***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PITTSBURGH BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

You fail to understand that just because a body may fit in your eyes, it may not in Ben's eyes.

Well, so far I'd say that if Pohto didn't meet Ben's eye test but Thompson did, then there is something wrong with Ben's eyes.

It seems like some of you are invested in the idea that Ben is some all knowing sage and he had a grand plan for everything. That's naive. Even the best and brightest make mistakes and muddle through.

I'm just trying to figure out how constantly rehashing about what happened or did not happen in the past (not personally directed at you or any other specific individual on this board) is going to change or improve the current situation.

You must be new at this. It's called expressing frustration and letting off steam. Yeah, we knew the front court was shallow and weak before but this was the first game where it was glaringly obvious and really cost us. It's still early yet but Pitt is rated dead last among Power 6 teams by the Sagarin ratings. Most of the rest of our P6 competition will be well above that.

Hugley is ok. He might get an overseas contract with a team in a third tier league in a third tier country.
Can you give examples of a third tier country or two? I'm wondering if I've ever been to one.

My favorite thing about the win , no matter the opponent is these guys are cohesive, defensive and willing to win a rock fight. That is the culture this staff is committed to. There will be games where the opponent will put the hurt on this roster but not on the principles or the program. These guys are close together.
I like your take. But with so few guys on the roster returning next year, how much does what is being established this year with mature players carry over into next year? I think it's a fair to ask how much of what we are seeing has been instilled by coaching staff, and how much was already there when the players arrived from their previous stops. My guess is that it is a lot easier to instill culture in a group of 21-22 plus year old players who are previously disposed to it than 18 year olds who are brand new to the culture and adult life.

Tangentially, a friend who is a fan of another B1G school was impressed with how poised the Gophers were at the end of the game. I was too, especially since we have seen so little of that in recent years. How much of that poise is "culture" and how much of it is maturity and experience?

Freeman could havdefenseSame helped hugely against Hugly last night. He could have meant a lot to this team on against big bodies- such as every team in the Big Ten has. If we had some presence on the boards and defensively at center, I am beginning to be convinced we could have won 6-8 games with this coaching and these players. As it stands right now, it is going to be difficult to impossible to stop more talented opposing teams in the Big Ten from having their way in the paint.

Otherwise I am pretty impressed with how we are playing with what we have. We will win a few games when Battle or Willis get red hot from outside and there might be a couple of teams in the Big Ten that we can beat with a normal shooting effort.
Freeman stats playing for Pacific (4-3): 7GP, 2 starts, 13 mpg, 7.1 ppg, 3.1 Reb, 73% FG, 67% FT and 4 blocks. No doubt he would have been an asset in the 5 spot. But............

I like your take. But with so few guys on the roster returning next year, how much does what is being established this year with mature players carry over into next year? I think it's a fair to ask how much of what we are seeing has been instilled by coaching staff, and how much was already there when the players arrived from their previous stops. My guess is that it is a lot easier to instill culture in a group of 21-22 plus year old players who are previously disposed to it than 18 year olds who are brand new to the culture and adult life.

Tangentially, a friend who is a fan of another B1G school was impressed with how poised the Gophers were at the end of the game. I was too, especially since we have seen so little of that in recent years. How much of that poise is "culture" and how much of it is maturity and experience?
Perhaps equal parts, but it does make one wonder whether there's an undiscovered formula out there: one where you do business to a greater degree by bringing in mature and experienced transfers.

I don't know, though, if I'd call it culture. What I see is a team that seems to know what it's doing out there. It's why I was such a booster of Craig Smith--and of course why, as many of us hate to admit, Bo Ryan had such great results: the ability to teach and get your players to execute. I have to hand it to Ben and his staff: this team has knowhow.

This is a fair question. Teams with experienced guards are often a "tough out".

I do expect there to be an increase in talent next year and probably a slight decrease in how smart we play. It's just natural with going younger. That said, for me, just the philosophy of the defense and offense is a really good sign. I'd have said this if we were 3-3.

For me, I was stoked the second I saw a bunch of off-ball screens and us not doubling the post. I yelled "thank you" at my computer while watching the first game on BTN +.

Perhaps equal parts, but it does make one wonder whether there's an undiscovered formula out there: one where you do business to a greater degree by bringing in mature and experienced transfers.

I don't know, though, if I'd call it culture. What I see is a team that seems to know what it's doing out there. It's why I was such a booster of Craig Smith--and of course why, as many of us hate to admit, Bo Ryan had such great results: the ability to teach and get your players to execute. I have to hand it to Ben and his staff: this team has knowhow.
Welcome back! Seems like you were gone a long time.

Especially ones that aren't likely to play in the NBA. I think there is going to be an efficiency for the mid-tier programs looking to build depth/role players with this model.

Gee, am I supposed to apologize for not putting on an eternal happy face? Sorry, but conformity has never been a primary goal of mine.

I understand being irritated by people who a relentlessly negative but I'm not one of those. I give this staff credit for what they have done well.
This is the problem with the discussion board format. One often replies to a post in a thread more generally than to the poster. I did not mean to point the finger squarely at you.... just the general rehashing that people here tend to do.

Our roster is what it is... there are no trades in college basketball so we are stuck with this all year. No amount of second guessing or hand wringing will change that.

The focus from here forth should be on how to mitigate for the lack of size in game-planning for this year and recruiting additional bigs for next year and beyond.

I think older players would be less likely to buy in than younger players. Older players are more set in their ways.

The first paragraph is preposterous. Coaching staffs don't turn to message boards for suggestions. I'm sure they do their best to avoid them most of the time. Unless Treyton Thompson suddenly appears in the lineup and is a revelation or Fox is able to return healthy in January, I don't think anything can be done about it anyway.

None of us are in a position to improve or harm this team. I'm simply looking at a recruiting omission that was quite noticeable at the time, appears glaringly obvious now, and hoping this doesn't happen again.
They tried to land two post players who decided to turn pro during the summer and I don't believe either is on a pro team currently.

I think older players would be less likely to buy in than younger players. Older players are more set in their ways.
But the recruiters have a lot more data on older guys, thus reducing the risk of bringing in players who would not buy in. You would not bring in a player without a high level of confidence of his buying in.

They tried to land two post players who decided to turn pro during the summer and I don't believe either is on a pro team currently.
Yes, I know that but it looks like we needed a Plan A, B, C, D, E, and F, etc. and also needed to "settle" if that's what it took to get at least one more serviceable big body. Most of these players were short timers anyway; not long-term commitments.

Why was he "counting on those players?" Bad things happen all the time. Lets go through the list of some Gopher front court men during the Pitino era:

Gaston - simply could not play
Bakary - you didn't want him playing more than 10 minutes a game if you could help it
Josh Martin - quit the team and transferred after a few games
Reggie Lynch - big impact player but suspended and never played again
Eric Curry - injured; lost substantial time and never regained what he lost
Michael Hurt - couldn't play at this level
Davonte Fitzgerald - injured and lost a full year after a sit-out transfer year; not so good when he played; for all practical purposes, a bust
Jarvis Omersa - nuff' said
Liam Robbins - quality big man; unfortunately he played only 23 games before being injured and transferred afterward. He still hasn't played at his new school and probably wouldn't have played yet if he remained here.

I REPEAT: BAD THINGS HAPPEN ALL THE TIME! YOU ALWAYS NEED INSURANCE PLAYERS. ANY COACH WHO DOESN'T INCORPORATE THAT SENSE OF PESSIMISM IN HIS THINKING IS A FOOL.

We had two freshman commits when Ben Johnson was hired. One of them stayed and another did not. So far it looks like the wrong one stayed. Pohto is averaging 17.3 minutes a game, 7.2 points per game, 3.5 rebounds a game, a player efficiency rating of 19.7, and a win shares per 40 minutes number of .175. These numbers are pretty darn good for a freshman big man. It's still early but Pohto clearly looks like he can play at this level. If Johnson didn't try to convince him to stay, he looks like a fool right now. Treyton Thompson has played a grand total of 5 minutes so far. Of course, he is from Minnesota and that matters more than player quality to some people who post on this board.

There were still some serviceable transfer big men available when our two front court players were injured in the summer. They didn't all go to high level programs. Instead we got an undersized guy from a D2 school who looks like he's only good for breather minutes and taking some fouls away from our other two big men.
A lot of assumptions are being made here, Ben's not multiple years into his tenure like Pitino was when all of these issues came to the for front. We can debate the reasons why, and who he wated to stay who the staff took a pass on for a variety of reasons, but Ben had to piece together an entire roster. I don't think part of the plan was for both of his four's to get, he added Odele after Ihnen went down so he got what was left in the scrap pile then, but Parker should be back before the season ends. We went after Manley and Mitchell, they both wanted to try and get pro contracts and Mitchell wanted to be a stretch four not a five if he came on board. Went after Theo John, then Duke swooped in. Came down to us and Iowa for Rabraska (sp?) Disagree with you on Pohto, nice offensive touch, but he's too soft in the post, and this staff clearly values guys who will D up. Gaston's an example of four years of wasting a scholly, so if you don't want to commit to that, it's better to cut bait now. Anyways, we have a top 80 big man (Prep Hoops) in Payne coming in next year, if Thompson isn't ready next year we will most likely bring in another transfer post to play back up minutes. It is what it is this year, Ben isn't going to have to turn over the whole roster every off season and going forward he will have a track record and recruits will actually be able to see what this staff is about, good and bad. There's only 13 spots and in this era of transfers, most teams aren't going to use all 13 and I think a lot of fans are accepting a hard time accepting that. Point is if you sat down and thought about every dooms day scenario you would need about 35 guys on your roster, it's just not realistic. For this year I would say enjoy the wins when they come, coaching is clearly better than anything we've had since Dave Thorson's first stint as an Assistant, we won last night because we moved the ball better, played better team defense and made better adjustments than Pitt did. Pitt clearly had the superior athletes, but no cohesive plan on offense, we threw a Zone at them at the right times to stop scoring runs and to fluster their guards on the last possession. Capel is probably going to get fired over there, this team has warts, but at least our warts can be fixed with recruiting, unlike with the previous Staff.

Well, so far I'd say that if Pohto didn't meet Ben's eye test but Thompson did, then there is something wrong with Ben's eyes.

It seems like some of you are invested in the idea that Ben is some all knowing sage and he had a grand plan for everything. That's naive. Even the best and brightest make mistakes and muddle through.
Thompson's from here, If you get the job on the premise of being able to keep the best athletes home and one of your first moves is to run off a homegrown Freshman ranked in the composite top 175 (100th on Prep Hoops) I don't think that's going to go over well with the top high school coaches and local AAU programs. Different sport, but even Fleck played that game when he got here, he released all of Claeys out of state recruits, but kept all of the Minnesotans and then filled the rest of the class after he was hired.

It would be nice to have Pohto, but I'm not sure why anyone would have expected him to stay. He committed due to ties to one of Pitino's assistants. He had no other ties to MN or the current coaching staff at all as far as I know.

Depends, all about the right mind set, in this case we have a lot of older guys from smaller schools who have a chip on their shoulder and want to prove that they belong on a Big Ten stage. I think there's a lot of guys like that so I'm not too worried about finding three guys who can give us what Willis, Stephens, Loewe and Sutherlin are bringing here. Clearly this staff is good venting guys and finding what they want, there just wasn't a base of incoming freshman and returning players for them to join, but I think if this team still had Johnson, Robbins, Mashburn and Gabe to pair with the four guys I mentioned a long with Battle and a healthy Fox, it would be a pretty good team, so we will see how it all meshes next year with five returning players and the three Freshman

Thompson's from here, If you get the job on the premise of being able to keep the best athletes home and one of your first moves is to run off a homegrown Freshman ranked in the composite top 175 (100th on Prep Hoops) I don't think that's going to go over well with the top high school coaches and local AAU programs. Different sport, but even Fleck played that game when he got here, he released all of Claeys out of state recruits, but kept all of the Minnesotans and then filled the rest of the class after he was hired.

I said nothing about dropping Thompson. I complained about not keeping Pohto. Remember the word I used: "insurance."

Welcome back! Seems like you were gone a long time.
Thank you! I've just been so busy with so many things, and it's hard to dip only one toe in the GopherHole without it becoming an investment in time. And I mean that as a compliment to you all: this is a smart, fun and engaging crowd.

They were on their couches and not at the game. Sadly, that is mostly here to stay.

I hate that! They insist on talking about various people or things they think are interest stories instead of addressing the game. The worst I've ever seen is during NBA summer league. You have no idea most of the time who just made a shot or a good play because the announcers are always blabbing about something unconnected to the game.

I said nothing about dropping Thompson. I complained about not keeping Pohto. Remember the word I used: "insurance."
Never said you did, but you made a comparison to Pohto and Thompson with the eye test comment and I am offering you reasons why he may of kept Treyton instead, or maybe Ben just thought he was a better prospect, just like all of the recruiting sites said he was. and he may of thought he had Manley in the bag, but unfortunately with scholarship limits you can't have insurance for everything, they don't let you put 40 guys on roster. Pick your 12 or 13 and two or three walkons and you deal with it shit as it comes. If Pohto isn't what you want in a player, it's better to cut bait right away and let him find the best situation for himself. Now, maybe Ben fucked up and let a good player go, will see how Pohto progresses, will see if he toughens up down low or if he stays a guy with the body of a five but the mind set a stretch four and will see if Thompson can put on the 20-25 good pound that he will need to be effective, if he can't than Ben will recruit over him and then probably give him the choice of helping him find a spot at a lower level or accepting his role as the 12th or 13th guy on the roster in the coming years, ball is in his court.

he may of thought he had Manley in the bag, but unfortunately with scholarship limits you can't have insurance for everything, they don't let you put 40 guys on roster.

Don't ever consider anyone in the bag until he commits! Before Ogele committed but after Curry "unretired" he had two scholarship roster spots. After Ogele committed, he still had one. Three of the players on this short roster barely play so I don't want to hear anything about how Ben wants to have enough playing time to satisfy all of his players.

And if you continue to talk to me like I'm a 12 year old, then please do us both a favor and put me on ignore. I would be very pleased with that as I find you both smug and tedious.

Freeman stats playing for Pacific (4-3): 7GP, 2 starts, 13 mpg, 7.1 ppg, 3.1 Reb, 73% FG, 67% FT and 4 blocks. No doubt he would have been an asset in the 5 spot. But............
Good info. Freeman is not a starter on most, if any Big Ten teams. What he is, is a wide body who can keep someone out of the paint for a few minutes at a time- something that would have been good last night and will be on a lot of nights in the Big Ten

Top Bottom