***OFFICIAL MICHIGAN AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Huge win for the Gophers! I thought Michigan looked as good as anyone in the Big Ten. It was a relief to see the 3-pointer from Willis go through with a minute left. I felt more comfortable at that point because there haven't been many comebacks in that situation (except for the Gophers win at Indiana in ?1997? ?).

If we could find our 3 point shooting touch we could be a very good team. Go Gophers!

We’ve had Carr, Kalshaur and now Oturu go for 30 in a game. If we can get all three to be on in a game we can beat anybody. demir is consistent and Willis is a wild card right now - tre Williams could be the 3/4th amigo when he really starts to figure things out. The bench has to contribute more, but pitino is making his short bench bed again and I hope everyone stays healthy.

If we could find our 3 point shooting touch we could be a very good team. Go Gophers!
Totally right. We have shot 26% for the last three games. We are going to need to get hot to win some of these tight games. We do need to tighten up our help defense - when opposing guards beat their man, we are making it way to easy for them to get all the way to the rim.

Demir is starting to step up. Now we need a lot more out of Gabe and Willis.

Quality win against a ranked Michigan team. Bounced back well after Michigan caught us sleep-walking the first 10 minutes of this game. Very impressed with Carr today: 21-12-4 game with zero turnovers. WOW! Demir also got us some good buckets down the stretch.

Agree that Willis and Kalscheur need to find ways to get going. Particularly concerned about Kalscheur... seems he's having trouble getting good looks against solid B1G defenders.

Quality win against a ranked Michigan team. Bounced back well after Michigan caught us sleep-walking the first 10 minutes of this game. Very impressed with Carr today: 21-12-4 game with zero turnovers. WOW! Demir also got us some good buckets down the stretch.

Agree that Willis and Kalscheur need to find ways to get going. Particularly concerned about Kalscheur... seems he's having trouble getting good looks against solid B1G defenders.
Teams have film studied/scouted out Kalshaur‘s game. He doesn’t really have a plan to work off his go to moves. You have to do things that are unpredictable at this level to keep opponents off balance.

Gabe is definitely overthinking it, he cant seem to get into the offensive flow of the game, almost seems more mental than physical.

Oturu may have the lowest pain tolerance of any Gopher in Gopher history. Man is writhing in pain and then 5 minutes later he's playing.
I was at the Barn today. I told my friend that Oturu would have at least one injury incident where he writhed in pain. Sure nough.
Kid is excelling on the offensive end. Still too emotional and stops hustling back on defense when he gets upset. His emotions are his biggest weakness, otherwise he's playing like a beast. Sure hope he gives us one more year.

Oturu may have the lowest pain tolerance of any Gopher in Gopher history. Man is writhing in pain and then 5 minutes later he's playing.
I was at the Barn today. I told my friend that Oturu would have at least one injury incident where he writhed in pain. Sure nough.
Kid is excelling on the offensive end. Still too emotional and stops hustling back on defense when he gets upset. His emotions are his biggest weakness, otherwise he's playing like a beast. Sure hope he gives us one more year.

Injury wise, Oturu is the the Xavier Rhodes of the Gopher basketball team. Thankfully his play is much better for the Gophers than Rhodes is for the Vikings.

Pretty sure he went to the soccer school of injury response. I was reassuring people last game that he was probably fine.
Cant agree that his emotions are his biggest weakness. He bounces back from everything super fast which to me is the mark of emotional balance.

Gabe is hot and cold but one thing he always does is draw out a defender. He is always closely guarded on the perimeter. He also plays great defense. Oturu's play today was awesome but Demir had one of his best games so far this year. I liked his aggressiveness in taking the ball to the hoop.

I've noticed this before. I'm sure anybody on here that played sports growing up always had that one teammate that seemed always to be flopping around in pain like a salmon after contact. After a while, you learn not to take it seriously.

This time I was worried. From the nosebleeds, it looked like Dan was in excruciating pain. Pitino mentioned on the post-game show that Oturu has some shoulder issues stemming from an injury last year, and his right shoulder can pop out of place. You could tell Pitino was cautious with his words not to make it seem like a chronic issue, rather a minor annoyance. Bottom line, glad he is ok!

What's a good site to look at our quadrant records? That would be our 2nd quad 1 win right? and something like 5 quad 1 losses?

Warrennolan is the my favorite site for team sheets and looking at resumes

I've noticed this before. I'm sure anybody on here that played sports growing up always had that one teammate that seemed always to be flopping around in pain like a salmon after contact. After a while, you learn not to take it seriously.

This time I was worried. From the nosebleeds, it looked like Dan was in excruciating pain. Pitino mentioned on the post-game show that Oturu has some shoulder issues stemming from an injury last year, and his right shoulder can pop out of place. You could tell Pitino was cautious with his words not to make it seem like a chronic issue, rather a minor annoyance. Bottom line, glad he is ok!
Yes, in the House report thread Oturu talks about what happened.

Couple takeaways from the game:

Demir was aggressive getting to the hoop, love to see him attack and he's really starting to look a lot more comfortable on the floor. Finishing a lot better at the rim and really settled into a good role.

Willis had a tough game, but I still think based off of what I saw earlier in the year that he's going to be a big part of this team. Love to see the confidence to catch and hit the big shot at the end of the game after being cold - good shooters stay confident.

Loved that after Oturu went out, Carr didn't try to take over himself. We stayed in our offense, attacked the rim, got some big points from Tre and Demir, and really didn't look panicked at all. Very pleasantly surprised by that calm reaction to losing your best player who's having a career game.

If the defense had been a bit better to start the second half, really could have pulled away. Glad we hung with them and traded blows, but would have been nice to get a few stops in there to really put together a run.

I agree. And I suppose it is okay if a guy has a flare for the dramatic but.....if the game falls apart while you are putting yourself back together, it can kill your team.

Teams have film studied/scouted out Kalshaur‘s game. He doesn’t really have a plan to work off his go to moves. You have to do things that are unpredictable at this level to keep opponents off balance.
I think you are right, although I think Carr seems to hold his dribble a half beat long prior to passing to the perimeter, and that gave defenders a chance to close on Gabe at least 2 times today. Not complaining about Carr, as this is a strength, but just noting.

This board gets over enthusiastic about Carr and his numbers after home wins. The measure of a good point guard is how he guides his team on the road. Road games in the B1G are always a house of horrors and Carr's style of play kills this team. The off balance shots don't go in on the road, there are no bail out calls on the road, sloppy dribbling and passing don't end up in heroic saves on the road. Sleepy defense ends up in three point shots and lay ups that seem to always go in on the road. Michigan didn't win today, but Xavier Simpson knows how to play on the road. Let's calm down until Carr guides this team to some road wins in the B1G.

Pretty sure he went to the soccer school of injury response. I was reassuring people last game that he was probably fine.
Cant agree that his emotions are his biggest weakness. He bounces back from everything super fast which to me is the mark of emotional balance.
Perhaps I worded it wrong. I have seen him fail to hustle back on defense because he is pouting about something that didn't go his way. It hurts the team when he fails to stay focused on the moment. He needs to just let it go when there is no whistle instead of stopping to pout while the game is still live.

Just finished watching it. Carr and Oturu were HUGE! Demir continues to be solid. Would love it if they could get more than three players to have good games at the same time though. Gabe and Willis really struggled.

Couple takeaways from the game:

Demir was aggressive getting to the hoop, love to see him attack and he's really starting to look a lot more comfortable on the floor. Finishing a lot better at the rim and really settled into a good role.

Willis had a tough game, but I still think based off of what I saw earlier in the year that he's going to be a big part of this team. Love to see the confidence to catch and hit the big shot at the end of the game after being cold - good shooters stay confident.

Loved that after Oturu went out, Carr didn't try to take over himself. We stayed in our offense, attacked the rim, got some big points from Tre and Demir, and really didn't look panicked at all. Very pleasantly surprised by that calm reaction to losing your best player who's having a career game.

If the defense had been a bit better to start the second half, really could have pulled away. Glad we hung with them and traded blows, but would have been nice to get a few stops in there to really put together a run.
Willis was in a terrible matchup with Wagner. Wagner had about 5" on him so Wagner could post him up or pop out and hit the 3. I was surprised Michigan didn't post up Wagner as much as they could have. When Michigan did so, Willis couldn't stop Wagner.
Kalsheur played solid defense, which is great because he's struggling on offense.
Demir seems to be hitting his stride and believing he can play in this league. He had a solid game today.
If Omersa could score from outside of a foot from the rim, it would be helpful. His defender gave him two feet when Omersa got the ball at the foul line. Omersa has to take and make that shot.

Also a good day when 2 guards everybody figured would have to score 20/game between them to have a chance to win, combine for 7? and you still beat a ranked team by 8. And/or 2 guys a number of posters complained weren't Big 10 Caliber back in November end up going for 34pts. 9rebs and 14 assists and end up being clutch in 2nd half. You just never know until ya play the game!

This board gets over enthusiastic about Carr and his numbers after home wins. The measure of a good point guard is how he guides his team on the road. Road games in the B1G are always a house of horrors and Carr's style of play kills this team. The off balance shots don't go in on the road, there are no bail out calls on the road, sloppy dribbling and passing don't end up in heroic saves on the road. Sleepy defense ends up in three point shots and lay ups that seem to always go in on the road. Michigan didn't win today, but Xavier Simpson knows how to play on the road. Let's calm down until Carr guides this team to some road wins in the B1G.

Thats a cynical assessment. We lose by 15 at Purdue without Carr. His main issue was fatigue while playing 48 minutes.

I suppose you would say the same thing about Cassius Winston. He only had 10 points and committed 9 turnovers on the road today against Purdue. If you want to do a comparison Carr had a better game than Winston on the road a against Purdue.

Hummel has quickly become of my favorite commentators. I was quite pleased he was on our game today to make up for the Dakich disaster again Michigan State.
Yeah, Hummel is great as a commentator.

Hummel has quickly become of my favorite commentators. I was quite pleased he was on our game today to make up for the Dakich disaster again Michigan State.
I’ve found a way to get the volume just right where I can’t hear Dakich but I can hear his partner. It’s the little things.

Only saw the second half, but what a great win! There were some defensive lapses, but there was a lot to like on defense and offense. Demir had some really nifty footwork to score over taller and more athletic players. The highlights of Oturu's first half were amazing.
Michigan is an athletic team with height and shooters. I wish this team could have a mulligan for those three consecutive non conference losses as I think they could be .500 in conference if they continue to play this well.

Top Bottom