***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT IOWA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

We need to change recruiting priorities. Shooting ability needs to be #1. No more scouting reports like this (fill in the blank with any number of current Gopher players):
“Good athlete and hard worker. Once he develops an outside shot, he has a chance to be a nice player.” Ridiculous.

Another Gopher "Get your ass kicked by your border rivals weekend" (Hockey team got swept by Wiscy)

Well, but that's just it: it wasn't for long.
Which is why Pitino should sit Carr more and see if it continues over a longer period of time.

Even if it doesn't, hopefully Pitino making it clear that Carr isn't guaranteed minutes would make him a better team player and get rid of some of the bad shots.

oops, my bad. I turned on the TV and caught the end of the "game" (didn't realize they were replaying yesterdays game). :oops:

Hope my bitching was incorrect!

Carr should come back next year for the new coach; he's not an NBA talent.

Where can I bet on college hockey? I'm told WI has swept the Gophers even tho it's 1-0 MN 5 minutes into first period.

Yet another pathetic performance from Richard Pitino. I honestly cannot believe there is a single person that thinks things will change under him. You can now add "struggles with the zone" to the litany of issues this team has shown this year (or shown through his tenure). You have the more athletic team, you constantly talk about "making them foul you" as part of your core offensive strategy. What do you do? Nearly half of your FG attempts are from 3! Iowa's offense is Garza surrounded by limited athletes that can shoot it. What was the gameplan today? Garza went off and Iowa shot over 60% (!) from 3. What exactly did you take away? The two road games prior, you came out with terrible starts to the 2nd half to basically end the competitive portion of the competition. How did that exact same thing happen a 3rd game in a row? An absolute brutal stat I saw after the game: Richard Pitino has NEVER won at Iowa. Not Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, or even Indiana...but Iowa? 8 years in? WTF...

This is an extremely veteran Gopher team. At Center Robbins is 4 years removed from high school, at PF Johnson is at least 5 years removed from high school, at SF Gach is 4 years removed from high school, at SG Kalscheur is 3 years removed from high school and is starting for the 3rd year, at PG Carr is at least 4 years removed from high school (don't know if his prep year was a 5th year or not). Pitino whined about being "young" last year. This year he's as "old" as he's ever going to get. I am sure Richard will find a way to turn that in to an excuse too..he's always got one.

What ever Pitino said at half time, I sure hope he throws hose notes away. What does Gabe have on Pitino? Otherwise he shouldn’t see the scorebook. If I were Tre Williams I would be on the transfer portal tomorrow.

Iowa's offense is Garza surrounded by limited athletes that can shoot it.

They're also one of the best offensive teams in the country. I usually enjoy your posts, but it was super predictable that you'd go on an unhinged rant after we lost to Iowa.

This was easily our best performance on the road this season (OK, damning with very faint praise, but still true). We could've, and I expected us to, roll over after Iowa had us down 18 early in the 2nd half. I was actually somewhat encouraged that we took a punch on the road for the first time all season and rallied to cut it to 5 with a few minutes left.

They're also one of the best offensive teams in the country. I usually enjoy your posts, but it was super predictable that you'd go on an unhinged rant after we lost to Iowa.

This was easily our best performance on the road this season (OK, damning with very faint praise, but still true). We could've, and I expected us to, roll over after Iowa had us down 18 early in the 2nd half. I was actually somewhat encouraged that we took a punch on the road for the first time all season and rallied to cut it to 5 with a few minutes left.
Agreed.

The main difference is Iowa shoots at a good clip. MN is abysmal.

Nothing unhinged about it. Non competitive against Iowa. This will be the 4th straight year Richard Pitino has finished below Iowa in the standings. Why is the hope (not the expecation) to not "roll over" in a basketball game?

People can complain about the offense and so many do but hardly anyone complains about giving up 86. You can win a ton of games scoring 71 if you take good shots and play great defense.
Fans do complain about the offense. Today it looked better, imo.

When you shoot % as low as MN does, it will not translate to a lot of wins.

Fans do complain about the offense. Today it looked better, imo.

When you shoot % as low as MN does, it will not translate to a lot of wins.
Great programs win a ton of games when they shoot poorly by locking other teams down. A coach can not control making shots as easy as he can build a great defense.

Great programs win a ton of games when they shoot poorly by locking other teams down. A coach can not control making shots as easy as he can build a great defense.
I agree the defense is a large portion of a winning program, perhaps the largest. MN will not win a lot of games shooting so poorly year after year.

Didn't get to watch and am kind of catching up on this thread but it sounds like Iowa played zone...seriously with how bad our shooting is I'm surprised it took a team this long to do it...more coaches than pitino need to be evaluated being so stupid to not zone us and make us shoot 3s

Edit: i see we shot 29.4% from 3...terrible but better than i thought I'd see following a 15 point loss

Oh man, if Gach could get going
Yet another pathetic performance from Richard Pitino. I honestly cannot believe there is a single person that thinks things will change under him. You can now add "struggles with the zone" to the litany of issues this team has shown this year (or shown through his tenure). You have the more athletic team, you constantly talk about "making them foul you" as part of your core offensive strategy. What do you do? Nearly half of your FG attempts are from 3! Iowa's offense is Garza surrounded by limited athletes that can shoot it. What was the gameplan today? Garza went off and Iowa shot over 60% (!) from 3. What exactly did you take away? The two road games prior, you came out with terrible starts to the 2nd half to basically end the competitive portion of the competition. How did that exact same thing happen a 3rd game in a row? An absolute brutal stat I saw after the game: Richard Pitino has NEVER won at Iowa. Not Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, or even Indiana...but Iowa? 8 years in? WTF...

This is an extremely veteran Gopher team. At Center Robbins is 4 years removed from high school, at PF Johnson is at least 5 years removed from high school, at SF Gach is 4 years removed from high school, at SG Kalscheur is 3 years removed from high school and is starting for the 3rd year, at PG Carr is at least 4 years removed from high school (don't know if his prep year was a 5th year or not). Pitino whined about being "young" last year. This year he's as "old" as he's ever going to get. I am sure Richard will find a way to turn that in to an excuse too..he's always got one.

Jeez. Get a grip dude. We lost to the #5 team in the country after beating them on our court. Hardly think it was "pathetic".

How many other teams have beaten Iowa? 1?

Can't wait for you to have to say something nice when we beat Michigan at Williams next weekend

Didn't get to watch and am kind of catching up on this thread but it sounds like Iowa played zone...seriously with how bad our shooting is I'm surprised it took a team this long to do it...more coaches than pitino need to be evaluated being so stupid to not zone us and make us shoot 3s

Edit: i see we shot 29.4% from 3...terrible but better than i thought I'd see following a 15 point loss
I haven't seen the shot chart but we had plenty of good looks from the FT area. Johnson nailed 2 or 3 from there and others had good looks. The zone was nothing special. If we could have shot 38-40% we probably would have won.

If I was playing the Gophers, I would press them and mix up between a couple of different zone looks and man.

Garza owned the lane the second half. The only reason we got back within 5 was that McCoughery had him on the perimeter. After a TO, Garza was back in the paint where he belonged. Game over as no one could cover him. RP was too stubborn to try a zone to see if that could have contained him.

People can complain about the offense and so many do but hardly anyone complains about giving up 86. You can win a ton of games scoring 71 if you take good shots and play great defense.
Iowa could score 85 on Virginia

I understand the defense angle, I just think this team with any sense of a offensive system should really excel. I told myself I would watch football today, but had to take in MBB. Not a hater at all, but the players need someone to provide direction.

Iowa could score 85 on Virginia
No doubt. This is the worst UVA defense in a decade but not for long. They have more than proven they can fix problems. You earn a great deal of trust equity with incredible defensive success, with multiple conference titles and the national title. Iowa has a approach that has not won them a thing.

Man the Big 10 is tough this year. I looked at the Gophers upcoming schedule assuming it would get a little softer, but it's hard to call it soft. It might be slightly easier as we get Nebraska twice but Michigan again, Rutgers on the road, Maryland and Indiana aren't gimmes. This is the toughest Big 10 I can remember.

We've been great at home though so if that continues we should be in decent shape.

Man the Big 10 is tough this year. I looked at the Gophers upcoming schedule assuming it would get a little softer, but it's hard to call it soft. It might be slightly easier as we get Nebraska twice but Michigan again, Rutgers on the road, Maryland and Indiana aren't gimmes. This is the toughest Big 10 I can remember.

We've been great at home though so if that continues we should be in decent shape.
The schedule has a very viable path to 13-7. That does not win the conference but the best under Pitino.

13-7 with 7 loses by over 15 points each. Sounds feasible!

I hear ya...I'm glad we're almost through this stretch but Michigan, at Neb, Maryland (beat Wis and Ill on the road), at Purdue, at Rutgers...2-3 might be realistic

Top Bottom