***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

You said "transferred up." I would characterize a transfer from another P6 conference as a lateral transfer.

If someone else maintained that all other power conferences are beneath the Big Ten, that's just plain silly based on historical evidence.
I agree. 100%

on the "recruited to the B1G" issue -

you are leaving out a word -

originally recruited to play in the B1G.

it's like saying Kirk Cousins was "signed by the Vikings." Well, he was originally signed by Washington. then he moved to MN.

Fox was originally recruited to play at a DII school. then he was re-recruited to play at D1.

So, at one point of his career, he was not seen as a D1 caliber player. Now that he has been re-assessed, he is now seen as a D1 caliber player.

In other words, the Gophers had a number of players this year who were originally not recruited to play in the B1G. Obviously, they ended their careers playing in the B1G. But, just as obviously, that is not where they started.

There are no both ways, Greta. The Gophers will improve as the roster fills out with guys actually recruited to play Big Ten basketball. We will continue to augment our Big Ten recruits with transfers for a couple more years.
Do you have any idea how many years we've heard this? Patience maybe a virtue but this is getting ridiculous.

on the "recruited to the B1G" issue -

you are leaving out a word -

originally recruited to play in the B1G.

it's like saying Kirk Cousins was "signed by the Vikings." Well, he was originally signed by Washington. then he moved to MN.

Fox was originally recruited to play at a DII school. then he was re-recruited to play at D1.

So, at one point of his career, he was not seen as a D1 caliber player. Now that he has been re-assessed, he is now seen as a D1 caliber player.

In other words, the Gophers had a number of players this year who were originally not recruited to play in the B1G. Obviously, they ended their careers playing in the B1G. But, just as obviously, that is not where they started.
We had a number of players who were not originally recruited to the Big Ten and would not be today if they were high school seniors playing as well as they now play. They played one year at Minnesota due to very unusual circumstance we are not likely to see again.

The record will improve as the roster fills out with Big Ten caliber recruits.

So if one has a realistic attitude about the team they should follow another team...if your happy with years of less than mediocre performances then perhaps your part of the problem.
None of us is part of the problem nor the solution. We are fans and observers. The realistic attitude is to recognize this team was in an impossible situation. A realistic expectation might have been 8-10 wins.

We exceeded all reasonable expectations and played hard, competitive basketball in most games even though drastically outmanned by more talented teams. I'll take that as a good sign going forward.

None of us is part of the problem nor the solution. We are fans and observers. The realistic attitude is to recognize this team was in an impossible situation. A realistic expectation might have been 8-10 wins.

We exceeded all reasonable expectations and played hard, competitive basketball in most games even though drastically outmanned by more talented teams. I'll take that as a good sign going forward.
And in 10 years we will have this same discussion. Wisconsin continues to win and Gophers fight to break 500 B1G record.

So if one has a realistic attitude about the team they should follow another team...if your happy with years of less than mediocre performances then perhaps your part of the problem.
NO ONE shall deal in reality when it comes to gopher bb.

We had a number of players who were not originally recruited to the Big Ten and would not be today if they were high school seniors playing as well as they now play. They played one year at Minnesota due to very unusual circumstance we are not likely to see again.

The record will improve as the roster fills out with Big Ten caliber recruits.

Yes, a number of players on this year's team would not have been recruited here under different circumstances and at least a couple of them shouldn't have been recruited even under these circumstances. On the other hand, we've had more than a few players since I've been a Gopher fan (which admittedly is not as long as some of you) who were not as good as EJ Stephens is now and most Gopher players during that time were not as good as Jamison Battle is now. The second best center during my Gopher fan time (Reggie Lynch) also wasn't recruited as a Big Ten player coming out of high school.

The term "Big Ten recruits" doesn't just include Jordan Murphy, Amir Coffey, and Daniel Oturu. It also includes Michael Hurt, Bakary Konate, Gaston, Martice Mitchell, Kevin Dorsey, and Charles Buggs. McBrayer really wasn't all that great. Tre' Williams was a pretty marginal player here and dropped out of the rotation for a 3-27 Oregon State team about 60% of the way through the season (obviously, Oregon State should have recruited a productive mid-major player instead of him). Whenever you recruit freshmen (even Big Ten freshmen), you're going to have some duds or at least marginal players for the level of the conference. I'm all for getting a couple of mature transfer players with proven productivity, even from the mid-major conferences, in lieu of marginal freshmen recruits or to replace former prep recruits who didn't pan out and transferred somewhere else.

Team grade F
Coach grade F.
Thanks little Richey’s mom for your enlightening drivel. I normally don’t respond to you much but your stick is tired.

Your opinion, I suppose, but honestly it’s not much of one. For me the season was a success, not an A by any stretch but satisfactory given the circumstances .

Thanks little Richey’s mom for your enlightening drivel. I normally don’t respond to you much but your stick is tired.

Your opinion, I suppose, but honestly it’s not much of one. For me the season was a success, not an A by any stretch but satisfactory given the circumstances .
Don't feed the troll.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Outstanding rationalization!!!!

Last edited:

Finishing in last place is not exceeding expectations. Johnson said we would not finish in last place, those were the expectations, and they were not exceeded.

None of us is part of the problem nor the solution. We are fans and observers.

That reminder can't be stated too often. I really get sick of reading the idiotic "fans like you are part of the problem" line.

That reminder can't be stated too often. I really get sick of reading the idiotic "fans like you are part of the problem" line.
Yeah, but... Not to go on a wild tangent here, but I do think fans can be part of the solution. First, come to the games and cheer. Second, I think our fans have become way too used to losing and way too patient with administrative ineptitude. Thank goodness some of the big hitters put pressure on Coyle to move on from Pitino, but the general fan base has the ability to be vocal, too...and we've been generally meek and silent.

Yeah, but... Not to go on a wild tangent here, but I do think fans can be part of the solution. First, come to the games and cheer. Second, I think our fans have become way too used to losing and way too patient with administrative ineptitude. Thank goodness some of the big hitters put pressure on Coyle to move on from Pitino, but the general fan base has the ability to be vocal, too...and we've been generally meek and silent.

In general I agree with you but, in the relatively short time I've been following the two teams of interest, we had two surprising firings: one was Claeys after a 9-4 football season and the other was Tubby very soon after the close of the 2013 season. The former I attribute somewhat to a flex of muscle by the top administration and a VERY CHEAP buyout. The latter I'm still not sure of all the reasons. Tubby was less than the fans undoubtedly expected given his stature at the time of hire but he was at least average in the league for overall results. Average in basketball would look great right now.

Top Bottom