Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Bump.

Recruiting is like shaving, if you skip a day you look like a bum. I hope the staff isn't sitting on their asses!

Doesn't Red Wing have a good junior DL prospect? I read somewhere that he did rather well against Ragnow.

If he is good, then Minnesota could have some solid DL prospects. I tend to believe the DL is the second most important factor on a team, next to qb. If we can get the kids to stay home, then we could have a really nice DL.

He visited Gophers already:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I received my first offer today! Montana State. May have to learn to ski and hunt! First one is special! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BobCatNation&src=hash">#BobCatNation</a></p>— Ryan Boyle (@Ryan_Boyle10) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ryan_Boyle10/statuses/431291689051750400">February 6, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Looking ahead to 2015, I'm interested in what local prospects and quarterbacks are on the radar, since those are almost always the first to commit. I remember looking at this before, but the # of non-QBs from outside our local recruiting area who commit before June (camps and such) is really low, both under Kill and Brewster (and presumably Mason and so on).

The reasons are pretty obvious (well, to most people, anyway). A kid in Florida or Texas is unlikely to have grown up dreaming of specifically playing for Minnesota and so will likely wait until at least the summer to make a trip on his own dime, or September to take an unofficial on ours.

The exception is quarterback, which has always traditionally been the first domino to fall in the recruiting season.

As a matter of perspective, here are our commits before June every year for the last few years:

Jeff Jones (February 2)- Minnesota
Dimonic McKinzy (April 27)-Quarterback
Steven Richardson (April 29)- Chicago- Chicago is arguably within our range. 6 hour car ride. Steven and his parents made a few visits on their own dime.

No commitments before June. Keelon Brookins did before he bolted.

Philip Nelson (Feb 19)-Minnesota and Quarterback
Maxx Williams (Feb 23)- Minnesota
Andre McDonald also committed, then uncommitted, and then committed again. Good thing that wasn't a sign of things to come...

Tommy Olson (Jan 18 of 2009)- Minnesota

Jimmy Gjere (March 5)- Minnesota
Lamonte Edwards (March 8)- Minnesota
Tom Parrish (April 4)- Wisconsin and Quarterback

And so on. So, if history is any guide, if we're going to get a 2015 commitment in the next four months it's very likely to either be a quarterback and/or a local kid.

Looking at our current offer list (which is still super selective), there are only a few prospects who fit this criteria:

-Jashon Cornell, DE, MN -- can't see this happening that early. If Jashon does end up staying home, my guess is it's going to be a long process. I'd certainly be glad to be wrong.

-Drayton Carlberg, OL, MN -- I was glad to see the staff give Drayton the early offer. He already has offers from Pitt and Rutgers and has been in contact with Nebraska and Iowa. I haven't read much on the kid yet, so I could see this going either way.

-Grant Schmidt, OL, SD -- Big fan of this kid, and I'm including Sioux Falls as local. Has offers from North Carolina and Washington State and has been in contact with Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin. My guess is that he waits a while, but I'm optimistic we can get him.

-Trevor Ruhland, OL, IL -- Trevor is from the Chicago area and camped with us last June. Has offers from Northwestern and Nebraska. I think this could move fast.

-Landan and Levi Paulsen, OL, IA -- I'm assuming they are a package deal. Came here on an unofficial in the Fall. Would be a really tough get to snag these kids out of Iowa, but certainly worth the effort.

-John Kelly, ATH, MI- Has some local ties to the area, but until he actually makes a trip out here I wouldn't consider him a likely early commit.

That's about it in terms of kids with offers. In terms of kids without offers yet I've found the following:

Ryan Schlichte, QB, MN- A quarterback from Mankato that might be a better fit for a pro-style offense? Hmm.... Ryan is on the radar and I'm a little surprised we haven't offered yet, but there are people far more in the know on MNHS football who could speak on that.

Josh Corcoran, LB, MN- Another Minnesota kid where you've got to think it's just a matter of time before he gets an offer. With his size he might project better to DE.

Andrew Ruzek, DL, WI- Andrew visited in November and is from Stevens Point. I've seen him in person a few times and the kid has a great frame to be a college DE or DT. Reminds me a lot of Andrew Stelter but a little smaller in size. I'd be surprised if we don't eventually offer.

Datrice Mulsumo, ATH, MN- Easily my favorite Minnesota name since Bridgeport Tusler. Only 5'9", so that's an obvious concern. We probably won't offer him because we never offered Bridgeport, which is terrible because I really wanted an excuse to say Bridgeport Tusler like 50 more times.

Grant Perry, WR, MI- From Brother Rice, same school as Kenny Watkins. Camped with us in June. No offers yet but likely to come. Smaller guy, which Limegrover seems to be moving away from.

Cole Chewins, TE, MI- Camped with us in July. Has an offer from Central Michigan. 6'7" and 208 lbs, which almost doesn't seem possible.

Ben Swanton, OL, WI- Another Midwestern lineman. Took an unofficial last year. Been to tons of camps so far with no offers.

Ryan Boyle, QB, IA- Iowa's player of the year in 2013 as a Junior. More of a pro-style player, but he's a talented kid.

There are a ton more Minnesota kids that have camped with us that I don't know anything about. If someone like Bob who follows MNHS football much more than I do could chip in, that'd be great.

I'm really curious what we do at QB. Only 368 days until 2015 signing day!!

Great list!

Is the 300lb DT from Owatonna (sp?) who lined up next to Stelter a D1 player?

Ryan Schlichte is the guy I'm hoping we get in the 2015 class. Obviously any good player is great, but I think we'll wallow next year with no true quarterback. We need a pocket passer and what's better than an instate kid who 247 has as the 12th best PP in the nation.

Nick Connelly is his name. My friend from Red Wing said he did well with that kid from Chanhassen ... more than held his own.
Doesn't Red Wing have a good junior DL prospect? I read somewhere that he did rather well against Ragnow.

If he is good, then Minnesota could have some solid DL prospects. I tend to believe the DL is the second most important factor on a team, next to qb. If we can get the kids to stay home, then we could have a really nice DL.

I don't know if the Gophers have him on their radar, but I was very impressed with a kid out of Hutchinson, MN, Robbie Grimsley. Anybody seen him play?

Ryan Schlichte is the guy I'm hoping we get in the 2015 class. Obviously any good player is great, but I think we'll wallow next year with no true quarterback. We need a pocket passer and what's better than an instate kid who 247 has as the 12th best PP in the nation.

Schlichte would be a good get, but I don't really like our chances considering he's from the same high school as Nelson and Schlichte seems to be even more of a pocket passer than Nelson. If we miss on a QB in this class, I won't be too worried about our depth. Seth Green should be a huge target the next year, though.

I think we'll wallow next year with no true quarterback. We need a pocket passer.
That ignores pretty much everything this offense is built around. If they wanted to run a conventional drop back offense they already had Shortell (and I guess Nelson too)

Schlichte would be a good get, but I don't really like our chances considering he's from the same high school as Nelson and Schlichte seems to be even more of a pocket passer than Nelson. If we miss on a QB in this class, I won't be too worried about our depth. Seth Green should be a huge target the next year, though.
To me it all depends on if Streveler and McKinzey are really considered QBs longterm or not. If they are, having a sophmore, a RS frosh, and a frosh is certainly enough young depth that we'd be fine without adding a QB this class.

My guess is that we recruit another ath/QB type who could move positions if necessary.

To me it all depends on if Streveler and McKinzey are really considered QBs longterm or not. If they are, having a sophmore, a RS frosh, and a frosh is certainly enough young depth that we'd be fine without adding a QB this class.

My guess is that we recruit another ath/QB type who could move positions if necessary.
Kill has said twenty times they will recruit a QB/athlete every year. This year we took 2 with McKinzy and Perra. I think Perra is good enough to play in a few years, walk-on or not.
He already knows he will be RSing.

I don't know if the Gophers have him on their radar, but I was very impressed with a kid out of Hutchinson, MN, Robbie Grimsley. Anybody seen him play?

Im from Hutchinson and from what I have heard from people that know him better is that he is on their radar as well as a few other schools. The big thing holding him back is his size.

A lot of love on here for Jashon Cornell. Here is another kid from the same conference, Jesper Horsted, keeping him should be a top priority.

wow i really like this highlight video. big body and great hands.. catches the ball over defenders and in traffic.. also looks like a descent route runner how have we not heard more about this kid

He will be the funniest player on the team if we land him. I loved him in those Austin Powers movies and Entourage.

Kill already said yesterday that the kid from Roseville wil redshirt. So look for Leidner as#1, Streveler and McKinzey as 2/3. They may take a year off from QB next year as a selling point to Green.

wow i really like this highlight video. big body and great hands.. catches the ball over defenders and in traffic.. also looks like a descent route runner how have we not heard more about this kid

I watched him play against Maple Grove in the playoff game at TCF this past fall. Stand out player. Made some really nice catches as well as blocked decently well on the outside on their run plays. Made the tough catches and just seemed to be a better athlete than anyone MG had in the defensive backfield. His name got brought up on the 2014 class board when talking bout Perra's huge game and someone said they heard he wanted to play baseball in college, obviously things can easily change for a 17 year old kid. Either way I think he's a guy we should take a closer look at. Can't teach 6'4". Has the potential to be a solid possession receiver with the size and hands plus according to scout Northwestern requested his transcript so he must be a fairly smart kid. Would be a great kid to keep in state!

Schlichte may not be the dual threat that Kill always like but i think we take him anyway with him being an in-state kid and highly regarded and all. I would rather have Seth Green as well though. We could potentially have some very very good QB options in 2016 if we got both of those 4 star QBs along with Streveler, Mckinzey, Liedner and Perra all being either 3rd, 4th or 5th year players.

People forget that Kill has won with pocket passing QBs in the past. You wouldn't have to completely overhaul the offense for a pocket passer.

someone said they heard he wanted to play baseball in college, obviously things can easily change for a 17 year old kid. Either way I think he's a guy we should take a closer look at. Can't teach 6'4". Has the potential to be a solid possession receiver with the size and hands plus according to scout Northwestern requested his transcript so he must be a fairly smart kid. Would be a great kid to keep in state!

I've heard about Jesper Horsted's interest in baseball & Northwestern. I also heard that Notre Dame unofficially met with him in person. We just signed his bestfriend so hopefully Jerry uses that in.

Always love the posts where they talk about "him" and I have no idea who they're talking about... Is it the post 2 back, 4 back or even one 2 pages back. Sorry, I got up grouchy today.

Horsted is a great athlete, good basketball player too. Unfortunately the one game I saw him play this year was against Rosemount and he didn't play his best game but I know that kid can play.

I think Grimsley was another case of catching him at the wrong time, I saw him play multiple times this year and he didn't stand out at all. Apparently he went off in the championship against Holy Angels though.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wisconsin DE Marcus Kelly => RT <a href="https://twitter.com/MKelly_85">@MKelly_85</a>: Off to Minnesota! Junior day tomorrow! <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/432262826502410240">February 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rivals250&src=hash">#Rivals250</a> South Dakota OL Grant Schmidt is on an unofficial visit to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> this weekend and will be at the Gopher bball game tonight.</p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/432278941852635136">February 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>According to <a href="https://twitter.com/adamgorney">@adamgorney</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> has offered <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rivals250&src=hash">#Rivals250</a> California WR <a href="https://twitter.com/Equanimeous">@Equanimeous</a> St. Brown.</p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/432313162956693505">February 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

Top Bottom