***OFFICIAL GOPHERS VS PENN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Well...that was a fitting end to this B1G season...

Well, it was a true senior day for three players at the barn today: Mo Walker, DJ Newbill, and Ross Travis.

I don't want to take anything away from PSU because they played well, but this team lost for some of the same reasons they've lost numerous games this year: not playing the perimeter shooters close enough and not attacking the boards hard enough. King had a very good offensive game but he needs to play a stretch forward next year and Pitino needs to recruit someone who will attack the boards with some determination. Enough is enough.

I thought Mason played pretty good defense on Newbill on that last shot. Newbill just hit a tough clutch shot. If the team would have guarded the perimeter shooters like that for the first half of the game, the result may have been different.

Except for a flurry a points by Hollins for a stretch in the first half, the two senior guards weren't much of a positive today.

I think it really hurt not having McNeil as an option. He was legitimately a good defender. Could have made a difference on some of those games where they gave up tons of wide open 3's. Too bad he's a crazy person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it really hurt not having McNeil as an option. He was legitimately a good defender. Could have made a difference on some of those games where they gave up tons of wide open 3's. Too bad he's a crazy person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Pitino also needs quickness and depth to be able to play his aggressive defense.

The tough part is this team is going to take a step back next year. No immediate impact players coming in and our top prospect Jarvis Johnson has plummeted down the recruit rankings. But that doesn't mean he won't be good. It just might take a tad longer for him, and the rest of the incoming class, to develop. Perhaps 2-3 years we will be back on the bubble. That's the state of the program: Striving to simple mediocrity.

The tough part is this team is going to take a step back next year. No immediate impact players coming in and our top prospect Jarvis Johnson has plummeted down the recruit rankings. But that doesn't mean he won't be good. It just might take a tad longer for him, and the rest of the incoming class, to develop. Perhaps 2-3 years we will be back on the bubble. That's the state of the program: Striving to simple mediocrity.

Thank you...please convey this message to some posters on here that do not live in reality.

This program has hit rock bottom. On the bright side, we have nowhere to go but up!

Nope, I'm good now.

I'm actually really just thankful that we don't have to argue about whether we finished 9th or 6th this year.

Now that is actually pretty funny!!!!!!!

By the way we were tied for 6th!

This program has hit rock bottom. On the bright side, we have nowhere to go but up!

Hey I'm a Gopher fan.....but next year will be worse in my opinion. I do think we will get better with Pitino, but I think we are two years away from making improvements. Next year will be rock bottom.

Why is that? Only 5 can start.

Because it didn't meet your wants, it's a "dick move". Uh, ok.

I don't remember the last time I didn't see all seniors starting on senior day.

It's a dick move.

I understand EE and Mo don't normally play together (his excuse was "we're trying to win"), but you also don't normally start K.S.

I don't remember the last time I didn't see all seniors starting on senior day.

It's a dick move.

I understand EE and Mo don't normally play together (his excuse was "we're trying to win"), but you also don't normally start K.S.
There's plenty of coaches that choose to use their regular starting lineup on senior day rather than all seniors. It's not that strange at all.

OSU started 2 freshman today with a couple seniors on the bench.

the college game is getting ruined by TV time outs for sure but...... when has it been OK to carry the ball? i am seeing it all over college BB and where it once was was a league that took pride in following the rules of BB they are now trying to be like the NBA. so many times by PSU today and some by our team the guards are carrying the ball and especially PSU's # 2, there were even a couple of times that the refs allowed an extra step (previously only the NBA looked away on the extra step). the whole college level of BB is getting ruined for the purest fan.

Bring on Baseball!

Except that he isn't our top prospect. Nice try.

There's plenty of coaches that choose to use their regular starting lineup on senior day rather than all seniors. It's not that strange at all.

OSU started 2 freshman today with a couple seniors on the bench.

It's strange for Minnesota. That's all.

And I'm going all the way back to 1982. Gophers were playing Ohio State on Senior Day. Lose and we end in a tie for 1st place with Ohio State. Win and we get the title outright.

Breuer did not start. Dutcher instead started Andy Thompson, who ended up playing a total of 3 minutes that game: The first 2 and the last 1.

Sorry. Not starting Mo was dickish.

You know, I keep hearing "The tradition that is Golden Gopher basketball!" used as a tagline. What exactly does the program mean by that? Give me one worthwhile "tradition" that's actually a "tradition". Oh, here's one: Starting the effing seniors on Senior Day.

G
the college game is getting ruined by TV time outs for sure but...... when has it been OK to carry the ball? i am seeing it all over college BB and where it once was was a league that took pride in following the rules of BB they are now trying to be like the NBA. so many times by PSU today and some by our team the guards are carrying the ball and especially PSU's # 2, there were even a couple of times that the refs allowed an extra step (previously only the NBA looked away on the extra step). the whole college level of BB is getting ruined for the purest fan.

Bring on Baseball!
This has been a frequent problem this year, and never worse than today. Just ridiculous. And not just for the purest fan. Williams was filled with people giving the travel signal.

It's strange for Minnesota. That's all.

And I'm going all the way back to 1982. Gophers were playing Ohio State on Senior Day. Lose and we end in a tie for 1st place with Ohio State. Win and we get the title outright.

Breuer did not start. Dutcher instead started Andy Thompson, who ended up playing a total of 3 minutes that game: The first 2 and the last 1.

Sorry. Not starting Mo was dickish.

You know, I keep hearing "The tradition that is Golden Gopher basketball!" used as a tagline. What exactly does the program mean by that? Give me one worthwhile "tradition" that's actually a "tradition". Oh, here's one: Starting the effing seniors on Senior Day.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have all the seniors in the starting lineup on Senior Day, and I would do so if I was coach. I just don't think it's a required thing by any means.

Bring on Baseball!

It all started with the hand check rule. Nobody wants to see amateurs try and play an NBA game. Stop trying to make them. College Basketball is appealing because it's different.

Except that he isn't our top prospect. Nice try.

Ok, he's our SECOND BEST prospect. I see what you're trying to do, but I see Johnson having huge expectations because of his initial top-level national ranking and local ties. One could argue that he's the top prospect. But one could argue he's not too. Regardless, expectations need to be tempered for next season when it comes to Johnson. He doesn't score much at the high school level, so I don't see him coming in and ripping up the Big 10 in his first two seasons. But this is not a secret. I think everyone on here agrees that next season will be rough. I just hope Mason sticks it through. He could be special. Not NBA Special, but College Special.

Top Bottom