***OFFICIAL BETHUNE-COOKMAN SEASON OPENING IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Paul Bunyan, er, Big Jack Wilson face . . .

Last edited:

All right. Well, that second half was a bit embarrassing but they hit the 80 point mark - something they couldn't do all last season.
They hit 80 while shooting what seemed like about 20% from the field in the second half. They couldn't buy a basket. They've got many ways to score.

There were some bright spots but Ben was worried. Ola Joseph and Payne didn't play...what? the last 15 minutes?
Fox and Ihnen are the wild cards. Ihnen is our go to shut down defender.
Payne deserved to sit. He was loose with the ball and reverted to some frosh habits. Ben's just working on him. JOJ - not sure why he sat. Ihnen played well tonight as did Fox.

Payne deserved to sit. He was loose with the ball and reverted to some frosh habits. Ben's just working on him. JOJ - not sure why he sat. Ihnen played well tonight as did Fox.
Carrington had a good game, played like an experienced Sophomore in this game, same with Ola-Joseph I thought.

I agree. He wasn't being aggressive going after rebounds and kept trying to put the ball on the floor where it was getting tipped or stolen. Frustrating game for Payne.

I agree. He wasn't being aggressive going after rebounds and kept trying to put the ball on the floor where it was getting tipped or stolen. Frustrating game for Payne.
Yep. BCU has a bunch of smaller, quick guys. Payne has to learn how to deal with that and putting it on the floor isn't it. Payne needs to take the entry pass and if he isn't close enough- kick it out and reset position deeper. He'll get there.

Carrington had a good game, played like an experienced Sophomore in this game, same with Ola-Joseph I thought.
I like this team, or at least the components of it. Hawkins is solid and he is going to be a guy that will get the ball up court in a tight game and make the free throws or a dagger 3. Plenty to work with here if they jell.

We looked our over confident to start 2nd half. Tons of of forced passes nstead of taking it as it comes.

If I’m coach this is secretly my dream scenario. I tell no one. Gives you so much you can work with vs just having you’re way with them in first half.

In the nd half, Bethune played em like a hockey club. Refs let a lot of physical play go. Bothered the Gophs. They did not respond through multiple time outs. In the end they dld.

You come away with a ton of film you can use to teach And you get easy buy in, because the first half made it clear you have the ability to win by 50. What’s more, it was also possible to hold them to mid 40s. The ego can’t ignore that 2nd half punch to the grill.

Yep. BCU has a bunch of smaller, quick guys. Payne has to learn how to deal with that and putting it on the floor isn't it. Payne needs to take the entry pass and if he isn't close enough- kick it out and reset position deeper. He'll get there.
Payne is not a point forward. He is a poor outside shooter, a very poor passer and poor ball handler....why would you expect him to do good things 17 to 20 feet from the basket??

I pointed this out in one of the 30 second clips this summer. We actually practice skeleton drills where we throw it to the block and overhand hook pass it diagonally to the opposite wing for a three. It works in the drill... :) in a game there are weakside defenders hoping you throw it so they can dunk on other end. Exactly what happened. Not Payne's fault.

Embarrassing is a top 5 team losing a buy game at home. I saw that tonight.
Who would you rather be? A top 5 team losing their opener to a #100 ranked team in KenPom or a #110 ranked team struggling to put away the #350 team?

Who is going to learn more and has a greater chance to improve from the experience?

The good?

We looked genuinely more athletic than last year. Bigger. Stronger. Bouncier.

Hawkins looks like a decent big 10 guard. It’s a nice get for CBJ.

The bad?

We continue to play people out of position. Maybe it’s out of necessity because Christie’s situation but playing JOJ and Fox/Ihnen at the 3 will not go well in league play.

Who would you rather be? A top 5 team losing their opener to a #100 ranked team in KenPom or a #110 ranked team struggling to put away the #350 team?

Who is going to learn more and has a greater chance to improve from the experience?
I’d rather win. MSU will likely have a lot more good nights than the U, tonight isn’t one of them.

I'm sorry you lost money this game. Hopefully UTSA works out better for you!

I'm sorry you lost money this game. Hopefully UTSA works out better for you!
Johnny, that's nice of you. Thank you.
Two undefeated teams again for game two...not sure of any info beyond that at this point.

I’d rather win. MSU will likely have a lot more good nights than the U, tonight isn’t one of them.
I don't mind the opening Gopher opponent...closer to liking it. Didn't like playing a D3 exhibition.
Don't like that we have so many bad teams non conference.
Game one, I agree...I want to schedule that so we can't lose....Izzo, I'm sure thought he had done that.
Izzo's exhibition was Tennessee and an overtime loss and now another overtime loss. Not ideal outcomes but by the same token....his guys will be paying attention in practice.

They hit 80 while shooting what seemed like about 20% from the field in the second half. They couldn't buy a basket. They've got many ways to score.
Surprisingly it was 40.9 % in the 2nd half. I’m with you, thought it was lower. That 0-7 on 3’s was rough.
That 1st half they shot 62.5 and held BC to 17.5 (such a good first half in spite of Hawkins picking up 2 quick fouls)

Surprisingly it was 40.9 % in the 2nd half. I’m with you, thought it was lower. That 0-7 on 3’s was rough.
That 1st half they shot 62.5 and held BC to 17.5 (such a good first half in spite of Hawkins picking up 2 quick fouls)
So the question is whether the first half was legitimate or fools gold. Everything was dropping and they took advantage of decent size advantage that they won’t have very often. I would agree offense is more promising than we’ve seen in three years. Defense is still miserable, though. BC missed shots that were open.

JOJ and Payne still can't finish could be one reason.

50 minutes from JOJ, Payne and Fox and a total of 5 rebounds.
Garcia was absolutely indispensable last night. Counted on him way too much against a team such as Bethune-Cookman.
Mitchell, so far, is better than I had suspected. And proved his value when Hawkins picked up that 2nd foul with more than 15 minutes left in the 1st half.
Carrington seems to be a willing defender and isn’t afraid of contact.
Payne was disappointing.
Betts, thus far, is a non factor. Sure isn’t afraid to shoot and miss.
Fox got bullied underneath, hence Wilson seen some action. He had a couple nice slashes to the basket. Loves to look for blocks. 3 of 3, hard to complain about that.
Ihnen got quite a few minutes (23) went 3-5 with 4 rebounds. Might be better than what I was hoping for.
Need to get more of these 50-50 balls.
Lots of room for improvement, obviously.
Johnson didn’t seem afraid to pull some people out.
Thank goodness for Garcia last night.

Well, that's one reason why I don't sports bet...if the home team shoots 35 free throws, they should cover if the underdog only shoots 14.
I've never understood why people bet their hard earned money on things that they have ZERO control over. I know that these days, I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm only risking my money on stuff that I can at least have some type of slight control over.

I don't agree. Carrington had a number of mistakes that second half when BC started pressing aggressively. He became hesitant and insecure in his decision making. The one highlight was the backdoor pass he caught for a layup.

Overall this was a game where we could see the potential (1st half) and the inconsistency (2nd half). If the boys can become more consistent and focused, they can compete with most teams. If they have long droughts, like the 2nd half, they will be on the losing side more often than not.

I've never understood why people bet their hard earned money on things that they have ZERO control over. I know that these days, I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm only risking my money on stuff that I can at least have some type of slight control over.
Gambling on sports makes for a whole different watching experience, sometimes it’s fun. No matter how little or big you go, it causes a sweat.

I paid for a vacation to Myrtle Beach last year off of a Draymond Green rebound prop paired with a Ta’Lon Cooper assist prop 😂.

I don’t do it all the time, but sometimes I like the sweat.

Gambling on sports makes for a whole different watching experience, sometimes it’s fun. No matter how little or big you go, it causes a sweat.

I paid for a vacation to Myrtle Beach last year off of a Draymond Green rebound prop paired with a Ta’Lon Cooper assist prop 😂.

I don’t do it all the time, but sometimes I like the sweat.
I guess I'm just risk adverse when I have no control over what happens. There's a lot of stuff I would likely bet on if I am personally involved in it, meaning that if there is a way for me to affect the outcome, no matter how unlikely, I'm willing to bet. But if there is no possible way for me to affect the outcome, I'm out.

I don't agree. Carrington had a number of mistakes that second half when BC started pressing aggressively. He became hesitant and insecure in his decision making. The one highlight was the backdoor pass he caught for a layup.

Overall this was a game where we could see the potential (1st half) and the inconsistency (2nd half). If the boys can become more consistent and focused, they can compete with most teams. If they have long droughts, like the 2nd half, they will be on the losing side more often than not.
Yeah, the start of the 2nd half was so rough. They went over 8 minutes and had 4 points to show for it.

50 minutes from JOJ, Payne and Fox and a total of 5 rebounds.
Garcia was absolutely indispensable last night. Counted on him way too much against a team such as Bethune-Cookman.
Mitchell, so far, is better than I had suspected. And proved his value when Hawkins picked up that 2nd foul with more than 15 minutes left in the 1st half.
Carrington seems to be a willing defender and isn’t afraid of contact.
Payne was disappointing.
Betts, thus far, is a non factor. Sure isn’t afraid to shoot and miss.
Fox got bullied underneath, hence Wilson seen some action. He had a couple nice slashes to the basket. Loves to look for blocks. 3 of 3, hard to complain about that.
Ihnen got quite a few minutes (23) went 3-5 with 4 rebounds. Might be better than what I was hoping for.
Need to get more of these 50-50 balls.
Lots of room for improvement, obviously.
Johnson didn’t seem afraid to pull some people out.
Thank goodness for Garcia last night.
I'm impressed with Garcia who has a different mindset than he started last year with. He is taking charge and that's good to see.
Payne has got to have a goal of going out and getting 10 boards and let the offense come to him. Pick up the scraps, get some put backs and move the ball when it comes into his hands.
Mitchell, Carrington, Hawkins, Christie and Ihnen give us a nice group of guys that can hit shots.
I was encouraged with Ihnen's play all around. He drove to the bucket out of the half court offense for a score which has been rare for him.

There is a lot to work with here. They need to play better, much better, defensively.

I'm impressed with Garcia who has a different mindset than he started last year with. He is taking charge and that's good to see.
Payne has got to have a goal of going out and getting 10 boards and let the offense come to him. Pick up the scraps, get some put backs and move the ball when it comes into his hands.
Mitchell, Carrington, Hawkins, Christie and Ihnen give us a nice group of guys that can hit shots.
I was encouraged with Ihnen's play all around. He drove to the bucket out of the half court offense for a score which has been rare for him.

There is a lot to work with here. They need to play better, much better, defensively.

They aren't terrible. I'm revising my B10 win prediction from 4 to 7

From the box score, it looked like he did a bit of everything, maybe a poor man’s Kyle Anderson in the making? I love those players, they just wanna contribute.

Top Bottom