Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

D.Wilson
D. Campbell
B. Boddy-Calhoun
M. Thomas
I. Fruechte
C. Poock

Where would the team have been without these guys? All valuable cogs in the machine. JUCO discrimination must end.

Nothing wrong with JUCO's, they shouldn't be the backbone of your recruiting, but MN isn't in a place where we can overlook sources of talent.

D.Wilson
D. Campbell
B. Boddy-Calhoun
M. Thomas
I. Fruechte
C. Poock

Where would the team have been without these guys? All valuable cogs in the machine. JUCO discrimination must end.

JuCos are also a way of balancing classes due to attrition. Besides the obvious, you want to bring in as much talent as you can. You also want to have some balance between your classes. You do not want a class of 33 followed by a class of 17. That's not good for a program.

This phase of recruiting and program building, our staff seems to really get.

Now that we have two homers committing, does anyone know anything about:

JJ Drew OL 6 6 290 Eden Prairie
Nash Jensen OL 6 5 320 Osseo
Nico Bolden DB 6 4 190 Woodbury

They haven't receive MN offers yet.

Bolden is the only guy on that list who I could see getting a Gopher offer.

And of the few Juco's they have brought in, most have had very good careers.

Agreed, nothing wrong with JUCO's a couple JUCO recruits are about to get drafted and one got drafted last year, there just not the backbone of our recruiting, not even close. They serve and purpose and for the most part since Kill/ Claeys and co got here, they've served it well

Bolden is the only guy on that list who I could see getting a Gopher offer.

Agreed, Bolden will get an offer.

JJ Drew is interesting. I think he has a chance to get an offer. He has good size. He played TE for Eden Prairie last year (he was really a 6th lineman), but he moves ok. He reminds me of a late bloomer, I would not be completely surprised to see him really come on and get a few more FBS offers (including a Gopher offer).

If a coaching staff has difficulty recruiting and then developing quality high school recruits JCOS are the only option.
I just do not think it is the better option.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

If a coaching staff has difficulty recruiting and then developing quality high school recruits JCOS are the only option.
I just do not think it is the better option.

I duno, you see the big programs picking up JUCOs too... it can't be that bad.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Rochester Post Bulletin: Rochester lineman will play for Gophers

Rochester's Ryan Just, an offensive lineman, has given a verbal commitment to the University of Minnesota to join the Gophers football team for the 2016 fall season.

Just is a John Marshall grad who played three varsity seasons with the Rockets. He was All-Big Nine one season and an honorable mention pick another. He played the last two seasons as a starter on the offensive line for Rochester Community and Technical College. He helped RCTC win two state championships and earn a berth in the NJCAA national championship game last fall.

"It's always been a goal of mine to play at the D-I level," Just said. "I'm happy to have a home with the Gophers."

Just is 6-foot-4 and 295 pounds. He will go to Minnesota as a preferred walk-on. He will be a member of the team but will not be on scholarship his first season with the Gophers. He enters as a junior and has two years of eligibility remaining.

"I'm very happy and excited," Just said.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_20bced39-2041-539a-82f6-043eb5bbe133.html

Go Gophers!!

I hope he can contribute as much as a season ticket holder does.

Eric Wilson commits to Harvard

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Then why did Kare 11 report this yesterday? I must have heard it wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow, didn't even know that this guy played football. He's a semi-prominent basketball prospect that supposedly had an offer from Iowa State before Hoiberg left for the Bulls job. He might have to decide on a sport before he's even ready to pick of school.

There's another more prominent WR at that same school that already has a handful of MAC offers, but had never heard of any football interest in this kid.

Edit: Lane does not even have a football profile on Rivals that I can find. He does have one for basketball, though.

Another state of Iowa recruiting note, Levi Duwa is a DE from near Iowa City who Minnesota had offered back in February, I think. He was offered by Iowa yesterday at their spring game and reportedly accepted this morning, so he's off the Gopher board.

It's an incredible year for talent in Iowa this year. There are already 12 in-state players with Power 5 commitments (Iowa-6, Iowa State-4, one each for Miami(Fla.) and Michigan State), plus another kid that has committed to a MAC school, and the spring evaluation period has barely even started.

His Twitter says he did:

Go Gophers!!
Wow, that's surprising. Great school though, I can't really blame him.

And so far, the Gophers offers on 247 sports and Scout looked pretty anemic compared to the previous year.

Let's hope we can snare a highly prized recruit or two from out of state whose commitment will stick unlike one Dedrick Snelson from the 2016 Class.

Maybe it is too early. The Spring evaluations are just starting. I am anxious to see how Jay Johnson and Tracey Claeys will fare with their first recruiting class.

His Twitter says he did:

Go Gophers!!

Side note: The resemblance to Matt Birk is eerie.

7_4321096.jpeg

Top Bottom