***OFFICIAL BETHUNE-COOKMAN SEASON OPENING IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Stan

Reaction score
Year 3 of the Ben Johnson Era is officially upon us. Expectations are low, but we are all 0-0 and it's time to turn a corner and build something. I know nothing about Bethune-Cookman other than I think they are in the Miami area and we seem to play them in early November games once every 10-12 years or so. I recall us playing them in the Clem the Gem Era or maybe I'm making things up.

Either way, let's get off to a great start. Let's pound these inferior cupcakes. None of this single digit win nonsense. Get a lead and step on their throat. That's it.

GET 'ER DONE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume Christie is out. Do we have to wait until two hours before tip-off to know about Payne?

STAN THE MAN!!

all my usual negativity aside this is a must win for BeJo's squad. A loss would be devastating.

I am planning to bet on Bethune-Cookman to cover--especially if Payne is out

I believe this is the only regular season game streaming on BTN+ this year. Monthly team pass is $9.99

11/10 vs UTSA is on peacock. 11/18 vs South Carolina upstate is also on peacock. Peacock is $5.99 for a single month.

Gophers are 5-0 all time and the Wildcats of Bethune-Cookman.

Played them in 88, 93, 96, 00 and 02.

Smallest margin of victory was 23. Largest was 44.

I remember reading a short story about Mary McLeod Bethune in elementary school. I think she founded a women’s college, which later merged with Cookman, the men’s college, to become Bethune-Cookman.

This offseason was probably the least interested I’ve been in Gopher basketball in 10+ years. It was fun to watch the highlights of the game on YouTube though, which I’ll probably have to do again for this one. The dirt cheap tickets were enticing, but if they’re more like 10 or 15 bucks after fees and I’m going alone, I’m less interested. Sounds like there’s at least a radio broadcast for this one; I don’t think we even had that for the exhibition.

I’ll definitely give the team a chance to impress me though. I really do love watching Gopher basketball when they aren’t just struggling to avoid last place.

I remember reading a short story about Mary McLeod Bethune in elementary school. I think she founded a women’s college, which later merged with Cookman, the men’s college, to become Bethune-Cookman.

This offseason was probably the least interested I’ve been in Gopher basketball in 10+ years. It was fun to watch the highlights of the game on YouTube though, which I’ll probably have to do again for this one. The dirt cheap tickets were enticing, but if they’re more like 10 or 15 bucks after fees and I’m going alone, I’m less interested. Sounds like there’s at least a radio broadcast for this one; I don’t think we even had that for the exhibition.

I’ll definitely give the team a chance to impress me though. I really do love watching Gopher basketball when they aren’t just struggling to avoid last place.

FWIW after fees lower level were $5-6. Appear to be a little more now.

In games against these lower rated opponents, I'm looking to see if we can score significantly more and have a more comfortable margin of victory than we did early last season. In our opener last season, we scored only 61 points against a bad Western Michigan team (8-23 last season) and won by one point. Western Michigan gave up an average of 74 points per game last season. We scored only 62 points with one overtime against Cal Baptist and also won that game by one point. We scored only 58 points against a bad Chicago State team (they surrendered an average of 73 points per game).

This team never hit 80 points in a game last season and only topped 70 points in 2 nonconference games (72 against both St. Francis and ARK-Pine Bluff). They did manage to top 70 points in five conference games.

I was surprised to discover that the Head Coach at B-C is Reggie Theus.

College star at UNLV.
14 yrs in the NBA.
2x NBA All-Star

as a coach, was Head Coach at New Mexico State, then jumped to NBA as Head Coach of Sacramento. lasted less than 2 yrs at Sacramento, and was assistant coach of.....the MN Timberwolves for 2 yrs under Kurt Rambis!! (a glorious era in T-Wolves history)

later coached in the D-League before returning to the college ranks as HC at Cal State-Northridge, and now at Bethune-Cookman, where he is also the AD.

College star at UNLV.
14 yrs in the NBA.
2x NBA All-Star

as a coach, was Head Coach at New Mexico State, then jumped to NBA as Head Coach of Sacramento. lasted less than 2 yrs at Sacramento, and was assistant coach of.....the MN Timberwolves for 2 yrs under Kurt Rambis!! (a glorious era in T-Wolves history)

later coached in the D-League before returning to the college ranks as HC at Cal State-Northridge, and now at Bethune-Cookman, where he is also the AD.
He is the only HC/AD in D1

College star at UNLV.
14 yrs in the NBA.
2x NBA All-Star

I became a Bulls fan (pre Jordan) with Reggie Theus, Orlando Woolridge, etc...

Dang it! Keeps missing this time. Must mean he’s not at all practicing.
Has mononucleosis changed? I had it years ago in HS and only missed 4-5 basketball practices. Seems like he has been out for 3 weeks now. Oh well.

Has mononucleosis changed? I had it years ago in HS and only missed 4-5 basketball practices. Seems like he has been out for 3 weeks now. Oh well.
He might not be very sick at this point, but mono is approached with caution during recovery. It is advised that physical activity and contact be very limited afterwards. I think it has something to do with the swelling effect that mono has on the body's internal organs.

Top Bottom