***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PENN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

So what the hell did Martice Mitchell do to never see the floor in a team that is short handed especially after half time?
One of the great mysteries.

RP should have been playing him. Freeman has proven enough to me that he should have gotten more minutes last year and this year. Tough, moves well, FT's good.

Speaking in hindsight after a brief run(when PSU basically checked out) is equally lazy.
What? They looked like they were trying to make a comeback and not just roll over and die, which is what I hope you would do. They got pounded, but that doesn't mean they weren't trying.

One of the great mysteries.

RP should have been playing him. Freeman has proven enough to me that he should have gotten more minutes last year and this year. Tough, moves well, FT's good.

pretty sure RP is redshirting him to help with the roster

Can't wait for the press conference and the weekly show next Tuesday. I'll be tweeting a piece of my mind to the hosts.

This didn't age well
Ok, so 5-18, 28%. Whatever. The point was at the time you fucks were already bitching about 3 point shooting and they were only at 33%.
Ihnen and Gach were 3-6 combined, which are two guys you people bitch about the most, just saying.

I hope all you self important donks who belittled those of us calling for Pitino's head 2 years ago are happy.

This is exactly what you advocated so arrogantly for.

Ok, so 5-18, 28%. Whatever. The point was at the time you fucks were already bitching about 3 point shooting and they were only at 33%.
Ihnen and Gach were 3-6 combined, which are two guys you people bitch about the most, just saying.
No matter how much you kiss Pitino's ass, he is not giving you a piece of his buyout.

There's a glimmer of admirable courage in stubbornly going down with the ship.

Mixed in with the overwhelming idiocy.

I hope all you self important donks who belittled those of us calling for Pitino's head 2 years ago are happy.

This is exactly what you advocated so arrogantly for.
Right, because 2 years ago they had just made the NCAA tournament for the 2nd time in 3 years, were about to have 2 players leave early for the NBA, and the future looked bright. So, yeah I guess you can call us crazy or whatever for not thinking that firing the coach at that time made sense.
And yeah, let's just ignore the part where this team was solidly in the tournament before Kalschuer and Robbins both got hit with injuries. But I guess it's Pitino's fault for breaking Kalscheurs finger, and twisting Robbins ankle

Right, because 2 years ago they had just made the NCAA tournament for the 2nd time in 3 years, were about to have 2 players leave early for the NBA, and the future looked bright. So, yeah I guess you can call us crazy or whatever for not thinking that firing the coach at that time made sense.
And yeah, let's just ignore the part where this team was solidly in the tournament before Kalschuer and Robbins both got hit with injuries. But I guess it's Pitino's fault for breaking Kalscheurs finger, and twisting Robbins ankle
LOL

First rule of holes: when you find yourself in one, stop digging.

Who was right, me or you?

LOL

First rule of holes: when you find yourself in one, stop digging.

Who was right, me or you?
You want a biscuit? Congrats on celebrating your team not winning? Kind of weird tbh.

You want a biscuit? Congrats on celebrating your team not winning? Kind of weird tbh.
Congrats on ADVOCATING for not winning. You got exactly what you fought so hard for.

Kind of weird.

Even with this "bad luck" we had 10 games missed by starters this year (assuming Liam doesn't play Saturday.) 10 total. I bet that's in the lower half of the B1G.

This is why sometimes it is OK to fire before the end of a season. This is embarrassing for everyone on the bench. If it were an interim coach, people would have sympathy. This is just pathetic.
I think the effort the last few games show that the players don’t really have Pitino’s back. In some lame duck situations you see pride on full display and wanting to show the AD that he is wrong. Not the case here

What? They looked like they were trying to make a comeback and not just roll over and die, which is what I hope you would do. They got pounded, but that doesn't mean they weren't trying.

What myself and many others are saying tho, is they gave the appearance of "trying" for like 4 minutes.

Rest of the game they looked dead. No energy. No effort. Out hustled. Announcers literally mocked Currys body language at the line. Then the cameras matched him in a state of "i want to go home" for 15 seconds on the bench.

Teams giving full effort dont get absolutely steam rolled on the boards by a crappy team with equally little post play

It was bad. Not a lazy take.

We did it! Somewhere Tim Brewster is proud that we won the 2nd half and scored last!

Lets not get too carried away............technically we lost the second half, by 1. LOL.

That time of year again where I start focusing on my bracket instead of Gopher hoops. Silver lining is it takes all my bias away when I fill mine out.
This. No need for the Gophers to get in the way of a perfectly good March Madness. I always consider it a nice bonus if they're still playing or even in the NCAA mix.

Aaaaaaaand the TWolves get their asses handed to them again. Twins lose (I know just spring training) Cmon Wild. Please help salvage some good from this night.

Interesting contrast.

The Wild made Zach Parise a healthy scratch for the first time in his career, because he wouldn't come off the ice for a line change the other night, and it helped lead to a game-tying goal for the other team.
Message to team - even highly-paid star players face consequences for not doing things the right way.

On the other hand, with the Gophers - Pitino says he tells them not to settle for jacking up 3's - and yet they shoot 3's all game. Pitino says he tells them to pass the ball - and yet we see these awful stretches of stagnant offense and guys going 1-on-whoever.

The players are not doing what the coach claims he's telling them to do - and yet there are no consequences.

To me, that is Pitino's biggest failing - the absolute lack of consequences when players don't do what the coach tells them to do.

Not many thoughts on this one. I felt a little bad for Eric Curry getting singled out by Bardo for his effort. On one of the plays right before Bardo started talking about Curry I saw him very visibly gassed trying to get up the court. I am not saying his effort was great, but he's just not a high major athlete after all the injuries he's been through. Way before Bardo said anything about his effort, Curry's inability to rebound was killing the Gophers in the first 5-7 minutes of the game. Obviously effort was an issue in this game, I just wish a healthier player or the entire team would have been the focus.

On Mitchell, I think the most likely scenario is he's already made his intentions known to transfer and therefore doesn't want to get hurt playing in a game. I believe this happened with Gilbert eariler in Pitino's tenure. It's also possible he's injured. Regardless of the reason, I don't think anyone who could not earn a significant role on this team should be looked at as realistically being a difference maker at the high major level.

I know I'm losing that battle right now.

Between the COVID shutdown world and the miserable Northwestern game, I ramped up the drinking into the sunrise hour, with a lot of retro Youtube music viewing and bad posts.

With all the Belgian (Tripples) heavy beer binge drinking I had a predictable day off work (from home) Friday. Even sadder, I doubt anyone even noticed! The whole sequence was so depressing I had not had a beer again until tonight. This time I am hanging it up by midnight or 1AM!

It can only get better now, with some hope for the future. Pitino did enough (Des Moines NCAA) to make me happy at times but he is clearly not the guy. Then again we could be watching UW Badger ball, and that would be worse than this!

Last edited:

So what the hell did Martice Mitchell do to never see the floor in a team that is short handed especially after half time?

Exactly, that what I was yelling at the TV all game. They kid was relatively high star recruit, and there is nothing left to lose, so why not put him out there and see what happens. He showed me a smooth mid range shot the few seconds I saw him play early in the year.

Richard puts out there two guys playing on one leg tonight (ankles), and one with the knee of a 60 year old., yet refuses to give MM a shot. This is from a coach that force fed us a slow timid MIAC level player from Rochester for several years.

I would not give Gach more than 2 minutes a game at this point , even if he were healthy either.

Top Bottom