Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I wonder if anyone is still holding onto the belief that Fleck is no better a recruiter than Claeys. Some were still around less than a week ago.

Well I am, just because I judge recruiting classes by performance at the collegiate level. It's still a lot of composite 3 stars. #11 in the big ten with a bullet according to 247 sports.

An update as to our scholarship grid:

QB- 6. Rhoda, Croft, Green, Williams, Morgan, McLaurin

RB-6. McCrary, Smith, Brooks, Femi-Cole, London, Ibrahim.

WR- 11. Carter, Holland, Gentry, Still, Register (may be a S as we've discussed), Johnson, Howard, Drew, Bell, DD, van Dyne.

TE- 8. Woz, Lingen, Beebe, Witham, Kieft, Paulson, Umlor, Bursch.

OT- 5. Greene, Oseland, Connelly, Sassack, Andries.

OG- 9. Mayes, Calhoun, Wright, Weyler, Stieber, Dovich, Schlueter, Abojei, Schmitz.

OC-1. Olson.

DE- 7. Elmore, Gibson, Delat, Johnson, Devers, Otomewo, Hickox.

DT- 6. Jackson, Stelter, Richardson, Moore, Chambers, Croslen.

ILB- 4. Poock, Williams, Waters, Barber.

OLB- 6. Celestin, Huff, Coughlin, Martin, Guthrie, Jackson.

CB- 9. Shenault, Hardin, Buford, Thomas, Craighton, Durr, Creamer, Layne, Estes (assuming he changes position)

S- 6. McGhee, Ayinde, Huff, Johnson, Winfield, H-H.

K- 2. Ryerse, Carpenter

P- 1. Santoso.

LS- 1. Jordahl.

That makes 88 but does not include the purported award of a scholie to Ca$hman this summer. 25 scholarships assigned to this recruiting cycle (3 of which entered school early and may be reassigned to last years class).

Breakdown of classes for the 88:

Senior 17
Junior 16 (includes McLaurin and Carpenter)
Sophomore 20
Freshman 35 (11 redshirt, 24 true)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WR- 11. Carter, Holland, Gentry, Still, Register (may be a S as we've discussed), Johnson, Howard, Drew, Bell, DD, van Dyne.

OG- 9. Mayes, Calhoun, Wright, Weyler, Stieber, Dovich, Schlueter, Abojei, Schmitz.

OC-1. Olson.

CB- 9. Shenault, Hardin, Buford, Thomas, Craighton, Durr, Creamer, Layne, Estes (assuming he changes position)

K- 2. Ryerse, Carpenter

P- 1. Santoso.

LS- 1. Jordahl.

That makes 88 but does not include the purported award of a scholie to Ca$hman this summer. 25 scholarships assigned to this recruiting cycle (3 of which entered school early and may be reassigned to last years class).

Senior 17
Sophomore 20

I guess we'd have to wait until next week when the appeals process is complete to see how many guys are not coming back. Who knows we may lose five to nine players.

I sure hope Winfield and Green are back.

OC-1. Olson.

K- 2. Ryerse, Carpenter

P- 1. Santoso.

LS- 1. Jordahl.

Senior 17
Sophomore 20

Thanks OG!

Well I am, just because I judge recruiting classes by performance at the collegiate level. It's still a lot of composite 3 stars. #11 in the big ten with a bullet according to 247 sports.

You need to let Claeys and his staff go. I strongly supported them while they were here. Now, support our new coach and enjoy the ride. It's a lot more fun to be a fan when you simply support the coach and team, instead of getting into pissing matches about past coach vs new coach all the time.

You need to let Claeys and his staff go. I strongly supported them while they were here. Now, support our new coach and enjoy the ride. It's a lot more fun to be a fan when you simply support the coach and team, instead of getting into pissing matches about past coach vs new coach all the time.

So when folks says the recruits are out of this world good and this class is the best they've seen in years, we're not supposed to point out that's not really the case?

I want PJ to win and move the Gophs to the next level as much as anybody, but let's not lose sight of current reality. Part of that reality is this program has talent and won 9 games in 2016. He should be able to maintain that in 2017.

I wonder if anyone is still holding onto the belief that Fleck is no better a recruiter than Claeys. Some were still around less than a week ago.
Straw man argument. Yes, there were some convinced that Claeys might be a better recruiter. I think there was more resistance to the idea that Claeys was a bad recruiter. He had a damn good class in his one and only year.

Fleck seems to have been successful on the recruiting trail in a short time so far, and that's great. Probably better than Claeys. That doesn't mean Claeys was/ would've been a poor recruiter.

So when folks says the recruits are out of this world good and this class is the best they've seen in years, we're not supposed to point out that's not really the case?

I want PJ to win and move the Gophs to the next level as much as anybody, but let's not lose sight of current reality. Part of that reality is this program has talent and won 9 games in 2016. He should be able to maintain that in 2017.

I totally agree, and what I've said in a few other posts. If I didn't say it well here, oops.

I'm tired of the pro-Fleck crowd saying he shouldn't be expected to win this year while celebrating recruits at the same time, and pro-Claeys crowd saying Fleck should win 9 or 10 games or it's a step back, while not being able to simply enjoy the ride including bringing in some nice recruits.

My point - thank you to Kill, Claeys and staff for putting the program in a great position for the new staff, and now let's support the new staff as none of us can control the change anyway. It's fun to see them adding some talent to a strong base of talent that I believe is really a good group of young men. I'm just tired of the back and forth that feels like the old Mason crowd vs Brewster crowd.

Yes Fleck should be fired if he doesn't win the Nat'l Championship next year. With all the great recruits from Claeys and the returning talent only a fraudulant coach would lose a game.

Yes Fleck should be fired if he doesn't win the Nat'l Championship next year. With all the great recruits from Claeys and the returning talent only a fraudulant coach would lose a game.

Elite talent is returning anything less than 15-0 two years from now is a disappointment

-PMWinSTP

Elite talent is returning anything less than 15-0 two years from now is a disappointment

-PMWinSTP

A chance to run the table in the B1G season in 2019? Absolutely. Lose the Championship game and then on to the Rose Bowl, I hope. I think most in the hire PJ crowd would agree with me.

Straw man argument. Yes, there were some convinced that Claeys might be a better recruiter. I think there was more resistance to the idea that Claeys was a bad recruiter. He had a damn good class in his one and only year.

Fleck seems to have been successful on the recruiting trail in a short time so far, and that's great. Probably better than Claeys. That doesn't mean Claeys was/ would've been a poor recruiter.

What damn good class? You have a good class when you are in the top 3 of the Big Ten.

It's not a straw man argument, people actually argued this point with me. Fleck recruited well at WMU as well. Claeys did poorly recruiting in his short time here. Claeys' "damn good class" was not even middle of the conference in ranking. And that was mostly Kill's class and can be attributed to one of the strongest in state classes in recent history. We had like the 70th ranked class this year until Fleck took over. But anyhow, I'm starting to derail this thread. My apologies.

Some interesting data. Gathered from 247, Wikipedia, theredzone.org. Feel free to add/correct anything.

Year -- Natl, CNF, AVG -- Attend, Rec, Following draft
_______________Gary Darnell - 46–46 (35–29)
1997-2001 === no 247 recruiting data.
2002 --- 78, 1, .7696 --- ??????, 4-8, 0
2003 -- 104, 7, .7685 --- ??????, 5-7, 1
2004 --- 89, 3, .7711 --- ??????, 1-10, 0
_______________Bill Cubit - 51–46 (36–27)
2005 --- 88, 3, .7684 --- 18,906, 7-4, 2
2006 --- 91, 8, .7705 --- ??????, 8-5, 0
2007 -- 100, 6, .7591 --- ??????, 5-7, 0
2008 --- 96, 4, .7799 --- ??????, 9-4, 2
2009 --- 94, 5, .7803 --- ??????, 5-7, 0
2010 --- 96, 4, .7944 --- ??????, 6-6, 0
2011 --- 82, 2, .7656 --- 20,330, 7-6, 2
2012 --- 95, 5, .7570 --- 14,678, 4-8, 0
_______________P.J. Fleck - 30–22 (21–11)
2013 -- 112, 7,.7703 --- 17,347, 1-11, 0
2014 --- 71, 1, .7990 --- 15,625, 8-5, 0
2015 --- 76, 1, .8040 --- 19,441, 8-5, 2
2016 --- 71, 1, .8154 --- 23,838, 13-1, 2?
Fleck's 2017 WMU class was likely going to surpass his 2016.

_______________Glen Mason - 64-57 (32-48)
1996-2001 === no 247 recruiting data.
2002 --- 74, 13, .7725 -- 41,785, 8-5, 1
2003 --- 45, 9, .8013 --- 44,148, 10-3, 1
2004 --- 56, 11, .7824 -- 47,573, 7-5, 1
2005 --- 55, 11, .7922 -- 49,024, 7-5, 4
2006 --- 62, 12, .7874 -- 52,206, 6-7, 1
_______________Tim Brewster - 15-30 (6-21)
2007 --- 54, 11, .8086 -- 51,791, 1-11, 1
2008 --- 26, 5, .8431 --- 48,958, 7-6, 0
2009 --- 39, 8, .8391 --- 50,805, 6-7, 2
2010 --- 60, 11, .8137 -- 49,513, 3-9, 0
_______________Jerry Kill - 29-29 (14-21)
2011 --- 55, 11, .8102 -- 47,714, 3-9, 0
2012 --- 59, 12, .8120 -- 46,637, 6-7, 0
2013 --- 66, 14, .8246 -- 47,797, 8-5, 2
2014 --- 57, 11, .8229 -- 47,865, 8-5, 4
2015 --- 63, 13, .8294 -- 52,366, 6-7, 2
_______________Tracy Claeys - 11-8 (6-8)
2016 --- 46, 8, .8417 --- 43,814, 9-4, 2?
_______________P.J. Fleck - ?-? (?-?)
2017 --- 47, 11, .8365 -- ??????, ???, ?

*Oddly enough, 247 keeps the current 14 teams in past B10 recruiting rankings.
**Iowa has no data for 2002. In fact they're not even listed in the B10 for that year.

"Terrible recruiter" Tracy Claeys put together a better class than Kill ever did, and better than the abbreviated mostly Fleck class this year. Interesting.

"Terrible recruiter" Tracy Claeys put together a better class than Kill ever did, and better than the abbreviated mostly Fleck class this year. Interesting.

I think what people are going to argue with that is, look at the in state crop that year (very abnormally good year) and use the logic they were coming no matter what. If you remove them, not a ton that tips the scales for Tracy. Not saying it's right or wrong. I'll take PJ over Tracy in recruiting any day. Now we'll see about the assistants BC they do a ton of the initial groundwork and we had some pretty good ones IMO previously. That's my personal feeling why just comparing head coaches in recruiting is silly

Soft commit OLB Bryson Jackson is at Baylor U this weekend with an offer. However, BU has six OLBs listed on their scholarship grid and one commit. He will be the eigth OLB. If he decides it is more important to be closer to home, he is a goner. He may have a better chance of seeing playing time quicker with the Gophers with five OLBs (Guthrie enrolled early).

I sure hope CB Trey Creamer is back in the fold again now that he has cancelled his Iowa visit. We may be decimated at CB after the suspension/expulsion appeals this coming week.

Soft commit CB Raheem Layne has a visit with Wake Forest this weekend, and a Virginia Tech offer on Jan. 18.

That is why the coaching staff never stop recruiting while the scholarship grid is at 88. The potential of losing 5-9 guys on suspension plus Bryson and Layne and suddenly you have that many bodies to fill before NSD which doesn't leave PJ FLeck very much time.

So, maybe Boye Mafe is one of the players that are waiting for a roster opening. I am hoping tOSU doesn't offer Thayer Munford yesterday and he decides to play for Ed Warriner. However, he is warming up to UK in Lexington which is 4-1/2 hours from Massilon OH. I think he wants to play closer to home. Potentially, there may be a few pleasant surprises even after NSD.

Boy, this is going to be the most exciting ten days I have ever seen in Gophers Football Recruiting.

As someone previously mentioned, if we lose three CB to expulsions/suspensions we will be down to three freshmen roster players. This will be suddenly huge position of need. Am I hearing this correctly - Demetrius Douglas may mover over to CB and Hunter Register may move over to S?

As someone previously mentioned, if we lose three CB to expulsions/suspensions we will be down to three freshmen roster players. This will be suddenly huge position of need. Am I hearing this correctly - Demetrius Douglas and Hunter Register may move over to CB?

I do remember after the season Register tweeted out he was switching to DB. I'd assume he'd play more of a safety roll with his height?

It's not a straw man argument, people actually argued this point with me. Fleck recruited well at WMU as well. Claeys did poorly recruiting in his short time here. Claeys' "damn good class" was not even middle of the conference in ranking. And that was mostly Kill's class and can be attributed to one of the strongest in state classes in recent history. We had like the 70th ranked class this year until Fleck took over. But anyhow, I'm starting to derail this thread. My apologies.

Th 2016 class was very, very strong, regardless of where it was ranked. Tracy Claeys did a nice job with that class, and we have no idea where this class would have ended up. I don't care where it was ranked when he was fired, there was a lot of time left. It's ridiculous how people were so upset with where it was at - there are a lot of very good programs still with small classes.

Despite that, now we support Fleck. Quit the stupid arguing about coaches, and just acknowledge that Kill/Claeys left a lot of talent here, with kids who went to class and worked hard - despite the incident. Now, I hope Fleck does an awesome job, and will cheer him on.

I think he has Mike Sherels and one of the best MN classes ever to thank for that. Half the class was in place before he became the HC. Don't act like Claeys pulled off some recruiting coup last year.

I sure hope CB Trey Creamer is back in the fold again now that he has cancelled his Iowa visit. We may be decimated at CB after the suspension/expulsion appeals this coming week.

It was widely reported yesterday that Creamer is on the Iowa campus this weekend. Don't know if he will flip to Iowa but I certainly wouldn't consider him to be "back in the fold"

It was widely reported yesterday that Creamer is on the Iowa campus this weekend. Don't know if he will flip to Iowa but I certainly wouldn't consider him to be "back in the fold"

Widely reported where? I think he cancelled it.

Also interesting that we're trying to hold on to some of the commits of the previous regime as other P5 schools pursue them. According to some posters on here the previous staff didn't recruit kids that other P5 schools wanted.

You just don't get it. Your posts make me laugh because of you're not getting it. Keep pushing your argument though, some day you'll get more than 2 or 3 people to agree with you. Lol.

I will say this has been the most fun lead up to NSD since Brew's top 25 days. Let's just hope this class is actually worth the all the buzz.

Half the class was in place before he became the HC. Don't act like Claeys pulled off some recruiting coup last year.

But that fits his argument so well! Please, let him live in that world, he likes it. Plus, it's entertaining. There will be plenty of power 5 schools that will be snatching up Claeys and his recruiting abilities, right dpodoll68?

Top Bottom