***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NEBRASKA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

They were doubling the post like crazy and we weren't moving very well without the ball. They also just played pretty good defense and we missed some shots.

JOJ should watch tape of Allick play and try to copy it.
Much like 2nd half against Ohio State they were quick to get back out to defend the 3. Makes our half court offense painful to watch.

Gotta ask; you think that womens basketball really becoming a thing in the mid-to-late 70's, literally 45-50 years ago, is a main factor in the shortage of good officials now? Are we sure that, this far down the line, there might not probably be a lot of other factors that might now be the reason?

I have a feeling that it might be more about younger folks thinking about getting into the profession are seeing, hearing and maybe have experienced all the abuse that comes with the job, both working your way up and when you finally reach the level you're striving for, and decided they don't need to put up with the B.S. from fans and coaches. Seems like it's become a far bigger problem over the past dozen years. When you have fans and parents coming after you on the floor or in the parking lot, you tend to consider the alternatives.
100% but the philosophy of why as coaches you take guys out with two fouls started because officiating got dramatically worse with the addition of girls basketball. Boys high school basketball in the 70's had awesome high school officials. Guys often did college and high school....you could request guys to do your games at the beginning of the year you knew were good.

Present day that's hard to do because literally finding/identifying good officials is tough. And the administration changed...good guys got pickier on how far across town they'd go to do a game etc.

Refereeing is absolutely a tough job! All the things you say are true about the shortage of good officials. There also was a period it didn't pay well...so good guys quit to do other things. It's a lot of things but refs are why you take guys out with two fouls.

I watched a decent amount of the game. Looked like Nebraska did a really good job of defending us and got away with ALOT that let them be super physical on defense.

Would have loved to have this game but the most important one has always been the next one. They HAVE to beat Illinois or their tourney hopes will squarely rest on winning the BT tourney.

We stay out of foul trouble and Carrington (again) shuts down Tomaninga, we match up pretty well against the Huskers. Then Garcia and Hawkins give us the winning edge to overcome Nebraska home court advantage.
Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong on this (other than Tominanga not being a factor). We did not match up well, Gary was the dominant post player, and Garcia and Hawkins did not show mature leadership at the end.

illinois will be even tougher with Coleman Hawkins and Shannon, 2 of the best in the B1G. I will go out on a limb and predict our boys will recover, shoot better, and play hard, but doubtful they pull off the upset.

Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong on this (other than Tominanga not being a factor). We did not match up well, Gary was the dominate post player, and Garcia and Hawkins did not show maturity at the end.

illinois will be even tougher with Coleman Hawkins and Shannon, 2 of the best in the B1G.
I truly have no idea how we are gonna guard Shannon and Domask on the perimeter. And even Rodgers/Harmon as 3rd guard options.

Gonna have to score with em.

I watched a decent amount of the game. Looked like Nebraska did a really good job of defending us and got away with ALOT that let them be super physical on defense.

Would have loved to have this game but the most important one has always been the next one. They HAVE to beat Illinois or their tourney hopes will squarely rest on winning the BT tourney.
I think our NCAA tournament hopes have hinged on winning the Big Ten tournament for a while.

Much like 2nd half against Ohio State they were quick to get back out to defend the 3. Makes our half court offense painful to watch.
Yeah, teams have a tendency to get into a rhythm where they feed the post and wait for the kickout (stop moving) and that just can get really stale stylistically and in terms of production. It gives you only 1 way to be successful on offense by knocking down outside shots. I think it's also why Fox had success, he was moving on offense.

Too much standing around.

Yeah, teams have a tendency to get into a rhythm where they feed the post and wait for the kickout (stop moving) and that just can get really stale stylistically and in terms of production. It gives you only 1 way to be successful on offense by knocking down outside shots. I think it's also why Fox had success, he was moving on offense.

Too much standing around.
Like the vast majority of college teams, winning for us ties to making threes at 37-45% clip. Cold outside shooting allows the defense to continue to collapse on the inside.

Top Bottom