***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Ben Johnson made some key half time adjustments in this one… the biggest one might have been the decision to not switch anymore when McDaniels got a screen (which we did all 1st half).

Man it feels good to get a Big Ten road win.

Petition to please start Payne from now on. Imagine the teams in his ear in the portal.
I like him off the bench for now....worry if he starts he could possibly pick up two early fouls. Plenty of playing time to go around for all. He can light up some of the backups when he first comes off the bench. This group hopefully have a strong year this year and all back next year!

This is the first game in the Ben Johnson Era where they looked comfortable as winners. They look well-coached, talented, balanced, resilient, and like they were having fun.

I know that Michigan is not the greatest team right now but any win on the road during the season is worth celebrating. Enjoy it guys - it has been a long couple of years.
The team or us? But, damn, this feels good.

Bring on Maryland. 3-1 start in the Big would be nice!

i get the sense that Johnson is still trying to manage Payne's minutes. No idea what the status is with that foot injury, but for a big man, you have to be careful with those situations.

and also - cannot have Payne on the court late in a close game because he's a liability at the FT line. so when he's off the court, that takes away one of the Gophers' better defenders and rebounders.

It's unanimous. You are the worst Gopher basketball "fan" poster. And with this bunch of pure losers that is a monumental achievement.
Hey, we resemble that loser remark!

Drink up!! Oh Yeah!!
Gladly. I am more than happy to drink that kool-aid. 2 wins in the last three years at Michigan??!! When is the last time that has happened. Hawkins has got to be one of the best passing PGs in a while here too. Stressful but this team is a lot more fun to watch than it has been in years, even before CBJ.

Should not have been close, better FG%, 3 pt%, -1 total rebounds, 8 more assists, 2 more steals, 1 more block.
MN from the free throw line: 5-9
MI from the free throw line: 17-22

Several weeks ago I reluctantly said it was time for CBJ to go. Two years ago he won at Michigan and last year he won at tOSU. Those wins were flukes. This team looks better than either of those teams and better than it did when I made my "grand pronouncement" about his future. Last night's game was super fun and, more importantly, it did not look like a fluke. It looks like he's got something going. As to how far this something goes, who knows? Unlike last year, this team has become fun to watch, fun to root for and fun to hope for.

I'll be very happy to swallow my words about CBJ's imminent demise as the HC of the gophers. I hope this team keeps it going.

5.99 a month
Nope.

On principle.

Would be a different story if I did not subscribe to any Live TV service. Which is entirely the point. Live TV subscribers should never have to pay twice to get the exact same content. People who don't, fine, this is a valid option for them.

No double paying!!!!

Now they're back on real TV.

Let's see how they do with a real TV audience! Looking forward to it

Gladly. I am more than happy to drink that kool-aid. 2 wins in the last three years at Michigan??!! When is the last time that has happened. Hawkins has got to be one of the best passing PGs in a while here too. Stressful but this team is a lot more fun to watch than it has been in years, even before CBJ.
I thought the same thing about who was the last coach to win twice at Michigan in his career. I started to dig into the answer and soon realized i didn't want to spend that much time. Certainly must go back a few coaches.

i get the sense that Johnson is still trying to manage Payne's minutes. No idea what the status is with that foot injury, but for a big man, you have to be careful with those situations.

and also - cannot have Payne on the court late in a close game because he's a liability at the FT line. so when he's off the court, that takes away one of the Gophers' better defenders and rebounders.
Payne's stat line last night was gold. No turnovers, 4 blocks, 2 assists, a steal, 8 boards and 12 points on 6-9 shooting in 25 minutes. If he can just start making those FTs....

Payne reminds me of a young Jim Brewer. (I know I'm revealing my age there.)
Interesting comparison. Brewer had trouble with the free throws and outside shooting as well but was unreal on the boards, on defense and blocking shots. Brewer was money inside of 8 feet.

Top Bottom