Official B10 Western Division Champs Thread - Golden Gophers

The offense did pretty well against Maryland.

Just my opinion, of course. I'd love to hear yours.

They did a nice job, for sure. I don't love the passing game, but not the time to complain. It was exciting to see Irving, Thomas and Williams all getting carries. The Cole Kramer wildcat is a nice wrinkle to have available. Not sure how much the coaches trust him yet, but from the standpoint of making things tougher for defenses, I would like to see him get the chance to throw it a little more often. Of course, that could very well be coming at some point.

You're right; when your team wins, and beats the spread by 13.5 points, it is definitely not the time to complain.

This was a 4.5 point spread game, and the Gophers won going away. They controlled the game from the start, and were never seriously threatened. This win represents exactly what we've been waiting for as Gopher fans: we must beat (handily) the teams we should beat.

If we as fans are going to whine and bitch about losing to Bowling Green (a team we should have beaten), and characterize that game as a disaster (which it was), then we had better be able to admit that trouncing Maryland and getting to 3-1 in the B1G is a corrective step in the right direction.

Remember: the Gophers control their own destiny.

Also: Bowling Green was a non-conference game. Maryland was a B1G game.

Last edited:

It very well be that the reason we went 23 straight running plays in the 2nd half is that our OL is dominant in run blocking, that eats the clock, etc. But the comment I was responding to said Tanner is now “rounding into his 2019 form.” This game was great, but it doesn’t remind me of Tanner slinging the ball around in 2019. Not in the slightest. That’s all. Tanner was a frequently-employed passer in a very balanced offense in 2019; he isn’t in 2021. We have a very good offense this year. Fun to watch. My point was simply that Tanner isn’t “rounding into 2019 form”—mostly because our offense this year has gone in a different direction than 2019.
The comment you were responding to said “if Tanner is rounding into form” and then you missed a lot after that.

It would be really nice to get Jackson back. I think he's sneaky-good.

I can't tell what's going on with Dylan Wright. On the early long throw to him, the one where defensive pass interference was called, it looked like he completely misjudged the ball. He stopped running downfield and broke toward the near sideline, as if he thought the pass was going to be under thrown, and it sailed over his head. It looked as though, had he kept running downfield, he might have had a chance for a catch.

The play starts at about 1:07 in this video. Side note: Tanner releases the pass from his own 44 yard line, and the ball hits the ground at the Maryland two yard line. That's 54 yards in the air.

I couldn't tell if it was a tight spiral though! That's very important!

You're right; when your team wins, and beats the spread by 13.5 points, it is definitely not the time to complain.

This was a 4.5 point spread game, and the Gophers won going away. They controlled the game from the start, and were never seriously threatened. This win represents exactly what we've been waiting for as Gopher fans: we must beat (handily) the teams we should beat.

If we as fans are going to whine and bitch about losing to Bowling Green (a team we should have beaten), and characterize that game as a disaster (which it was), then we had better be able to admit that trouncing Maryland and getting to 3-1 in the B1G is a corrective step in the right direction.

Remember: the Gophers control their own destiny.

Also: Bowling Green was a non-conference game. Maryland was a B1G game.
It's time to jump on the Imthewalrus train and acknowledge that it's about BigTen wins!!!

Bowl eligible with a BigTen win on Saturday!

I've been with you all along.

Beating Iowa and Wisconsin was "The Mission" from day one for Fleck. This is a golden opportunity to seize the prize.

Take care of business against Illinois, and then... buckle up, here we go.

Last edited:

I've been with you all along.

Beating Iowa and Wisconsin was "The Mission" from day one for Fleck. This is a golden opportunity.

Take care of business against Illinois, and then... buckle up, here we go.
Mentally they need to stop making such a big deal about it and just go out there and play their game.
Run the ball. Beat up the other team. Stop the run.
Win the game.

Yes u have👍txs!

We’ve got ‘‘em right where we want them- let’s hang a 40 spot on fatboy next week and see what the frickin card says about that!

Last edited:

I've been watching this thread all along too. There is such an amazing possibility for this to come through. I honestly feel it is more of a possibility than '19. Could falter too, but I think when it's nut crunching time, the Gophs own the West at the end of the year.
For whatever reason I felt more confident on 2019.

In '19 I was supremely confident too, but I think this team is more mentally mature and can handle the moment. I don't know why I think that, I just do. Just feeling it.
Most teams in my experience, need to get to a certain level before they take the next step - I throw out 2020 and 2019 IMO prepared is for this November. These guys know they can do it and ever week they impress me more.

I knew we were gonna beat Nebby; it’s the way we beat them that proved to me that we’re gonna win out/win the west and get to the next level. It’s hard to fathom when u think about on all the crapola, but this is different, amazing and surreal all at once🥳

Most teams in my experience, need to get to a certain level before they take the next step - I throw out 2020 and 2019 IMO prepared is for this November. These guys know they can do it and ever week they impress me more.

I knew we were gonna beat Nebby; it’s the way we beat them that proved to me that we’re gonna win out/win the west and get to the next level. It’s hard to fathom when u think about on all the crapola, but this is different, amazing and surreal all at once🥳
We got Mojo! I agree. I think this is the breakout year.

I know there is a psychological component to getting over the hump vs Iowa and Wisconsin, but from a talent perspective, this team is good enough to face either one and get through a first quarter without facing a huge deficit.

In 2019 Iowa jumped on us. I don't see them wanting to try, or being able to put Petras in that situation against us. At the end of the first quarter with them, we should be in a close game provided we don't turnover the ball, and that's not something we typically do.

Iowa's defensive line is younger (and excellent) but they are smaller as well. I'll be curious to see if they can stop the run vs Wisconsin this weekend.

Wisconsin vs Minnesota. Minnesota SHOULD have won it last year, but didn't. This year we just seem like the better team offensively. Far less mistakes and running game is probably similar at this point. Their defense is excellent, but the fact we can pass and run the ball as well as any team they probably faced is probably a good sign for us. If there was a year we should beat Wisconsin soundly, it would be this year with a 34-16 type game similar to what we just had against Maryland. I think Bucky will try to run, run, run, but I think we have the d-line depth to stop it now.
2 years ago, Wisc. killed us with the screen pass. We were, I think, stacking up in the d-line to defend the run and they set it up beautifully. We bit on it hook-line-and sinker and they hit an outside screen time and time again if memory serves. We had better be prepared for it.

If the gophers beat Iowa and wisconsin….
Does the Indiana game even matter? Serious question.

I think it doesn’t. Still would like to win obviously

If the gophers beat Iowa and wisconsin….
Does the Indiana game even matter? Serious question.

I think it doesn’t. Still would like to win obviously
We still control our destiny. All games, whether on against West division opponents or East, as in Indiana. Count in the standings.

I was presumptively mocking myself, before others did.

We still control our destiny. All games, whether on against West division opponents or East, as in Indiana. Count in the standings.

I was presumptively mocking myself, before others did.
Yes. But if Minnesota beats IA and WI but loses to IN

who wins the west. I believe MN does regardless of the results of IN game

Because some combo of Purdue, MN, IA, WI all finish with 3 conference losses but MN wins any tie break

EDIT:
It is true as long as Ohio state beats Purdue

Yes. But if Minnesota beats IA and WI but loses to IN

who wins the west. I believe MN does regardless of the results of IN game

Because some combo of Purdue, MN, IA, WI all finish with 3 conference losses but MN wins any tie break

EDIT:
It is true as long as Ohio state beats Purdue
Txs for clarifying 😀

If MN beats WI and IA loses 1 more and it’s a 3 way tie, Wisconsin will go based on best division record at 5-1. Need NE and Illinois to play big the next couple weeks.

If MN beats WI and IA loses 1 more and it’s a 3 way tie, Wisconsin will go based on best division record at 5-1. Need NE and Illinois to play big the next couple weeks.
However,
If it is a 4 way tie Minnesota wins that tiebreaker, because first tie break is win against common opponents in the tie:
4 way tie would be:
Purdue 1-2
Iowa 1-2
Wisconsin 2-1
Minnesota 2-1

So first tiebreak eliminates Purdue and Iowa.
Then go back to the top. Minnesota beat wisconsin head to head.

need Minnesota to win 2
Actually need wisconsin to beat Nebraska
Need Iowa to lose 1
Need Purdue to win 2

Top Bottom