***OFFICIAL IOWA AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I never said it is a wasted scholarship, stop trying to make up things I didn't say. I am happy Evans is coming here. He's not a consensus 5* top 20 recruit, only one site has him rated as that. He's still a big project with a high upside, that may or may not be reached.

Because of that, he's not likely to be a huge difference maker next season, especially with the way the roster is currently constructed. That is unlikely to change much heading into next season. There's no 'lunacy' about it, and Ben needs to win next season.
The only 2 sites that matter, Rivals and 24/7, both have Evans as a 5* Top-20.

But I don't expect him to dominate in his first year. The year-after-next is when we should be good. Just like when Clem's guys became juniors & sophomores.

But I fully expect you and this board to blast away next year. 1 more year of putting up with this.

If there is one thing I think should be obvious to everyone. When we are in the middle of a B1G season and this is the type of conversations we are having...

Maybe have the wrong coach

2 other comments about this thread:

1) I agree that Ben took the best players he could without a lot of regard to roster construction. Because we're rebuilding, and won-loss record isn't overly important at the moment. We need to get a base in place with as much playing-time as possible...and THEN add the piece or 2 for detailed roster construction.

2) I don't understand why MennoSota & Dakota2 are arguing. They are 2 of the very few who both seem to be in agreement with my basic idea of a ground-up rebuild. Or they at least appreciate recruiting.

Except you, apparently. Must be uncomfortable.
Are you spying on me? Checking my garbage for metamucil?
Are you a person who lives to have others tell you you're special? How many participation awards hang on your wall of fame?

1) I agree that Ben took the best players he could without a lot of regard to roster construction. Because we're rebuilding, and won-loss record isn't overly important at the moment. We need to get a base in place with as much playing-time as possible...and THEN add the piece or 2 for detailed roster construction.

2) I don't understand why MennoSota & Dakota2 are arguing. They are 2 of the very few who both seem to be in agreement with my basic idea of a ground-up rebuild. Or they at least appreciate recruiting.
I agree with #2.
I think Dakota just likes to argue. All I asked him was whether he had any documentation for his assertion.

1) I agree that Ben took the best players he could without a lot of regard to roster construction. Because we're rebuilding, and won-loss record isn't overly important at the moment.
The won loss record is VERY important. It didn't have to be above .500 but this won loss record is damaging to the program. The 2024 class will be signed before another game is played next fall. He is going to be recruiting to a squad that has been 5-25 or something like it over two years, Pilgrim.

The only 2 sites that matter, Rivals and 24/7, both have Evans as a 5* Top-20.

But I don't expect him to dominate in his first year. The year-after-next is when we should be good. Just like when Clem's guys became juniors & sophomores.

But I fully expect you and this board to blast away next year. 1 more year of putting up with this.
Next year's crowds....

1676554935172.png

Lots appreciate the recruiting. We hate everything else. Also, we will see if players (the recruits we like) transfer in the next year or two, due to historically bad basketball. Losing does a number on these guys. It would be different if they were collecting $10m a year and losing, but they aren’t.

It has always been a ground-up rebuild, although I would venture to say Ben expected to have better portal help this year than has panned out. Regardless, the only way to improve and sustain a higher trajectory is recruiting supplemented with rifle shot portal pieces.

Johnson is far better suited for high school recruiting than portal acquisition. He is patient and hardworking, the key to building relationships with players and families. He seems good at crafting a long range vision for recruits.

These attributes don't help much in the portal. The time frame is too short for deep relationship building. Players are transferring with as little as one year of eligibility. They don't care about your long term vision.

Really good transfers who can impact your season come to win now. They are looking at recent program history as much as the coach.

Ben would need to be lucky to get a pg who is way better than Cooper. He may get one who is not overall better but super quick and a good defender. That would help and allow Cooper to play sg where he is better.

Last edited:

What people mean by redundant is that the Gophers are like a Swiss army knife with 4 nail files. Maybe a better nail file is coming in. Doesn't really expand the number of things that you can do, though.
The best shot blocker in high school basketball is a unique recruit on this team and would be on most teams in the country. That skill along with his size is not remotely duplicative of any other player on our roster.

Evans is not a better nail file. He is the nail and maybe the hammer too.

The best shot blocker in high school basketball is a unique recruit on this team and would be on most teams in the country. That skill along with his size is not remotely duplicative of any other player on our roster.

Evans is not a better nail file. He is the nail and maybe the hammer too.
Agree to disagree. I doubt he'll bring a lot of versatility (i.e., being able to guard different positions, shooting mid-range and 3s, dribble-driving, etc.). IMO, that's a very similar list of shortcomings to Payne's game, in particular, at the same position, but with the addition of a plus-shotblocking ability.

It's ok if you disagree. Maybe Payne and Evans can play together and I'm completely wrong.

Agree to disagree. I doubt he'll bring a lot of versatility (i.e., being able to guard different positions, shooting mid-range and 3s, dribble-driving, etc.). IMO, that's a very similar list of shortcomings to Payne's game, in particular, at the same position, but with the addition of a plus-shotblocking ability.

It's ok if you disagree. Maybe Payne and Evans can play together and I'm completely wrong.
They couldn't now. Hopefully with coaching and hard work by both- that could change. Payne has all sorts of potential if he works to expand his game. IF he can do that, they would create a pretty imposing defensive duo.

They couldn't now. Hopefully with coaching and hard work by both- that could change. Payne has all sorts of potential if he works to expand his game. IF he can do that, they would create a pretty imposing defensive duo.
There's already other 4s on the roster who are getting PT this year, though, including arguably the best player on the team (when healthy) who'll average playing about 80-90% of the available minutes.

There's already other 4s on the roster who are getting PT this year, though, including arguably the best player on the team (when healthy) who'll average playing about 80-90% of the available minutes.
True!

I just have a feeling that one of Garcia or Battle moves on after this year. I would be fine with a lineup of Payne/Garcia/Ola Joseph/Henley or Christie and a good PG from the portal and have Evans coming off the bench. Two years out, it is ideal if Payne and Evans play together- assuming Payne's game is ready to stretch to the 4. I believe he will be able to defend at that level...offensively- that one is up to him. If he ever wants to be in the league that's what he has to do.

Battle and Garcia have to know that they don't fit in a lineup together with Payne and Payne is going to play 30 minutes per game next year. Battle is a 4 with only fair rebounding skills and average at best defensive ability. But at the 4 in the right offense he would be a dangerous sniper.

True!

I just have a feeling that one of Garcia or Battle moves on after this year. I would be fine with a lineup of Payne/Garcia/Ola Joseph/Henley or Christie and a good PG from the portal and have Evans coming off the bench. Two years out, it is ideal if Payne and Evans play together- assuming Payne's game is ready to stretch to the 4. I believe he will be able to defend at that level...offensively- that one is up to him. If he ever wants to be in the league that's what he has to do.

Battle and Garcia have to know that they don't fit in a lineup together with Payne and Payne is going to play 30 minutes per game next year. Battle is a 4 with only fair rebounding skills and average at best defensive ability. But at the 4 in the right offense he would be a dangerous sniper.

They would have to get a really good PG from the portal (unlikely) or that team may be even worse than this year's team.

They would have to get a really good PG from the portal (unlikely) or that team may be even worse than this year's team.
It all depends on player development and putting guys in the right spots to succeed. Yes- if they all come back as the same player they are this year- it's a terrible team. Players do develop and the biggest jump is often between the freshman year and sophomore. The first year exposes their flaws at this level. The one positive about this year is the freshmen got the chance to play and learn.

Right now- Cooper- a 2G is playing the point. Henley a 3 is playing the 2G. Battle a 4 is playing the 3.
Payne with no skill away from the bucket is usually stationed high post. Everybody is in the wrong spot. The addition of a good PG moves everyone to their correct position. Plus they need to grow their games. They will.

Garcia is currently listed as a sophomore. Hard to believe given this is his third team, but he could theoretically be here 2 more years. That means the same issues are going to happen through Payne's 3rd year, unless someone leaves. Too many nail files.

Garcia is currently listed as a sophomore. Hard to believe given this is his third team, but he could theoretically be here 2 more years. That means the same issues are going to happen through Payne's 3rd year, unless someone leaves. Too many nail files.
I would think that he would be wanting to get paid somewhere after another year here.

Very cloudy ☁️ today in South Dakota apparently🙄

Quite sunny and nice. The reality of this program is very cloudy if you want to be realistic.

I find it funny that some posters want one of the two top scorers to leave from a 1 win team that can't score, and think we'll be better next year because of it.

Top Bottom