***OFFICIAL IUPUI AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

One downside was watching JOJ attempt to jump over someone for a rebound rather than get position for the rebound. He had two or three fouls because he tried to reach over someone who had established position. He cannot be successful as a rebounder if he's relying on his hops alone. There are far too many fundamentally sound players in the B1G. He'll foul out against good teams.

At least we beat the teams that we're supposed to beat, ala Northwestern to Chicago State lol 😆 and it allows Dawson time to not rush back and possibly hurt his ankle before conference play resumes

Stupid stats that were probably already posted.
Gophers hit on 42 of 67 for .627 % against IUPUI which is their best shooting performance in 171 games.
The 31 assists were the most in 201 games.

It was also the highest team total for assists in a game by a Big Ten team this season. It is tied for 3rd best in the nation in a game this season against D1 opponents. Colorado State had 37 against Wright State and Kansas had 34 against North Carolina Central. Nevada (against Portland) and Mississippi State (against Tulane) also had 31 in a game.

As we know, the Gophers have had their problems with turnovers this season. Their highest total in a game was 18 but that isn't even close to the leader with 28 (Stephen F. Austin in an overtime game). The 18 was in a game we won (against Nebraska) and our lowest turnover totals (5 against San Francisco and 7 against Missouri) were in games that we lost.

It was also the highest team total for assists in a game by a Big Ten team this season. It is tied for 3rd best in the nation in a game this season against D1 opponents. Colorado State had 37 against Wright State and Kansas had 34 against North Carolina Central. Nevada (against Portland) and Mississippi State (against Tulane) also had 31 in a game.

As we know, the Gophers have had their problems with turnovers this season. Their highest total in a game was 18 but that isn't even close to the leader with 28 (Stephen F. Austin in an overtime game). The 18 was in a game we won (against Nebraska) and our lowest turnover totals (5 against San Francisco and 7 against Missouri) were in games that we lost.
Minnesota had 16 turnovers against Missouri and 18 turnovers against San Francisco.

Not to take anything away from the significance of McDonald’s accomplishment, but keep in mind that those were the days that we rarely lost to Wisconsin.

And this was done against *checks notes* IUPUI. Not exactly a juggernaut my friend.

And this was done against *checks notes* IUPUI. Not exactly a juggernaut my friend.
Well aware of that (obviously). And the Gophers have played many, many bottom feeder teams over the years without this many dimes being dished. In spite of the competition, it was an incredible performance. I was there. Were you?

Minnesota had 16 turnovers against Missouri and 18 turnovers against San Francisco.
Not only that but a big chunk of the turnovers were steals - 10 by Missouri and 14 by San Franscisco and especially in the San Francisco game those steals led to 25 points off of turnovers. It was 15 in the Missouri game.

When this team takes care of the basketball they have looked really good. Hawkins seems to be settling in and doing a better job taking care of the ball and it will be key for the team that he continues to do that against better competition.

Well aware of that (obviously). And the Gophers have played many, many bottom feeder teams over the years without this many dimes being dished. In spite of the competition, it was an incredible performance. I was there. Were you?

No. But I’m not sure on the relevance of being there?

I watched the Ariel McDonald games. Against Big Ten teams. Did you?

No. But I’m not sure on the relevance of being there?

I watched the Ariel McDonald games. Against Big Ten teams. Did you?
Yes, was a season ticket holder at the time and now, been going to games since Lou Hudson played. Have you? Of course it’s relevant to have seen such a dominant performance, and I am not suggesting he is anywhere as good as Ariel.

Last edited:

One downside was watching JOJ attempt to jump over someone for a rebound rather than get position for the rebound. He had two or three fouls because he tried to reach over someone who had established position. He cannot be successful as a rebounder if he's relying on his hops alone. There are far too many fundamentally sound players in the B1G. He'll foul out against good teams.
I think he'll change his style of play--hopefully? Its hard to judge against teams like IUPUI.

Yah, just not impressive at all. But strange against such an easy foe they all just didn’t chuck it from half court. No competition so why bother to pass and set up good shots? Makes no sense.

Yah, just not impressive at all. But strange against such an easy foe they all just didn’t chuck it from half court. No competition so why bother to pass and set up good shots? Makes no sense.

Didn’t say it wasn’t impressive. OP downplayed the McDonald game because “that’s when we always beat Wisconsin”

I don’t care who you’re playing—17 assists is really hard to do. You rely on so many guys to take and make shots. Think about how many great passes lead to wide open looks guys miss. You have very little control over your assist—aside from getting guys the ball in the right spot.

Outside of games like NDSU against Oak Hill Christian you can’t expect easy bucket after easy bucket.

Didn’t say it wasn’t impressive. OP downplayed the McDonald game because “that’s when we always beat Wisconsin”

I don’t care who you’re playing—17 assists is really hard to do. You rely on so many guys to take and make shots. Think about how many great passes lead to wide open looks guys miss. You have very little control over your assist—aside from getting guys the ball in the right spot.

Outside of games like NDSU against Oak Hill Christian you can’t expect easy bucket after easy bucket.
Last year's roster would've had alot closer game than this. These guys are pulling for eachother and when Hawkins got his last assist, the bench was ecstatic. We took care of business and we did it with a bit of flash.

there you go again, mischaracterizing my posts. I did not disparage McDonald’s accomplishment. You had pointed out that IUPUI was a weak opponent. All I did was to remind you that Wisconsin was no juggernaut at the time. And you did disparage Hawkin’s achievement.

Agree with all this. Yay!

Last year's roster would've had alot closer game than this. These guys are pulling for eachother and when Hawkins got his last assist, the bench was ecstatic. We took care of business and we did it with a bit of flash.
The ability to crush bad teams is something this team possesses that the previous two squads did not. Which is nice to see.

Top Bottom