***OFFICIAL LOYOLA MARYMOUNT AT MINNESOTA GAME #2 IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Last night was the first game I caught of the season and it was kind of entertaining. I think Both Gach is smart and skilled. Really excited to see him develop. I'm glad Curry has healed up enough to play and I'm cheering for him. Maybe because he hasn't played much over the past two years, but he has become super tentative in rebounding and loose ball situations. Hoping that can improve and he can again be a positive on the floor.

He is the best player on the team by kind of a large margin. I liked Nate Mason a lot, but Carr is better in my opinion. His offensive game is really good.

Interestingly enough we heard the same convo when Nate left. Whos going to replace him? Same with Carr. Teams lose their best players all the time. We lost Oturo last year too. Its one of the beauties of college basketball and with the transfer market as flush as it is, it's easier and easier to find guys.

I could see Gach being the guy next year.

I could see Gach being the guy next year.
Maybe not next season, but I could see young Mashburn being The Guy by the time he's a junior. I think he's gonna end up playing at least 12 minutes a game this season, probably running the floor with Carr moving to SG for a few possessions each game. He'll have some freshman ups and downs, but he's looks super promising.

Between working against a great guard in practice every day and likely getting more and more run as the season (and his ability and experience) progresses this year, I think he has a great chance to be an excellent point guard by next year, or certainly by his junior season. I don't think we'll have a problem with him being our starting PG next year as a sophomore.

As far as who will be the next BMOC for the Men's B-Ball Team, that player is most likely not yet on the roster.

Possibilities:

Mashburn: Probably has the highest potential of anyone on the team. He is a freshman, plays guard on a guard dominate team (with Pitino) and has the most upside ahead of him.

Ihnen: I don't feel like he has really grown into his frame yet to maximize his physical abilities and he hasn't adapted to American basketball yet. He has shown signs of getting it, but his window as a sophomore is already starting to close. He needs to progress this year.

Tre Williams: He is already physically and mentally mature for hoops. I feel like his chance may have already come and gone since Pitino doesn't play him more. Hard to say with another year of Gabe solidly in front of him I don't like his chances.

Mitchell: This guy could be the sleeper! He is rail thin for his frame but has some pretty good physical skills. If they can pack some muscle on to him and red-shirt him he could surprise and grow into a real steal. Really a complete unknown at the moment with a lot of potential.

Gach: If he is the BMOC, it may be the sign of Pitino being shown the door. Not sure he can make the leap like Coffey, Carr and Oturu. We will probably know by the end of the season. Right now he looks like a great second option, not a savior. But then again, he hasn't had to try to put the team on his shoulders yet! He had the same pre-draft experience Carr did so maybe he could do a little Robin to Carr's Batman if needed. If so, he'll try to go to the draft again and may (foolishly) be gone after this one year.

Look for someone who isn't wearing Maroon and Gold yet is my bet.

As far as who will be the next BMOC for the Men's B-Ball Team, that player is most likely not yet on the roster.

Possibilities:

Mashburn: Probably has the highest potential of anyone on the team. He is a freshman, plays guard on a guard dominate team (with Pitino) and has the most upside ahead of him.

Ihnen: I don't feel like he has really grown into his frame yet to maximize his physical abilities and he hasn't adapted to American basketball yet. He has shown signs of getting it, but his window as a sophomore is already starting to close. He needs to progress this year.

Tre Williams: He is already physically and mentally mature for hoops. I feel like his chance may have already come and gone since Pitino doesn't play him more. Hard to say with another year of Gabe solidly in front of him I don't like his chances.

Mitchell: This guy could be the sleeper! He is rail thin for his frame but has some pretty good physical skills. If they can pack some muscle on to him and red-shirt him he could surprise and grow into a real steal. Really a complete unknown at the moment with a lot of potential.

Gach: If he is the BMOC, it may be the sign of Pitino being shown the door. Not sure he can make the leap like Coffey, Carr and Oturu. We will probably know by the end of the season. Right now he looks like a great second option, not a savior. But then again, he hasn't had to try to put the team on his shoulders yet! He had the same pre-draft experience Carr did so maybe he could do a little Robin to Carr's Batman if needed. If so, he'll try to go to the draft again and may (foolishly) be gone after this one year.

Look for someone who isn't wearing Maroon and Gold yet is my bet.
Ihnen is a guy I remain intrigued with but he is currently way too much of a floater who just wants to pop threes. Back in the day, Clem used to stick guys like him in close the bucket and make them mix it up inside before they started working on the perimeter. He needs to get in there, swap some elbows, learn to work in the paint to round out his game. Ihnen is too athletic to be doing what he is right now. I'd play him some at backup center in the non conference to build some grit in him. Eventually he can be a 3 or stretch 4 but right now he becomes too passive to help much on offense. Pitino needs to step it up with this kid as he is super talented. I am disappointed in the work Ihnen did this summer. I expected him to be a dribble drive threat this year...

Mashburn is going to be terrific and may pick up some of Gabe's time if Gabe remains cold on offense. Or we may have to go small with Gabe, Mash, Carr, Gach and Robbins at times.

Ihnen is not made for the inside, physically or mentally. He is a floater. IMO, that's his style of play. I watched him play three games in World Games last year and he was the same. I think he made one drive to the hoop and also during a fast break. Otherwise he floated the perimeter.

I want to see much more of Williams and specifically paired up with Carr, Mash and Gach and Robbins.

Ihnen is not made for the inside, physically or mentally. He is a floater. IMO, that's his style of play. I watched him play three games in World Games last year and he was the same. I think he made one drive to the hoop and also during a fast break. Otherwise he floated the perimeter.

I want to see much more of Williams and specifically paired up with Carr, Mash and Gach and Robbins.
I agree with your assessment of Ihnen, and a situation if fixed would make a big improvement. One incremental step that I would like to see them explore to change this situation, is to play him at the high post from time to time. Having him move in and out of high post to spread his threat, would cause problems for the D. With his height he should have good passing angles to the post or back out to the wings. It would also get him closer and more accustomed to a little more physical play (incremental), hopefully that would expand his game. He could also develop some drive to the hoop skills as well. In addition he could also set screens and pop out for a 3 after setting the screen.

No, I corrected your incorrect thinking that the Badgers are head and shoulders above the rest of the B1G Conference just because they are ranked #4 right now and "won" the conference last year. They had a 14-6 record which was TIED with Michigan St. and Maryland, and Illinois was right behind them at 13-7.

So no, I do not think just because they brought the same team back and won the conference by way of a 3 team tie that they are that much better than us. Especially since we smoked them at the Barn last year and should've completed the season sweep on Bucky if Gabe hit his free throws at the Kohl Center.
I never said they were head and shoulders above the conference.

You can’t read I’ve determined.

they are one of the favorites in a conference with 4 top 10 teams, 6 top 25 teams, and probably 11-12 top 50 teams.

so yeah, they should probably be in the top 10

you said something about how their ranking was complete shit and let’s see how they do in the big ten. I said they won the big ten last year. You disagreed and said they only won the big ten by a little.
Somehow now you’ve read that I said they’re head and shoulders above everyone.

I never said they were head and shoulders above the conference.

You can’t read I’ve determined.

they are one of the favorites in a conference with 4 top 10 teams, 6 top 25 teams, and probably 11-12 top 50 teams.

so yeah, they should probably be in the top 10

you said something about how their ranking was complete shit and let’s see how they do in the big ten. I said they won the big ten last year. You disagreed and said they only won the big ten by a little.
Somehow now you’ve read that I said they’re head and shoulders above everyone.
I can read what you've determined based on the CONTEXT buddy. Someone else said criticized how Wisconsin looked "young and white" and would be good in "a couple of years". You immediately responded by saying they're #4 in the nation. Get Bucky's nuts out of your mouth and tell us what you actually think makes them better than everybody else, don't just throw meaningless pre-season rankings around.

That is what coaches are for. He should be Rodney Williams. Has the same build and while not as athletic, he moves pretty good. I think not using this guy around the free throw line/elbow some is a mistake. What good is that height if it is standing around the perimeter all game? He could get all kinds of garbage buckets with that athleticism if he was forced to use it.

Ihnen has tried several times to drive the paint the last two years but just hasn’t been able to beat his man off the dribble. I think with his length, he is better suited to guard 4’s than 3’s even if he isn’t as physical. He has shown it can be hard to score over him if he just goes straight up.

Hey, I had to Google it...we play Friday at 8 vs North Dakota and then Tuesday vs Boston College.
Anxious to see what we look like. We need somebody to make a leap besides Carr....we do have guys with ability. Too many not playing up to it...but hoping at least somebody will, come Friday.

Ihnen has tried several times to drive the paint the last two years but just hasn’t been able to beat his man off the dribble. I think with his length, he is better suited to guard 4’s than 3’s even if he isn’t as physical. He has shown it can be hard to score over him if he just goes straight up.
Right now Ihnen is playing like he lost his puppy or broke up with his girlfriend. He is doing nothing.
"Floating" is even complimentary. He looks completely lost in a fog.
Tons of ability, currently in hiding.

I can read what you've determined based on the CONTEXT buddy. Someone else said criticized how Wisconsin looked "young and white" and would be good in "a couple of years". You immediately responded by saying they're #4 in the nation. Get Bucky's nuts out of your mouth and tell us what you actually think makes them better than everybody else, don't just throw meaningless pre-season rankings around.
You’re so mature.

I will give it a shot. Experienced, smart, tough mentally, great defensively, exceptional coaching. Same formula for the better part of 25 years.

Right now Ihnen is playing like he lost his puppy or broke up with his girlfriend. He is doing nothing.
"Floating" is even complimentary. He looks completely lost in a fog.
Tons of ability, currently in hiding.
I wouldn't say that, he has made some plays, contested a few shots down low resulting in misses, had a couple 3's in the opener and had a big block at the end of the game. We haven't seen him out there enough to say he looks lost.

I’d say they probably will be top 5 in the conference and top 20 in the nation. Clearly dog crap

I think what makes them better than a lot of other people is the fact that they are going to win games in conference play

I’d say they probably will be top 5 in the conference and top 20 in the nation. Clearly dog crap

I think what makes them better than a lot of other people is the fact that they are going to win games in conference play
I never said they were "dog crap". But finishing 5th in conference and being ranked #4 in the nation are completely different.

I will give it a shot. Experienced, smart, tough mentally, great defensively, exceptional coaching. Same formula for the better part of 25 years.
Let's have a wager where they finish at this year then. Won't be ranked in the top 15, that's for sure.

I never said they were "dog crap". But finishing 5th in conference and being ranked #4 in the nation are completely different.
Yeah. The difference between being 5th in the big ten and being 4th in the nation is probably 10-15 spots in the rankings.

And they might finish higher than 5th

Maybe not next season, but I could see young Mashburn being The Guy by the time he's a junior. I think he's gonna end up playing at least 12 minutes a game this season, probably running the floor with Carr moving to SG for a few possessions each game. He'll have some freshman ups and downs, but he's looks super promising.

Between working against a great guard in practice every day and likely getting more and more run as the season (and his ability and experience) progresses this year, I think he has a great chance to be an excellent point guard by next year, or certainly by his junior season. I don't think we'll have a problem with him being our starting PG next year as a sophomore.

I'm with you on Mash. I don't think he'll be a high volume guy and I don't think he wants to be. It will require some change on Pitino's offense as far as having the ball move more and qu, but he'll have good pick and pop guys with Ihnen, Mitchell, and Thompson coming up too
Let's have a wager where they finish at this year then. Won't be ranked in the top 15, that's for sure.

That’s brave to make. They ended in the top 15 last year and added scoring while not losing anything. That recipe is even stronger in a covid year where practices may be limited. Good luck my man

Regarding Wisconsin - you can hate the program all you want, but they win.

Why - IMHO, Wisconsin wins because they have a system. They recruit to that system. they coach that system. They have an identity, and they believe in it.

What is the Gophers' system? What is the Gophers' identity?

Believe it or not, it is possible to hate Wisconsin- and at the same time, respect Wisconsin for what that program has accomplished.

Wouldn't it be nice if people respected the Gophers' program in the same way?

maybe someday..........

Regarding Wisconsin - you can hate the program all you want, but they win.

Why - IMHO, Wisconsin wins because they have a system. They recruit to that system. they coach that system. They have an identity, and they believe in it.

What is the Gophers' system? What is the Gophers' identity?

Believe it or not, it is possible to hate Wisconsin- and at the same time, respect Wisconsin for what that program has accomplished.

Wouldn't it be nice if people respected the Gophers' program in the same way?

maybe someday..........
Great post.

Top Bottom