Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Signing Day Thread

Mark Crawford and Melle Kreuder look like twenty something ringers on a HS team, LOL!

Who will be the first domestic signee today?

I watched Johnathan Mann last night play in Basketball, not a good player but he is huge! At least 6'4" and 210, build like a beast.

I'm counting three Minnesotans in this year's scholarship class.

To want the Gophers roster to include Minnesotans is not provincial. This is Minnesota's team.

To want the Gophers roster to include Minnesotans is not provincial. This is Minnesota's team.

All things being equal, I'd prefer more Minnesotans. But I think that is the definition of provincial.

All things being equal, I'd prefer more Minnesotans. But I think that is the definition of provincial.

I don't think so. Provincial would be wanting the Vikings to include Minnesota players. :D Expecting the Gophers to recruit better in their home territory is common sense.

If PJ Fleck had been the Gophers coach a few years ago, would we have Carter Coughlin, Thomas Barber, Tyler Johnson, Kamal Martin, and Blaise Andries on this year's roster? I have my doubts.

If the staff recruits the top Minnesota guys but they elect to go elsewhere there isn't anything more the staff can do about it. You are not going to recruit low level Minnesota kids if there is a better option from somewhere else.

In the end, would love a roster full of Minnesota kids but above that I want to see the best possible players on the field, regardless of where they come from.

If the staff recruits the top Minnesota guys but they elect to go elsewhere there isn't anything more the staff can do about it. You are not going to recruit low level Minnesota kids if there is a better option from somewhere else.

In the end, would love a roster full of Minnesota kids but above that I want to see the best possible players on the field, regardless of where they come from.

Yeah there's only so much time in the day, and these coach's are workaholics as it is.

You put the energy into who you think you can get.

Yeah there's only so much time in the day, and these coach's are workaholics as it is.

You put the energy into who you think you can get.

As fans we all wish local kids grew up dreaming of playing for the Gophers but we have not had the sustained levels of success to really build that kind of following.

You go hard after the kids in your own backyard if you think they are good enough but as we have all seen players are going to make their own decisions and may choose to go elsewhere. As you said, there is only so much time and effort you can spend on a kid.

Sure, but they're not equal. We have far fewer 3* and higher players in-state and a good number of those players want to parlay their skills into an opportunity to get out of the state and see if the grass is greener somewhere else. That won't change until Minnesota is a consistent winner.

As fans we all wish local kids grew up dreaming of playing for the Gophers but we have not had the sustained levels of success to really build that kind of following.

You go hard after the kids in your own backyard if you think they are good enough but as we have all seen players are going to make their own decisions and may choose to go elsewhere. As you said, there is only so much time and effort you can spend on a kid.

Everyone proposing we should try to get, or didn't try hard enough to get, should have to pick someone they want us to try less on ;)

I don't care where a kid comes from

We're not going to get every MN kid P5 worthy, but locking down borders is nice when we can.

I don't think so. Provincial would be wanting the Vikings to include Minnesota players. :D Expecting the Gophers to recruit better in their home territory is common sense.

If PJ Fleck had been the Gophers coach a few years ago, would we have Carter Coughlin, Thomas Barber, Tyler Johnson, Kamal Martin, and Blaise Andries on this year's roster? I have my doubts.
That’s a pretty impossible question to ask. What player did we not grab so far from Minnesota that is really bothering you? If you’re mad we didn’t land Kaden Johnson, he never really gave us much of a look, from what it looks like. He was offered. He didn’t wanna be here.

it might be interesting to compare results in 4-5 years of Kaden Johnson against our Wisconsin signee Lucas Finnessy. They appear to be similar sizes. Kaden is considered very athletic and yet Finnessy is quick enough to play DB despite LB size. Finnessy was low profile on the recruiting trail - committed last April. Any expert talent evaluators do a side by side on these two?

Top Bottom