***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT IOWA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I don’t think either team is desperate. Neither team has anything to play for. Nebraska sucks. Gophers should win that game.
Hoiberg's seat is warm. I bet they'll be favored.

This is a rare game where the other team has just played a lot harder than us. Nearly every Big Ten team has more talent. When they play harder than us..... that's all she wrote.

In both games against Iowa this year, the difference has been Iowa cranking up the defense. How different is that from recent Iowa teams that couldn't defend to save their life!

In both games against Iowa this year, the difference has been Iowa cranking up the defense. How different is that from recent Iowa teams that couldn't defend to save their life!
It's easy to crank up the defense against us, because we can't create or get by anyone.

We are slow footed, have nothing inside, and have to work like hell with screens and cuts just to get a decent shot.

Again, it's total lack of talent.

No excuse for losing on Wednesday now...

Need more bodies that are able to play at this level. Thankfully Ben recruits his ass off. I'm hoping that by year 3 we've got a decent squad with a foundation.

A lot depends on the transfer portal though and how many guys Ben is able to get this offseason that are able to play right now at a high level.

I waited until 3:30 to only turn it off 1/4 of the way through the 2nd half. Worst lost of the year. Hope this lost doesn't impact their spirits for the rest of the year.

Equivalent to football's Bowling Green game
Not even close. The BG game was embarrassing from the get go and we had no answers for anything in it. This game we were in it for over half and did a lot of nice things during the first half.
The second half was brutal as nobody could make a shot and it looked like it started to wear on the for the first time this year.
Battle was out of it all day with Keegan guarding him. First time I've seen him not play with confidence. He as timid the whole 2nd half and didn't attack.
Battle and Willis have to carry us on the offensive end and that didn't happen today.

No excuse for losing on Wednesday now...

It's not an "excuse" thing.

The Gophers are who we thought they are. A team that lacks depth and talent, but - for the most part - has made up for it with hustle and smart play. But - that means they have no margin for error. if they don't play their "A" game, they can lose to anyone. Even Nebraska.

Certainly, the Gophers are capable of beating Nebraska. But - if things go south - they are also capable of losing to Nebraska.

the 2nd half today was was some people claimed the team was going to look like all season. for the most part, they've looked better than that. not today.

Hopefully, they can clean things up and come back with a better performance on Wednesday.

Not even close. The BG game was embarrassing from the get go and we had no answers for anything in it. This game we were in it for over half and did a lot of nice things during the first half.
The second half was brutal as nobody could make a shot and it looked like it started to wear on the for the first time this year.
Battle was out of it all day with Keegan guarding him. First time I've seen him not play with confidence. He as timid the whole 2nd half and didn't attack.
Battle and Willis have to carry us on the offensive end and that didn't happen today.
My comment was referring to 2nd half play. Out played in all facets of the game. This was a winnable game jast as the BG game.

Game was there for the taking. Unfortunately the guys played really sloppy. Can't make mistakes like that and expect to win. Also.....can't afford to have ANY of your players shoot 1-11. Hurts even more when it's your leading scorer.

Now I'm kind of mad that Loewe made that shot going into half. :mad:

I do not equate defense with Iowa, but it was on that side of the court where Iowa won this game.
Also, since Battles illness, he has been off. I am not sure what his illness was, but he hasn't returned to the level he was at before his illness.

Also, I stand by my comment that Eric Curry's jump hook is like watching a scud missile fly through the air. You never know where that shot is going to land.

I was one who thought we would get demolished a lot. Despite being 13th in the league I've felt better about the team. The last 9 games will be telling, no more "well they are just better ". We get the NW, PSU, NEB MD of the world. If we win 5-7 of the games I'll be pretty happy. 3-4 will be meh, if we win 2 or less I think those of us who were concerned will be proven right. I hope I'm wrong!

I waited until 3:30 to only turn it off 1/4 of the way through the 2nd half. Worst lost of the year. Hope this lost doesn't impact their spirits for the rest of the year.
A bunch of seniors who are used to being on .500 teams. They know how to deal with this.

I was one who thought we would get demolished a lot. Despite being 13th in the league I've felt better about the team. The last 9 games will be telling, no more "well they are just better ". We get the NW, PSU, NEB MD of the world. If we win 5-7 of the games I'll be pretty happy. 3-4 will be meh, if we win 2 or less I think those of us who were concerned will be proven right. I hope I'm wrong!

Nobody expected this to be a very good year. Lots of people expected single digit wins and a last place finish in the Big Ten. So what exactly would you be proven right about? Certainly not the hiring of Ben Johnson.

Well, the Gophers did win the rebounding battle 40-38 and even won the offensive board rebound stats 11-9
Didn't think they were going to win prior to the game, but then I got my hopes up. Tough to win when Battle gets 2 points on 1-12 and the turnovers are 2x as many as Iowa.
Damn it.
On to Nebraska.

Everybody who was concerned last summer was proven right (to be concerned) before we played a game. Anybody could look at the roster and see two guys recruited from high school to play Big Ten or comparable-level basketball. Willis and Curry, who has had four or five major surgeries and not the athlete he was as a freshman.

Ihnen is a Big Ten player but he blew out his knee looking at paint on the gym floor or something. In the portal Fox was considered a newly-minted major player. He blew out his knee picking a rose or something.

Battle was no sure thing but has proven to be a BIG player despite going 1 forever today. Everyone else is known to be then and now not Big Ten talent.

So we're to be terribly upset if this team, with little Big Ten talent, doesn't boatrace Penn St, NW, MD, and Nebby, all of whom do have actual Big Ten rosters?

Don't think so. Coaches did a great job running through non-conference and stealing two league games. Already surpassed all reasonable expectations. A win or two more will be amazing.

Top Bottom