***OFFICIAL LOYOLA MARYMOUNT AT MINNESOTA GAME #1 IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Although he hasn't started, he's come into the game pretty quickly in both games. I guess I don't care if Curry is an honorary starter as a 5th year player with the program but Johnson plays most of the minutes.
A key to this season will be him and Robbins staying out of foul trouble.

Johnson needs to start and play way more.

This. It's clear that he knows where to be on the court, he can fight for rebounds, and he can shoot. He should start and Curry should be the first off the bench in the front court.

This. It's clear that he knows where to be on the court, he can fight for rebounds, and he can shoot. He should start and Curry should be the first off the bench in the front court.
Also a very solid defender.

Hoped to see a Pitino team that does not fade and keeps up their intensity. All games have runs but with a deeper bench we should be able to field a team that plays hard for the entire game.

Well. silly me for thinking having a deep bench would mean we wouldn't absolutely fade down the stretch

Wonder how much the second match up played into the continued fight by lmu. Good win - liked what I saw from Johnson, Both, and Gabe in the second half.

Free throw ace Jarvis Omersa
seemed to be the only one who thought they were free.

just over 70% for the game.

a big reason why this team consistently does not close out games.

Loved seeing Omersa 4-4 free throws, and he looked smooth and confident shooting them. Gives me a lot of hope that he can develop into at least a net neutral on offense, which would be awesome. Like to see kalscheur continue to find ways to score and contribute without hitting 3s. Robbins might be a shooter? Brandon johnson looks solid, gach looks like a good #2 to carr. Obviously at the end of the day, if we don’t make shots it doesn’t matter, but definitely can see potential through 2 games.

Between the two games, the Gophers are going to get a hard 80 minutes out of LMU. Even when it’s looked like we might pull away, they just keep coming. Gonna do a lot of good in knocking the rust off...getting the team’s mind right for conference play.

I bet they'll be a force in their conference in the future - love how hard they played - no quit in them.

I love Brandon Johnson. Played great defense, took a couple of charges, looks like he can handle the ball and has a shot. The Gophers need these games to get into a rhythm and build momentum. We are going to get better and better.

Really like the energy that Johnson and Goch bring. They both work hard. Robbins will be solid if he can stay out of foul trouble. Lots of depth with this team. If Gabe can find his shot we could be very good.

Although he hasn't started, he's come into the game pretty quickly in both games. I guess I don't care if Curry is an honorary starter as a 5th year player with the program but Johnson plays most of the minutes.
IMO the rotation just makes more sense to have Curry coming off the bench because when Robbins gets that quick first foul, you can put Curry in their and not lose a ton of size at the 5. But when you start Curry and then put Johnson, then you have Omersa come in as the 5 and IMO it would make more sense to have Omersa come in for Johnson and Curry for Omersa.

Just my thoughts.

Tre Williams could very well be our 6th man off the bench in terms of scoring.
Really?

I like him coming off the bench to bring energy and be a lockdown defender on the perimeter, basically a guard version of Omersa, but I don't think he is skilled enough offensively to be a 6th man in terms of scoring. That is more likely to be someone like Mashburn or Ihnen if he shoots it well.

Every time Quintana scored for them ..... could not help but think to myself:

“F’ing Quintana ....... that creep can roll, man”

Watching Michigan State after watching the Gophers. We will get killed by MSU if we play like we did tonight. MSU is so efficient on offense and disciplined on defense. Glad we have these few games to help us, but MSU looks like they are in mid-season form. We need to get better in a hurry.

Few observations from first game on TV.
1. Carr is a beast! Going to be a fun year for him
2. WE ACTUALLY HAVE DEPTH Nice to have guys who can contribute off the bench. Personally I think this helps Gabe the most, when we struggles we can fill minutes and he doesn't have to shoot 10 bad shots a game
3. Johnson needs a majority of the PF minutes. When not in foul trouble I think Omersa/Curry are smaller minute guys, they have a role but I'd say combined if they got 20 min that would be enough
4. Gach is a nice 2nd fiddle to Carr, I think he really benefits from less attention and will thrive

All on all a nice game, B1G is going to be a bear this year, we are going to have a middling record but that doesn't mean we aren't a pretty solid squad

Top Bottom