Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Durkin will be on the hot seat just like Claeys if they don't produce in three years or less. They have to fight for recruits and their coaching lifes. Some just choose to play dirty. What goes around comes around.

Negative recruiting against MN has gone on for a long time, and it won't stop.

Blame it partially on those d@mn 29 below zero battery commercials up in International Falls. Never mind that Madison and Lincoln can be just as cold and windy.

How many Florida or Alabama kids really know how truly beautiful the Twin Cities metro area is when it is implanted in their heads by recruiters that MN is a vast cold tundra wasteland?

We'd have to entice the prospect and their families (Vincent Calhoun - remember how surprise his family was about how truly beautiful and green the area is) to come up here for a visit when the weather is nice. Then, we have a fighting chance to get southern recruits.

An early signing period will help some. Teaching them about how to use the sauna, deer hunting, canoeing/camping, and walleye fishing may help too.

Are they at Maryland this weekend? Because school doesn't start up again till the 26th. The place will be empty except for the basketball teams and cheerleaders and other irrelevant sport people. The surrounding area is a freaking cesspool of Northern D.C. I'm highly inclined to believe they won't be all that impressed.

Here's hoping it's cold as Maryland's building are quite far apart and no tunnels or skyways.

Hmm, sound a lot like the U campus, insert N/S Minneapolis for Northern DC.

BTW, Kasl is not a big loss. There are better OL in the area available.

Blame it partially on those d@mn 29 below zero battery commercials up in International Falls. Never mind that Madison and Lincoln can be just as cold and windy.

Do you think recruiters are showing them the commercial below as an example, or do you think the recruits remember a commercial from the mid 1970's?

With the Battle decommit, how many slots do they now have to fill? Anyone?

With the Battle decommit, how many slots do they now have to fill? Anyone?

They'll sign 28, so 8 as of now. Could have 0-4 decommits in the next few weeks with Snelson, Twins, and Durr still taking visits.

Kicker/Punter from Tennessee

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I assume this guy thinks The U is Miami and not us!

Go Gophers!!

Does anybody else think that Tyler Johnson will be a better fill in for KJ than Snelson would be?
From everything i've seen or heard is that he's a stud with the ball in his hands.

Does anybody else think that Tyler Johnson will be a better fill in for KJ than Snelson would be?
From everything i've seen or heard is that he's a stud with the ball in his hands.

Yup. It may be a good fit, athletic, sure hands, and someone who wants to be here.

I think as far as being our best Wide receiver prospect yes, but even if he does play wide receiver, which I think he should, he will play on the outside most likely. Kj worked most of the time in the slot and that's where snelson is supposed to fit best at if he doesn't decomit here soon with the Daniel twins decomiting.

I assume this guy thinks The U is Miami and not us!

Go Gophers!!

I read it as asking Miami to go after Snelson! Snelson is vulnerable to flipping because one of his intial reasons for picking MN, was to be with his friends, the Daniels. that's not happening. I trust the coaches are currently showing Snelson a lot of love.

It would be interesting to see a list of commits before the Kill retirement/TC HC announcement and now. We'll never know how many would have decommited even if Kill had continued coaching but it seems like a lot of deck chairs have been rearranged since his fateful announcement.

Durkin will be on the hot seat just like Claeys if they don't produce in three years or less. They have to fight for recruits and their coaching lifes. Some just choose to play dirty. What goes around comes around.

Negative recruiting against MN has gone on for a long time, and it won't stop.

How many Florida or Alabama kids really know how truly beautiful the Twin Cities metro area is when it is implanted in their heads by recruiters that MN is a vast cold tundra wasteland?

We'd have to entice the prospect and their families (Vincent Calhoun - remember how surprise his family was about how truly beautiful and green the area is) to come up here for a visit when the weather is nice. Then, we have a fighting chance to get southern recruits.

An early signing period will help some. Teaching them about how to use the sauna, deer hunting, canoeing/camping, and walleye fishing may help too.

As I sit here watching the ESPN NFL coverage showing TCF Stadium and the thermometer at 10 below, I wonder how many potential recruits from the South are saying to themselves "Do I wanna live in that cold for the next 4 years?!" (yes, it's only cold for about 3 months, but the perception of this frigid wasteland has to affect one's thinking).

As I sit here watching the ESPN NFL coverage showing TCF Stadium and the thermometer at 10 below, I wonder how many potential recruits from the South are saying to themselves "Do I wanna live in that cold for the next 4 years?!" (yes, it's only cold for about 3 months, but the perception of this frigid wasteland has to affect one's thinking).

That's the Minnesota Football Fanatic's true hypocrisy.

"Seahawks! You're gonna come here and freeze! You won't know the true meaning of the word cold until you've played in Minnesota!" Now for Free Agents and Gopher Recruits that goes too:

"What do you mean 'frozen tundra'? It ain't colder here then Madison, Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit etc. It's all because of the damn "Bud Grant shots" from the 70's!"

So 10 spots to fill? How about these 10?

DT Amir Watts
OL Lloyd Cusenberry
TE Chase Allen
OL Trystan Castillo
RB Arkeem Byrd
RB Kobe McCrary
LB Chase Pine
QB Keon Howard
DE Rhasaun Epting
CB Tyrez Lindsey

I could live with that.

I like that Claeys says, "if you're going to visit another school this late in the process and appear to be interested, we're not holding a spot for you and moving on." Either you want to be here or you don't. Ala the Daniels twins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DT Amir Watts
OL Lloyd Cusenberry
TE Chase Allen
OL Trystan Castillo
RB Arkeem Byrd
RB Kobe McCrary
LB Chase Pine
QB Keon Howard
DE Rhasaun Epting
CB Tyrez Lindsey

I could live with that.

+1000

I don't like our chances with Chase Allen, Lloyd Cusenberry, Arkeem Byrd, and Amir Watts.

With the rumors of academic issues I've all but written Snelson off for awhile now. Seems like where there's smoke there is fire, more often than not. The team will be fine, missing on a handful of players isnt a catastrophe. Maybe Tyler willl be the difference maker at receiver. I've loved the little we've seen of Eric Carter and Gentry. The former appears to have the best hands on the team and the latter has the size and speed of a big time deep threat. Woli will be on a mission after having some drops. Holland Jr is an intriguing player.

I am more concerned with Durr, and keeping the other CB commits. Good looking players that we need.

As with David Cobb, it takes a good two years of development given that a player bought into the hard work ethic plus a burning desire before we see them have breakout years.

I expect other players will step up and take the opportunity of KJ Maye graduating. It was an injury to Donnell Kirkwood that gave Cobb his golden opportunity, and he never looked back.

+1000

I don't like our chances with Chase Allen, Lloyd Cusenberry, Arkeem Byrd, and Amir Watts.
Yeah, those 4 would be the most on the fence. Allen has some better offers but does have some ties to the coaching staff. The odds for Cushenberry go up if Coney Durr sticks to his commitment. Byrd is getting a lot of late interest from some good schools closer to home. I still think they have a shot at Watts, he lists his other top choices as Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa State, Pittsburgh and Nebraska, we should be able compete with them for him.

DT Amir Watts
OL Lloyd Cusenberry
TE Chase Allen
OL Trystan Castillo
RB Arkeem Byrd
RB Kobe McCrary
LB Chase Pine
QB Keon Howard
DE Rhasaun Epting
CB Tyrez Lindsey

I could live with that.

That would be gold. Hoping for another DB tho.

DT Amir Watts
OL Lloyd Cusenberry
TE Chase Allen
OL Trystan Castillo
RB Arkeem Byrd
RB Kobe McCrary
LB Chase Pine
QB Keon Howard
DE Rhasaun Epting
CB Tyrez Lindsey

I could live with that.

It will probably be closer to this:

QB: Keon Howard or DeMarcus Williams
RB: Kobe McCrary - we only add a high school back if it's Byrd or JaQua Daniels
WR - done. Snelson was never really needed, just more of a luxury. Howard, Hmielewski, and Tyler Johnson will make up a great WR recruiting class.
TE - done unless Chase Allen wants to commit
OL - Kasl and Castillo
DE - Epting and 1 more, probably a new name
DT - 50/50 on Watts and 1 more new name
LB - done unless Chase Pine wants to commit
CB - done, possibly 1 more
S - Tyrez Lindsey

Eric Carter will be KJ's replacement next year, followed by Philip Howard. FWIW Howard is rated higher on some sites than Snelson and is probably overlooked by many since he played out of position in high school.

What about that kid from rural Minnesota with the crazy jumping ability. No one talking about him, he's my kind of guy, I'm excited for him. Starts with an h?

As with David Cobb, it takes a good two years of development given that a player bought into the hard work ethic plus a burning desire before we see them have breakout years.

I expect other players will step up and take the opportunity of KJ Maye graduating. It was an injury to Donnell Kirkwood that gave Cobb his golden opportunity, and he never looked back.

I don't know, we had two frosh RBs that looked pretty good. Some players are better equipped out of HS than others. Some will never be any good at any age. Plenty of examples on each end of the spectrum.

Top Bottom