***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PITTSBURGH BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I am more concerned about this team after this game than I was going in. Pitt is HORRIBLE. They are coming off a 10 point home loss to UMBC and they also lost to the Citadel at home....by 15!

The Gopher bigs just cannot play at this level. That was made clear tonight. Major concern that when Ben had to go away from Curry and Daniels that it was the bench player from D3 Ogele who came in to the game instead of Thompson. There was a key play late after a foul where Ogele asked to switched sides with Battle between free throws. Gophers were up 1. The free throw was missed and Ogele doesn't get the rebound. The Panthers get the board and go straight back to the line to take the lead back which they wouldn't relinquish untile Loewe's tip in late.

A new concern this game was Loewe in particular was really uncomfortable handling the ball against high major (sort of) guards. It was a good decision by Ben to put the ball in the hands of Stephens on that last possession as the lack of foot speed from the other Gopher players seemed like a bigger issue than I anticipated.

Marquette and Iowa State are both currently winning games against better competition while playing a bunch of guys with eligibility beyond this year that were not on those teams last year. We're winning games (which is great!), but against lesser competition and playing one guy who with eligibility beyond this year. Once we stop winning games...things will get real bleak.

I’ve seen much, much worse. Was spotty at times but it’s not like they were playing at Wisconsin OSU or Indiana. Maybe Pitt would have got even more if they wore red? That seems to be the key.
It was no worse than an average B1G road game. Certainly nothing like a game in Kohl Center.

I can’t help but be excited for this team and this staff. Sure, maybe this season is going to turn at some point and we are going to take some gut punches, but it really feels like we are building something. The quality of coaching is better than we anticipated and putting our guys in positions to be successful. Fun to cheer on.

The years have not been kind to JJ. He needs that workout device.
I wonder if that device works? Seems cheap. Resistance bands are probably better for the home gym.

I am more concerned about this team after this game than I was going in. Pitt is HORRIBLE. They are coming off a 10 point home loss to UMBC and they also lost to the Citadel at home....by 15!

The Gopher bigs just cannot play at this level. That was made clear tonight. Major concern that when Ben had to go away from Curry and Daniels that it was the bench player from D3 Ogele who came in to the game instead of Thompson. There was a key play late after a foul where Ogele asked to switched sides with Battle between free throws. Gophers were up 1. The free throw was missed and Ogele doesn't get the rebound. The Panthers get the board and go straight back to the line to take the lead back which they wouldn't relinquish untile Loewe's tip in late.

A new concern this game was Loewe in particular was really uncomfortable handling the ball against high major (sort of) guards. It was a good decision by Ben to put the ball in the hands of Stephens on that last possession as the lack of foot speed from the other Gopher players seemed like a bigger issue than I anticipated.

Marquette and Iowa State are both currently winning games against better competition while playing a bunch of guys with eligibility beyond this year that were not on those teams last year. We're winning games (which is great!), but against lesser competition and playing one guy who with eligibility beyond this year. Once we stop winning games...things will get real bleak.
Go pound sand. Enjoy the wins. Everyone knew this would be a down year. Yet we are 6-0.

I’m happy for the kids and Ben but your post pretty much describes the situation.

I was only able to listen to the game. Our bigs are for sure going to be a weakness for us. It looked like going into the game we knew this and Hugley was going to be a mismatch for us. I also wonder if he is really that good or if we made him look better. I don’t see Thompson as bruising center, especially since he needs time to get bigger and stronger.

I'm curious why Ben gives minutes to Loewe over Sutherlin. Sutherlin is a much more dynamic player.

They are well coached and disciplined, which helps. Having said that, if they lose by less than 20 against MSU on 12/8, it's a moral victory.

I was only able to listen to the game. Our bigs are for sure going to be a weakness for us. It looked like going into the game we knew this and Hugley was going to be a mismatch for us. I also wonder if he is really that good or if we made him look better. I don’t see Thompson as bruising center, especially since he needs time to get bigger and stronger.
Hugley is ok. He might get an overseas contract with a team in a third tier league in a third tier country.

Man are the bigs in the big ten salivating getting the chance to play us. We should be able to sneak a few games out in big ten play but some of these games will be hard to watch our bigs getting ate alive down low

I'm curious why Ben gives minutes to Loewe over Sutherlin. Sutherlin is a much more dynamic player.

They are well coached and disciplined, which helps. Having said that, if they lose by less than 20 against MSU on 12/8, it's a moral victory.
I'm convinced it's defense. Loewe drew #2, who has been averaging 13.2 a game going in. He ends up 2-8 and 6 pts.

"Once we start losing games (hopefully) I'm going to bitch on the message board some more instead of enjoying the first road win in almost two years."

"Once we start losing games (hopefully) I'm going to bitch on the message board some more instead of enjoying the first road win in almost two years."
Yeah, this might be worse than when people complained about us "only" beating UMKC by 15.

Hey Gopher fans, we f****** won.

I thought the same thing but Sutherlin's defense also looked good when he was in there.
Yeah. I really like Sutherlin. Trust? Maybe Ben trusts Loewe more? Got me. Oh well, a win is a win. If they would have held them under 50 points, think you'd have to go back a long ways to see three straight games with the opponent held under 50.

Once again it was fun to watch these never give up team. Sure their bigs controlled the game for long time but Ben made some good adjustments and we came back and got the win on the road. This team has been a blast to watch because of the coaching. I don't care if we win or not, I like that they play above the level of their talent because they play defense and play team offense. Such an improvement over last year which I quit watching in January.

Yeah....his last shot..won the game:)

I'm very happy that he was able to tip that ball in. Doesn't change the fact that he was 0-4 in 28 minutes prior to that. Need more scoring than that.

I’ve been surprised how little offensive production there’s been from Loewe so far. But he does a lot of other things well. Hopefully as he gets more comfortable with everyone he does more on offense. Ugly wins are still better than any loss.

Sutherlin isn’t a primary ball handler. On a team with no pure PG, that’s why Loewe gets a lot of time—and we’ll deserved in my opinion.

A win is a win is a win. Played a bad P5 team, needed to win the game, got the win. On to the next.

Reminder to self, don't invite EGNumberNine to any parties... We won baby, and we're undefeated! Enjoy the roll while you can :cool03: :)

View attachment 15682
Some people aren’t happy unless they find something to be unhappy about.

It’s no secret this team has limitations; it was obvious before the season started. But I guess we’re supposed to be impressed when a poster points out the already-known. As for me, I enjoy how this team competes and does what it can with what it has.

Top Bottom