***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT OSU IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

They were 10-1 at home and we were 0-6 on the road (I think don't quote me). Yes I will take that!

How cruel is it that Carr wasn't available last year? We would have been so good....
#levelplayingfield

#excusesareforlosers

I didn't get a chance to see the second half but to come back from a 9 point deficit and win on the road is huge, they are right on the bubble now. It sure doesn't get any easier the next two weeks, win 2 of 4.

I didn't get a chance to see the second half but to come back from a 9 point deficit and win on the road is huge, they are right on the bubble now. It sure doesn't get any easier the next two weeks, win 2 of 4.
Yes. 2 of the next 4 is the ticket. Following that they have one of their best stretch of 3 games where they would have a reasonable chance of winning all 3.

Haven’t seen it mentioned here. But after Carr’s three, the ball rolled to about half court. OSU had no time out and was not in a hurry to gather it. Carr rushed up to it and hucked it at the OSU inbounder. That guy wasn’t looking for the ball and so it just hit him and bounced off. Carr was making a clean basketball play by getting the ball into OSU hands, but I couldn’t help but laugh at the optics of Carr draining the three then firmly throwing the ball at an opposing player from half court ???.

Is there any team over the past 10 years that has more trouble getting the ball inbounds in critical situations than the Gophers? That's probably a good reason Pitino didn't call a timeout -- fearful that we wouldn't even get the ball in.

I'm not sure how any high school PG in this country could pass up on Pitino and the Gophers at this point. Yeah, he whiffed on Isaiah Washington, leaving us with no real PG last season. But what Pitino has done with Nate Mason and Marcus Carr has been truly impressive, turning both those guys into All-Big10 caliber players. As long as Pitino is our head coach, we should be set at the point guard position. If we can establish a lineage of good big men after Murphy and Oturu, we will be a top college basketball program in the country

I'm not sure how any high school PG in this country could pass up on Pitino and the Gophers at this point. Yeah, he whiffed on Isaiah Washington, leaving us with no real PG last season. But what Pitino has done with Nate Mason and Marcus Carr has been truly impressive, turning both those guys into All-Big10 caliber players. As long as Pitino is our head coach, we should be set at the point guard position. If we can establish a lineage of good big men after Murphy and Oturu, we will be a top college basketball program in the country
That is why Jamal Mashburn Jr. said he is coming here. One of the reasons. Pointed to Nate Mason.

Carr's overdribbling and ball dominance still drives me crazy, but he's delivering results. He has cut down on his mistakes. The team is very reliant on him. He sat for a couple of minutes when he picked his fourth foul with 4-5 minutes left and the offense immediately went out of sync. The team will live and die with him this year.

Glad to see that Ihnen got a few minutes last night--out of necessity. He's very raw and doesn't know where he's supposed to be on the floor, but you can see that he has talent.

It's unfortunate that Hurt stays on the bench as a senior, but that's where he needs to be. The game is played at a speed beyond his capability.

Great win last night. The refs mostly let them play in the second half which meant that there weren't any "are you kidding me" home cooking calls that I can recall. This team plays better defense than any of the previous Pitino teams, without much depth.

21 points, 7 assists, 1 turnover in 36 minutes. He's torched Ohio State, a good and physical defensive team, for 56 points in 2 games. Jim Jackson and Tim Brando said it on FS1 last night and I agree, Carr deserves to be mentioned among the top guards in the Big 10.

Is there any team over the past 10 years that has more trouble getting the ball inbounds in critical situations than the Gophers? That's probably a good reason Pitino didn't call a timeout -- fearful that we wouldn't even get the ball in.
Seems OSU had issues getting the ball in after the basket.

When you have a top flight point guard, who controls the offensive flow so well like Carr, there is no reason to call a TO and give the defensive team time to talk strategy.

Haven’t seen it mentioned here. But after Carr’s three, the ball rolled to about half court. OSU had no time out and was not in a hurry to gather it. Carr rushed up to it and hucked it at the OSU inbounder. That guy wasn’t looking for the ball and so it just hit him and bounced off. Carr was making a clean basketball play by getting the ball into OSU hands, but I couldn’t help but laugh at the optics of Carr draining the three then firmly throwing the ball at an opposing player from half court ???.
I saw that too, and immediately my thought was, oh god, they're going to call a tech and give them free throws!

Really? The layup that tied the game was a very nicely executed play from an inbound, they did have some trouble after going up 3 at the very end, but really they were just trying not to turn it over and wanted to make sure it was perfect. Tubby's teams far worse...

Seriously, this team (I hope) is learning how to win. The experiences earlier in the season--especially the Purdue game: you can get discouraged or you can learn from them. I see this team growing.

I thought Willis did a nice job running things after Carr went out with his fourth. The team at least treaded water. I hope Richard can trust him or Greenlee to give Marcus more breaks from now on.

I get that playing 40 minutes is taxing mentally and physically. However, and I think this point is missed, that Carr is getting breaks at 8 timeouts (between the two teams) and I believe there is 6 media timeouts, plus halftime. Would be nice if he could play around 35 and we don't lose much so he is fresher at the end but I think this is sustainable.

I get that playing 40 minutes is taxing mentally and physically. However, and I think this point is missed, that Carr is getting breaks at 8 timeouts (between the two teams) and I believe there is 6 media timeouts, plus halftime. Would be nice if he could play around 35 and we don't lose much so he is fresher at the end but I think this is sustainable.
Yeah unless i am wrong on this, he gets a media timeout under 16, 12, 8, and 4 of each half. Then he gets rest on all team timeouts plus half. Its alot of time to play, but still doable!

Yeah unless i am wrong on this, he gets a media timeout under 16, 12, 8, and 4 of each half. Then he gets rest on all team timeouts plus half. Its alot of time to play, but still doable!

You're correct! I didn't realize there was 4...there are some exceptions but lets say they get 14 timeouts per game...plus halftime. He'll be fine.

I thought he was throwing it to the ref to get it going. Pretty common for teams trying to hurry it up to get the ball in the refs hands after a made basket to prevent stalling to get it in. I didn't notice it was close to an OSU player. I'm not even sure how the ball got that far out after the made basket. That's really unusual.

I thought he was throwing it to the ref to get it going. Pretty common for teams trying to hurry it up to get the ball in the refs hands after a made basket to prevent stalling to get it in. I didn't notice it was close to an OSU player. I'm not even sure how the ball got that far out after the made basket. That's really unusual.

Yeah, with tOHSU not having TO's, he didn't want to give them any cheap time to strategize waiting for the ball which was rolling towards midcourt.

Crazy to think we should probably be 6-3 in conference if we didn't blow it against Purdue

I wouldn't look at it that way. You can say we should have beat Purdue, but you can also argue we "should" have lost last night. OSU fans are definitely feeling like they let one slip away.

It's the ebbs and flows of a college basketball season. Just glad we evened that Purdue loss back up.

Love how Carr was determined to get that rebound, then looks back at the clock and right there it is a done deal! Great stuff

Carr's overdribbling and ball dominance still drives me crazy, but he's delivering results. He has cut down on his mistakes. The team is very reliant on him. He sat for a couple of minutes when he picked his fourth foul with 4-5 minutes left and the offense immediately went out of sync. The team will live and die with him this year.

Glad to see that Ihnen got a few minutes last night--out of necessity. He's very raw and doesn't know where he's supposed to be on the floor, but you can see that he has talent.

It's unfortunate that Hurt stays on the bench as a senior, but that's where he needs to be. The game is played at a speed beyond his capability.

Great win last night. The refs mostly let them play in the second half which meant that there weren't any "are you kidding me" home cooking calls that I can recall. This team plays better defense than any of the previous Pitino teams, without much depth.
You're mistaking over-dribbling with facilitation. The offense runs through Carr as it should - he's an extremely composed ball handler who doesn't turn the ball over. You know who else plays like Carr? Cassius Winston. I don't see any MSU fans upset with Winston... also Carr has had 6 TOs in the last 5 GAMES. That is insane - I have never seen a player average 36+ minutes a game and turn it over only 1.2 times a game.

Stop ripping on one of our best players and focus on the real problems at hand. If Willis and Kalscheur don't start giving us consistently better shooting each night we won't make the tournament. Any off night from Carr and/or Oturu very likely will be a loss unless one of Willis or Kalscheur pick it up.

You can add Deandre Mathieu to that list of point guards who he coached up far beyond expectations.

Last edited:

Top Bottom