophers in that position to begin with.
Welcome back. We really need your input and wisdom after these loses.

Always have been.
How impressive. When you are not committed to one particular team this rings hollow. It's an inarguable position - "I have high standards" but I'm not buying its application in the moment - a loss against a top ranked competitor. It works much better when you can apply it across multiple fields. Perhaps profit taking requires a better return on your investment?

Top 10 in the country. Yes- if Oturu returns, that is totally in play. Remember what we did the year before the Final Four run? NIT-lost in the first or second round to Tulane.

Oturu and Carr are special players and Oturu would be a candidate for player of the year if not the favorite. Depth is going to be way, way better and we are not done filling out the class.

Oturu/Freeman/Omersa
Ihnen/ Curry/Mitchell
Williams/ Willis
Gabe
Carr/Mashburn

Freeman? Look how much Oturu developed. Freeman doesn't have that kind of talent but he is big and mobile, I am not concerned about him as a solid depth player next year. We are not screaming for depth at center this year. Oturu is as good as it gets and Omersa has been a solid defender in relief.

I'll give you a Freeman comparable - John Thomas. That's what Freeman is going to be if he is here 4 years.
Did you really just compare Sam Freeman to John Thomas?

They got obliterated in round 2, after getting in at 9-11 in conference.

We need higher expectations here.

347 D1 teams. Made to the final 32 teams. I consider that a success. Top 10%

How impressive. When you are not committed to one particular team this rings hollow. It's an inarguable position - "I have high standards" but I'm not buying its application in the moment - a loss against a top ranked competitor. It works much better when you can apply it across multiple fields. Perhaps profit taking requires a better return on your investment?
Fan card monitor again. So you decide that committed to 4 four programs is somehow hollow. Yet i keep writing that check, going to games and cheering. All because i expect winning seasons, championships etc..

347 D1 teams. Made to the final 32 teams. I consider that a success. Top 10%
So by that measure, the years that we do not make it does that mean we tied for 69th. Or that teams that won 3 games in the tourney as three times better. Oh well, each fan has their own standard. Same for every facet of life. That is one of the great things about life. We all look at the same things and see something differently, feel differently. I do not think there is anything wrong with fans that think 7 years in that they expect more than one first round win, not even a sniff of a conference title and a horrendous % with declining attendance. All the while still keeping the faith that it will turn and still supporting the team.

Fan card monitor again. So you decide that committed to 4 four programs is somehow hollow. Yet i keep writing that check, going to games and cheering. All because i expect winning seasons, championships etc..
So that sets off your alarms, huh? The idea of 'fandom'? Silly - I'm the opposite of what most would consider a fan here. It isnt that at all. For you its obviously business. Your checks counter my checks and commitment to community - I know that's probably true. It's the way of the world and its surely landed here in Minnesota. Not sure I'm glad you've deemed us worthy of your investment, given your money probably speaks louder than my history with the U and the state. But thanks for making your investment known. Will your influence create a better program or bring down what's being BUILT. Won't it be fun to find out!!

So that sets off your alarms, huh? The idea of 'fandom'? Silly - I'm the opposite of what most would consider a fan here. It isnt that at all. For you its obviously business. Your checks counter my checks and commitment to community - I know that's probably true. It's the way of the world and its surely landed here in Minnesota. Not sure I'm glad you've deemed us worthy of your investment, given your money probably speaks louder than my history with the U and the state. But thanks for making your investment known. Will your influence create a better program or bring down what's being BUILT. Won't it be fun to find out!!
If my financial committment's are larger, or over a longer period of time or not does not in fact make me feel like a better or a worse fan. As someone who loves the college game i take great enjoyment from watching how a program is built up so well that it is hard to get a seat, championships are won and the atmosphere is far greater. I am not provincial, i am not from here. We were raised in Carmel, traveled a ton and went to undergrad at UCLA. Another program i support loyally that under performs by their standards. How can my influence bring down what is being built ? How have i helped or hurt the mediocre record in all my years going to games here ?

If my financial committment's are larger, or over a longer period of time or not does not in fact make me feel like a better or a worse fan. As someone who loves the college game i take great enjoyment from watching how a program is built up so well that it is hard to get a seat, championships are won and the atmosphere is far greater. I am not provincial, i am not from here. We were raised in Carmel, traveled a ton and went to undergrad at UCLA. Another program i support loyally that under performs by their standards. How can my influence bring down what is being built ? How have i helped or hurt the mediocre record in all my years going to games here ?
No, but it may inpact your influence, which the U has recently decided is going to be based on $. We don't know whose contributions are larger but given your assumption, yours must be quite 'impressive'.
So tell me then how my so-called fan card monitor is a issue for you? I don't care about litmus tests. You spend a very significant amount of time on this fan board - is this en lieu of the NASNAQ? You have an agenda and its still a bit opaque to me.

Gabe and Willis simply have to make shots. That is what caused the horrid first half.

Yes, this is pretty much the key to our season. Carr and Oturu are great but need help in tough games.

No, but it may inpact your influence, which the U has recently decided is going to be based on $. We don't know whose contributions are larger but given your assumption, yours must be quite 'impressive'.
So tell me then how my so-called fan card monitor is a issue for you? I don't care about litmus tests. You spend a very significant amount of time on this fan board - is this en lieu of the NASNAQ? You have an agenda and its still a bit opaque to me.

You started a ridiculous argument and now you're feeling compelled to defend yourself and to attack him, both in the cause of a foolish argument.

So much emotion over so little consequence. What exactly are the virtues of fan purity? That's a rhetorical question.

Carmel?! WTF? You should be out there now enjoying the Pebble Beach Pro Am, and not here shoveling snow.;);)

Badger does have an agenda. Some have figured him out, others, sadly, can only focus on his drivel and think he is so insightful.

Badger.

Carmel?! WTF? You should be out there now enjoying the Pebble Beach Pro Am, and not here shoveling snow.;);)
There is truth in that but often we find ourselves being gone for that as it is not the local event it was when it was the Clambake. Plus when your on the grandson tour and waiting for the first great grandchild to arrive it seems a smoother ride if i do what i am told.

You started a ridiculous argument and now you're feeling compelled to defend yourself and to attack him, both in the cause of a foolish argument.

So much emotion over so little consequence. What exactly are the virtues of fan purity? That's a rhetorical question.
Attack? What a tired refrain regarding Badger.

Why dont you rip the living $hit out of Badger when he takes literal potshots at the MN coach?

Badger has never, not once, answered to taking unnecessary shots at RP. And geniuses like you stay silent.

Actually we’re discussing in two threads personal investment vs corporate influence. If Pitino goes, there will be fresh water wells developed in the sub Sahara. I’ve been so selfish.

Actually we’re discussing in two threads personal investment vs corporate influence. If Pitino goes, there will be fresh water wells developed in the sub Sahara. I’ve been so selfish.
I never made reference to Pitino going or the new coach having players that go on and do great things. The idea of winning big to do better is not a new concept. If we were in the midst of multiple conference titles we would sell out Williams, donors would show up and give more, the endowment would grow, more young people would benefit. Winning can mean everyone wins. Hell, even those of us that go to games have a better time when the place is full. Other programs had the same attendance issues here until they won big.

Why dont you rip the living $hit out of Badger when he takes literal potshots at the MN coach?

Because I don't care much for Pitino either. I guess you don't read my posts much.

However, the discussion I responded to had nothing to do with Pitino. The argument was a pissing contest over who had a greater right to claim fan status and then drifted into verbiage about the influence of money and corporatism in sports. Much ado about nothing I think. If one chooses to engage in big time sports, then money is a fact of life.

I guess taking unwarranted shots at the coach is acceptable to you, too. Duly noted.

Because I don't care much for Pitino either. I guess you don't read my posts much.

However, the discussion I responded to had nothing to do with Pitino. The argument was a pissing contest over who had a greater right to claim fan status and then drifted into verbiage about the influence of money and corporatism in sports. Much ado about nothing I think. If one chooses to engage in big time sports, then money is a fact of life.
You really have poor reading comprehension. Apparently guys can only think in terms of pissing matches. It began where you think it drifted.
I'm not the least interested in or concerned about BB's ties to UW or his true loyalties. I wanted him to reveal his agenda and he did to my satisfaction - but mostly in the other thread. I have opinions on what the domination of the corporate seats did to the environment at Williams in the past. Builts agenda here is to return the influx of big money - as he states in the other thread that the U has left 10s of millions on the table.
If it doesnt interest or concern you, I'm fine with that. No problem. You can always ignore me. Just clarifying that you're clueless on what I was interested in finding out. Enjoy your day, and try to avoid starting pissing contests like the one I'm dodging here!

If it doesnt interest or concern you, I'm fine with that. No problem. You can always ignore me. Just clarifying that you're clueless on what I was interested in finding out. Enjoy your day, and try to avoid starting pissing contests like the one I'm dodging here!

The last line is transparent passive aggressiveness. You give yourself too much credit.

My own view is that linking sports entertainment with colleges and universities has had a damaging effect on higher education overall and was destined to lead to what we have now. We are the only nation that does this, at least in a big way, yet the others still manage to produce high level athletes without linking sports to educational institutions. Nevertheless, if you are going to play this game at a high level, reliance on donors, sponsors, advertising, and TV revenue is what you'll get.

As far as ignoring you, I'm not that sensitive to contrary views so I've ever felt the need to do that and I always chuckle at the dimwitted pomposity of those who threaten others with that.

Last edited:

You really have poor reading comprehension. Apparently guys can only think in terms of pissing matches. It began where you think it drifted.
I'm not the least interested in or concerned about BB's ties to UW or his true loyalties. I wanted him to reveal his agenda and he did to my satisfaction - but mostly in the other thread. I have opinions on what the domination of the corporate seats did to the environment at Williams in the past. Builts agenda here is to return the influx of big money - as he states in the other thread that the U has left 10s of millions on the table.
My agenda is for the U to have a fantastic basketball program that wins championships with high ethics. I am actually in favor of not having athletic scholarships and not admitting students that would not be admitted otherwise. But that ship sailed a long time ago. Now we have a hungry monster that must be fed. I am in favor of big money donors being moved from the best seats in favor of students sitting there, like they do at other places. Then you ferret out who is truly committed to a better atmosphere. They can still be served by putting up 100,000 to 250,000 for the first few rows. When you win you can do this, others have.

There is truth in that but often we find ourselves being gone for that as it is not the local event it was when it was the Clambake. Plus when your on the grandson tour and waiting for the first great grandchild to arrive it seems a smoother ride if i do what i am told.
Just curious...I get that you have all the money you need and can afford to buy season tickets for any team you want and show up when you can. That's great, I certainly have no problem with that and I have friends who have season tickets and live elsewhere and are not at many games- no issue with that. If you had finite resources and could only afford tickets to one team- which team would it be?

My agenda is for the U to have a fantastic basketball program that wins championships with high ethics. I am actually in favor of not having athletic scholarships and not admitting students that would not be admitted otherwise. But that ship sailed a long time ago. Now we have a hungry monster that must be fed. I am in favor of big money donors being moved from the best seats in favor of students sitting there, like they do at other places. Then you ferret out who is truly committed to a better atmosphere. They can still be served by putting up 100,000 to 250,000 for the first few rows. When you win you can do this, others have.
One problem there is the students would want to stand and the oldsters behind them would bail. We have a lot of Musselman bred fans just holding onto seats who are no longer very enthusiastic and that does set a tone. I would be willing to gamble it for sure, but they would take a hit for it. It's an ideal strategy where the arena is built for it and there is a separation and step up between the students and the next group back. I suppose you could pull out a row of seats to make it happen....

Just curious...I get that you have all the money you need and can afford to buy season tickets for any team you want and show up when you can. That's great, I certainly have no problem with that and I have friends who have season tickets and live elsewhere and are not at many games- no issue with that. If you had finite resources and could only afford tickets to one team- which team would it be?
That would be easy because without the resources i would not be able to travel and i would give what i could to my alma mater,UCLA. Of course there they are in a titanic struggle to fix the athletic department but at least they never stop making changes as they must win championships to draw a crowd.

They got obliterated in round 2, after getting in at 9-11 in conference.

We need higher expectations here.

Forgetting some key facts so that you can get your point across? We played without Murphy, Stockman, and obviously Curry was already out for the year at that point. Hurt had to play extended minutes at PF. To top it off, Gabe and Omersa were in foul trouble all game. No chance we win against MSU at any point with a completely depleted frontcourt.

Top Bottom