***OFFICIAL LOYOLA MARYMOUNT AT MINNESOTA GAME #2 IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Had a meeting so needed to record and watch the game late. I found myself laughing toward the end of the game thinking how people here must have lost their sht. So glad not to live through the traditional cataclysmic melt down. Again, so many posters are in their midseason existential despair form. Please, leave something in the tank for those dark winter days.

That assumes, of course, that he has a reliable shooter on the pine now to replace him. I'm not seeing that. Being cold is typically not a reason for benching. Missing assignments, being lazy, not following instructions, etc. are more likely punishable with bench time.
Sometimes you switch player's roles to help them get out of slumps. putting him on the bench to start wouldn't mean he wouldn't be on the floor at the finish.

Sometimes you just need a change. Mariano Rivera wasn't a very good starter.

My main thing with this game last night and even the game before with these guys. Our team gets outworked, outhustled, etc. They need to bring fire. Come on coach, you need to at least do that if you aren't going to work any kind of offense.

One more thing, the ball needs to go inside once and awhile. It can't constantly be our guards dribbling around the perimeter. Big Ten defenses will eat that up.

My main thing with this game last night and even the game before with these guys. Our team gets outworked, outhustled, etc. They need to bring fire. Come on coach, you need to at least do that if you aren't going to work any kind of offense.

One more thing, the ball needs to go inside once and awhile. It can't constantly be our guards dribbling around the perimeter. Big Ten defenses will eat that up.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

This has been one of my biggest issue with Pitino's teams - even when they win, they manage to look like they're sleep walking usually to open games and often several times throughout.

This year's version so far seems to have great difficulty feeding anything into the post. (Which, coincidentally may have something to do with missing wide open 3's)

Watched the game on DVR. Man, is Carr good. Didn’t see the GB game, but between the two LMU games, he has gotten better than last year. If he can continue this play, he is an NBA player. Didn’t think that after last year when he was flirting with leaving. Gach is a welcome addition. Was he just lightly recruited, or how did he end up in Utah? With that said, I don’t see greatness here, especially if Carr has an off night. Hope I’m wrong. It’ll be awesome to have some depth for once under Pitino.

Gabe has some value for his all-around game. he does not have to make 3's to contribute. He can play a role as a solid defender with good court sense, and look for opportunities to drive to the basket and draw fouls or pull up for a mid-range shot.

but, you can just tell from his body language and facial expressions that the outside shooting is messing with his head. It's up to Pitino to convince Gabe that he doesn't have to shoot 3's to contribute to the team's success.

this gets back to what someone was saying about players knowing their roles.

Here were my thoughts...

1) Carr is playing like a man on a mission. Absolutely putting the team on his back. Saw a lot of fan messages from Pitt last night, and let's just say they were ticked that he isn't still a Panther. Many were blaming Capel, whether that's warranted or not.
2) Seriously, what is wrong with Gabe? He plays solid/average defense, but his shooting has now been hurting the team for awhile. We all hear that he drains everything in practice. So is this a mental issue? When is he going to get out of this slump? I'm rooting for him to break out of it, but if this continues, Pitino needs to lower his minutes a bit.
3) Let's give some respect to the LMU coaching staff and players. They played hard and did everything they could to try to take Carr out of the game. What impressed me is their bigs were almost always in the right spot for an offensive rebound. Well-coached team. Yesterday was never going to be a blow-out. Tough facing a team twice in three days.
4) Did not like the offense last night. A lot of dribbling. Why are we rarely posting up? Only game three with little practice leading up to the first week, but I'd like to see better ball movement going forward.
5) The refs destroyed the flow of the game last night. Wayyyyyyyyyyy too many fouls called. Neither team could get in any rhythm because of it.

This year's version so far seems to have great difficulty feeding anything into the post. (Which, coincidentally may have something to do with missing wide open 3's)
Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt that Robbins and Johnson are still getting acclimated. It seems Robbins should be capable of consistently being fed in the post. Hopefully we see more of this as the season progresses. They’ll need it once the conference season starts, or they’ll be eaten alive.

Lunardi's latest bracketology just dropped. 10 big ten teams make tourney. Gophs are first team out.

What Marcus said is absolutely true. Gabe made three key plays in the stretch run, including making free throws, and taking a charge, that made the difference in the game. I didn't notice Gabe taking any bad perimeter shots, either. They were open and in sync with the offense. No forcing them. maybe one or two taking it to the basket he could have pulled back. He's a valuable player.
As Jim Dutcher once said- it's a bad shot if it doesn't go in...

Stan Johnson is highly thought of. He will do well at LMU. Playing back to back can also favor the lesser team.
Agree with this! No way was it gonna be the same game as it was on Saturday. Give them credit they made it difficult for us as any good coach would do second time around on a back to back. Not down on minnesota at all. Now if we look like this next game I might begin to worry a little. We have to improve on alot of things. We need to practice and gel as a team. Alot of teams going through this. My buddy who's an indiana fan is beside himself right now, as his hoosiers just shot 21% first half against texas. Let's not jump ship quite yet!

They won the conference last year and have everyone back.
Well actually they tied for 1st, in what was an extremely tight finish last year. Don't make it out like they dominated the conference and blew everyone out. We killed them in the Barn last season and should've swept them if Gabe could hit his free throws.

Well actually they tied for 1st, in what was an extremely tight finish last year. Don't make it out like they dominated the conference and blew everyone out. We killed them in the Barn last season and should've swept them if Gabe could hit his free throws.
Did you just correct me saying that they won the conference by saying “well actually they barely won the conference”

LOL

Last edited:

:) Virginia lost to SF thus this statement.
Statement is for all teams introducing new players into their lineup. With UVA, they do have fans with scars of decades of mediocrity, just like here and some of them still get freaked out by a loss. Pretty funny because for a decade they have a record of great improvement, several conference titles, the final 4 and a national title. They should not stress at all. If not competing for a national title with this team, they will with the next one. Here, we have decades of no titles and so even in winning games with several new faces we have fans who stress. I like how Gabe is being handled, i like the length of the roster on defense, i like seeing guys get low and wide. It just takes time for teams to get together, to get close.

Last edited:

Did you just correct me saying that they won’t the conference by saying “well actually they barely won the conference”

LOL
No, I corrected your incorrect thinking that the Badgers are head and shoulders above the rest of the B1G Conference just because they are ranked #4 right now and "won" the conference last year. They had a 14-6 record which was TIED with Michigan St. and Maryland, and Illinois was right behind them at 13-7.

So no, I do not think just because they brought the same team back and won the conference by way of a 3 team tie that they are that much better than us. Especially since we smoked them at the Barn last year and should've completed the season sweep on Bucky if Gabe hit his free throws at the Kohl Center.

They crushed us in the conference standings. We always finish behind them. They still got a conference championship trophy and they get credit with a conference title in the record book. If we want to get into should have, could have and if, well that is just a thing for teams that do not get it done.

They crushed us in the conference standings. We always finish behind them. They still got a conference championship trophy and they get credit with a conference title in the record book. If we want to get into should have, could have and if, well that is just a thing for teams that do not get it done.
I wasn't arguing that they didn't finish above us in the standings. Of course they did. If they want to feel great about winning a conference championship trophy after having the same record as two other teams, good for Bucky. But it's also a fact that we blew them out by 20 points at home and lost by 2 points at the Kohl Center.

Does that discrepancy speak #4 team in the nation to you? Are they that much better than us? The answer is no.

They absolutely earned it. I will only note that they ended the year with 8 straight games of 3 point shooting that was way above their individual and team averages. They value the ball and earn good shots, which is something I envy as a gopher fan, and I know that factors into their shooting. I’m sure they will improve as a team and be as steady as ever, but I’m not convinced that they are as good as their end of 2020 streak suggests.

I wasn't arguing that they didn't finish above us in the standings. Of course they did. If they want to feel great about winning a conference championship trophy after having the same record as two other teams, good for Bucky. But it's also a fact that we blew them out by 20 points at home and lost by 2 points at the Kohl Center.

Does that discrepancy speak #4 team in the nation to you? Are they that much better than us? The answer is no.
I think they are in that #4 RANGE and i do not think that that there is a huge gap between those types of teams and teams ranked 25th-40th. The difference is the consistency that comes from great coaching and that piles up wins.

Lunardi's latest bracketology just dropped. 10 big ten teams make tourney. Gophs are first team out.
Purdue isn’t making the tourney. So it lost all credibility.

Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt that Robbins and Johnson are still getting acclimated. It seems Robbins should be capable of consistently being fed in the post. Hopefully we see more of this as the season progresses. They’ll need it once the conference season starts, or they’ll be eaten alive.

Yes, I hope we see more from them. Right now just from what my eyes see, I am a little worried about what this Robbins cat is gonna be for us. Don't see alot of athletiscm or strength.

Yes, I hope we see more from them. Right now just from what my eyes see, I am a little worried about what this Robbins cat is gonna be for us. Don't see alot of athletiscm or strength.
Agreed. LMU bigs had there way with him.....

Agreed, this is a way bigger worry for me currently. I'm hoping it's just because they were both unicorns. One guy being 7'3 and the other being 6'6 but ridiculously strong.

Agree, havent seen much from him. I refuse to believe he is this bad. One of 20 on the Jabbar list for one thing. Gophs missed a couple weeks of practice and he also is recovering from injury. Am expecting him to steadily improve.

Going to get worse once Carr leaves. I don't see any player who will be "the guy" after this season (assuming Carr leaves...which he will).
He is the best player on the team by kind of a large margin. I liked Nate Mason a lot, but Carr is better in my opinion. His offensive game is really good.

Top Bottom