Norwood Teague resigns amind sexual harassment allegations

FoxSports: Norwood Teague scandal proves college sports has a long way to go

Ever since University of Minnesota athletic director Norwood Teague resigned last week amid a flurry of reports of sexual harassment and gender discrimination, two short sentences uttered by a university president have left an acrid, lingering taste in my mouth.

They’ve made me think about a lot of things: How could a university allow a man with a history of various actions against women get away with this? How could an esteemed institution of higher learning, one with an alumni base that has nine Nobel laureates and two former Vice Presidents of the United States, become a petri dish for this type of misogynistic behavior? How can big-time, big-money American sports – despite so much progress in recent decades to create a larger space for women – still breed an institutionalized culture that can lead to a powerful athletic director wielding his power in unwieldy ways.

How the hell can this happen, still, in 2015?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...es-college-sports-has-a-long-way-to-go-081315

Go Gophers!!

And here we go with the "I'm more outraged than you" grandstanding by journalists.

In no way, shape or form do I condone the actions of Mega-Tongue, and after these revelations I am happy that The 'U' has dismissed him and continue to distance themselves from him.

Now, unless someone can clearly demonstrate how the University, the Athletic Department, et al. was somehow complicit in these actions, would you please stop with your hyperbolic click-bait self-agrandazation?

I'm not sure the university culture is the one that led to this behavior.

The culture at large did. But the University of Minnesota's culture is actually what STOPPED this behavior.

The culture at large brought about this behavior. The journalistic culture allowed it to continue, and the university culture put an end to this behavior.

The journalists are biased towards themselves and against the U of M. (Shocking)

And here we go with the "I'm more outraged than you" grandstanding by journalists.

In no way, shape or form do I condone the actions of Mega-Tongue, and after these revelations I am happy that The 'U' has dismissed him and continue to distance themselves from him.

Now, unless someone can clearly demonstrate how the University, the Athletic Department, et al. was somehow complicit in these actions, would you please stop with your hyperbolic click-bait self-agrandazation?
I agree with you 100% although I don't like the term click-bait in regards to journalism. "Click-bait joirnalism" is redundant. And it is not like that is new.

Even before TV and radio journalist would publish the stories with their agenda that cater to their audience and would ignore stories they don't like. Only when the populace becomes more educated and taste change does the joirnalism industry start writing stories that reflect that.

Until it's proven otherwise, I place all the blame on Teague.

Claims and facts are not always the same.

per Tom Powers:

Kaler ultimately hired Teague. He should have stood up, taken responsibility and offered his resignation. I didn’t say flat-out quit. But he should have at least offered, thereby giving the university a chance to try to talk him out of it if it were so inclined. After all, the public face of Minnesota athletics, his guy, has brought disgrace.

Plus, I’m not sure how well Kaler has handled the aftermath, other than putting together more committees. After Teague resigned, Kaler, it seemed to me, tried to put a cork in the bottle and declare the case closed. Also, while I’m not one to criticize every little slip of the tongue, his “over-served” remark seemed flippant and an insult to those who suffered harm. He has since apologized.

Even if this falls under the category of scapegoat, which I don’t think it does, so what? It demonstrates proper contrition and reinforces the notion that the next hire will be thoroughly vetted. The university looks bad right now. And when it comes to donations, image is everything. There’s a real mess in the athletic department with the Title IX investigation, a shortfall in financing for the proposed Athletes Village and the Teague implosion.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/3818803-tom-powers-teague-gone-damage-lingers

Go Gophers!!

The real implosion is the fact that we can't raise $190 million. Other schools do it without breaking a sweat. Schools much smaller than us. Why in hell can't we get off our arses and get this thing done? There are bad actors at every level at every school. Why does each and every one completely de-rail us? At most schools bad actors are a sad side-note in their fundraising. Are we really too self important that we must amputate the legs instead of removing the wart?

per Tom Powers:

Kaler ultimately hired Teague. He should have stood up, taken responsibility and offered his resignation. I didn’t say flat-out quit. But he should have at least offered, thereby giving the university a chance to try to talk him out of it if it were so inclined. After all, the public face of Minnesota athletics, his guy, has brought disgrace.

Plus, I’m not sure how well Kaler has handled the aftermath, other than putting together more committees. After Teague resigned, Kaler, it seemed to me, tried to put a cork in the bottle and declare the case closed. Also, while I’m not one to criticize every little slip of the tongue, his “over-served” remark seemed flippant and an insult to those who suffered harm. He has since apologized.

Even if this falls under the category of scapegoat, which I don’t think it does, so what? It demonstrates proper contrition and reinforces the notion that the next hire will be thoroughly vetted. The university looks bad right now. And when it comes to donations, image is everything. There’s a real mess in the athletic department with the Title IX investigation, a shortfall in financing for the proposed Athletes Village and the Teague implosion.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/3818803-tom-powers-teague-gone-damage-lingers

Go Gophers!!

Total bunch of BS Powers. I'm sick and tired of people 'twisting words'. Overserved/drunk/buzzed/had enough......all mean the same damn thing. he was drunk and made offensive remarks. Total truth. He stated two facts. Cut the he made an excuse crap.

Did Kaler make mistakes and try to cover up? We'll find out.

It has been admitted the Title IX investigation is about track and not about gender discrimination. I'm really getting tired of this BS.

The real implosion is the fact that we can't raise $190 million. Other schools do it without breaking a sweat. Schools much smaller than us. Why in hell can't we get off our arses and get this thing done? There are bad actors at every level at every school. Why does each and every one completely de-rail us? At most schools bad actors are a sad side-note in their fundraising. Are we really too self important that we must amputate the legs instead of removing the wart?

The State Legislature and the G-Governor's Office need to step in and do something before we wake up some morning and learn that the Gophers have moved to LA. :mad:

http://www.augsburg.edu/csbr/
This fundraiser was completed this spring, one year ahead of schedule. $50 million was raised in a very short time. I am only using this as an example of a smaller scool raising money with ease. I am as frustrated as most of you are with the athletic facility situation at the U. I know it will be finished but I am having a hard time waiting.

http://www.augsburg.edu/csbr/
This fundraiser was completed this spring, one year ahead of schedule. $50 million was raised in a very short time. I am only using this as an example of a smaller scool raising money with ease. I am as frustrated as most of you are with the athletic facility situation at the U. I know it will be finished but I am having a hard time waiting.

St. Thomas raised $500 million in less than 5 years with most of it being raised during the recession. Three donors raised a combined $150 million!

One problem I see with the references to smaller schools fundraising success is you all seem to be comparing apples to oranges. The Augsburg reference was for a center for science, business and religion, the reference to Saint Thomas was for a fundraising program that was across multiple disciplines, a subset for athletics. In fairness, if those are your comparisons, I would wager the U has plenty of other fundraising activities beyond the Athletics Complex that you should include in your comparison of fundraising success.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

per the STrib:

The University of Minnesota said Monday that former athletic director Norwood Teague failed to disclose that he was facing a gender discrimination complaint at the time he was being recruited.

The school paid the Atlanta-based firm Parker Executive Search $112,539 in 2012 to find an athletic director and do background checks on leading candidates. However, that search failed to find that former Virginia Commonwealth University women’s basketball coach filed a complaint against Teague when he was the athletic director there. VCU paid Beth Cunningham $125,000 in July 2012 to settle the complaint.

The University of Minnesota said in a statement that Parker assured the school “that it had no knowledge of any illegal or inappropriate behavior concerning a candidate’s history or current employment.”

“With respect to Teague, specifically, as the committee’s recommended finalist, Parker conducted a full, thorough, and comprehensive background check that included a criminal check, references, credit check, and local and national media reviews for any potentially controversial areas of concern.”

http://www.startribune.com/norwood-...se-gender-discrimination-complaint/322094391/

Go Gophers!!

Is there potential for legal action on this?

I think the U should put Parker on their ignore list.

per the STrib:

The University of Minnesota said Monday that former athletic director Norwood Teague failed to disclose that he was facing a gender discrimination complaint at the time he was being recruited.

The school paid the Atlanta

We NEED a refund Parker, you worthless bunch of idiots. And Kaler, why did you hire these idiots?
Sid keeps raving about Kaler. What the hell has he done other than hire Tongue Teague

What the hell has he done other than hire Tongue Teague

Other than supporting a new athletics village...

During the 2012-13 academic year, and in his first biennial budget request to the Minnesota Legislature, Kaler forged a partnership with the State of Minnesota by achieving a tuition freeze for Minnesota resident undergraduates.

He also achieved $35.8 million in research investments from the state. In an initiative called MnDRIVE—the Minnesota Discovery, Research and Innovation Economy program—research emphasis matches some of the University’s research and discovery strengths with the state’s most pressing needs and key industries.

In 2010, Kaler was elected to the National Academy of Engineering, the highest honor for a leader of that discipline and profession, and based on distinguished and continuing achievements in original research. In 2012, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano named him to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council, on which he continues to serve. In 2013, he was named a Charter Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors.

No real surprise here. Norwood, you jerk. And, Kaler, just give a number instead of looking like you're minimizing it.

Kaler said in an interview with MPR News host Cathy Wurzer Wednesday that "less than five" additional complaints of sexual harassment have been reported to university officials since Teague's resignation.

Other than supporting a new athletics village...

During the 2012-13 academic year, and in his first biennial budget request to the Minnesota Legislature, Kaler forged a partnership with the State of Minnesota by achieving a tuition freeze for Minnesota resident undergraduates.

He also achieved $35.8 million in research investments from the state. In an initiative called MnDRIVE—the Minnesota Discovery, Research and Innovation Economy program—research emphasis matches some of the University’s research and discovery strengths with the state’s most pressing needs and key industries.

In 2010, Kaler was elected to the National Academy of Engineering, the highest honor for a leader of that discipline and profession, and based on distinguished and continuing achievements in original research. In 2012, Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano named him to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council, on which he continues to serve. In 2013, he was named a Charter Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors.

The Athletic Village wasn't his idea. I meant what has he done for the Gophers, not for academics

The Athletic Village wasn't his idea. I meant what has he done for the Gophers, not for academics

Huh? Wasn't his idea? Athletic Directors don't get that type of facility built because they had an idea. It gets done because it has the full, 100 percent support of the University President. How many times have people whined about the administration trying to sabotage the football program? Or neglecting athletics?

From Twin Cities Business Magazine when Teague was hired: President Eric Kaler has been similarly aggressive, and influential, in a tenure that began in June 2011. He requested a comprehensive facilities plan as one of the first orders of business for his new AD.

Huh? Wasn't his idea? Athletic Directors don't get that type of facility built because they had an idea. It gets done because it has the full, 100 percent support of the University President. How many times have people whined about the administration trying to sabotage the football program? Or neglecting athletics?

From Twin Cities Business Magazine when Teague was hired: President Eric Kaler has been similarly aggressive, and influential, in a tenure that began in June 2011. He requested a comprehensive facilities plan as one of the first orders of business for his new AD.

Also, a football coach with two years of very public health scares doesn't then get two years of raises/extensions without the support of the President.

per the Pioneer Press:

Gophers booster and former football captain Jim Carter is still waiting for University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler and members of the search committee to take blame for hiring athletics director Norwood Teague, who resigned Aug. 7 amidst a sexual harassment scandal.

Carter, a member of the Gophers' 1967 Big Ten championship team and a former Pro Bowl linebacker with the Green Bay Packers, emailed a letter Wednesday morning to seven people on the 21-member search advisory committee that Kaler put together in 2012 to help find a new AD.

He also sent the email to the four members of the search committee: Mary Jo Kane, professor, College of Education and Human Development; Tim Mulcahy, former Vice President for Research; community member John Lindahl, a Minnesota graduate and managing general partner at Norwest Equity Partners; and Amy Phenix, U President Eric Kaler's chief of staff.

"It will be interesting to hear the committee members' defensive comments," Carter told the Pioneer Press.

Since Teague's departure, Carter has spoken to several boosters who are disappointed by the way Kaler and the search committees handled the process to replace Joel Maturi, who announced his retirement in February 2012.

"It seems nobody on the committees that were charged with selecting the Gopher Athletic Director in 2012 is now willing to stand up to be accountable for such a terrible hire," Carter wrote in his email. "... It is also somewhat interesting (though not surprising) that Dr. Kaler hasn't taken responsibility/accountability for the hire, either."

Advisory committee member Lou Nanne, a former Gophers hockey player and North Stars executive, said the letter is misguided.

The advisory committee met twice to discuss "goals and objectives" and never met a candidate.

"We never even knew any names," Nanne, the chief fund-raiser on the school's $190 million Athletes Village project, said Wednesday. "We met twice so we could go over what we expected from the candidates, like fund-raising, someone who works hard for the football and basketball team.

"We have 25 sports, and we have to make sure we have the revenue to pay for all of them."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28668422/booster-wants-u-president-committee-accept-blame-hiring

Go Gophers!!

I get how more people coming forward mean it is not good they were harassed....

But

More people coming forward doesn't really impact the university unless they had come forward before this and were ignored.

And that DFL person complaining about funding athletics is an idiot just trying to get their name in the papers. It worked. And that is coming from me, who is a left leaning moderate.

STrib: After Norwood Teague scandal, U is left with some explaining to do

Kaler declined to say if he ever asked Teague directly about the Virginia sex-discrimination complaint when it finally came to light. Nor would he say what, if any, action he took as a result, though the U said Teague was never disciplined before his resignation.

Kaler insisted that the U is “deeply committed to Title IX,” noting that the school has completed its own internal review of gender equity in sports, and is cooperating fully with the current federal investigation.

Perry Leo, a professor of aerospace engineering and mechanics who worked with Teague as a faculty athletics representative, cautioned against reading too much into the two discrimination complaints.

“I don’t think this is as uncommon as people think it is, suing for discrimination when you’re let go,” he said. Settlements don’t necessarily mean guilt, Leo said.

Former Minnesota Gov. Arne Carlson, who has been critical of Kaler’s administration, said university officials should held accountable.

“Somebody appointed Teague, somebody knew about his past misbehavior, and somebody refused to do anything about it,” he said. “It all goes back to the office of the president and the board of regents.”

http://www.startribune.com/after-teague-scandal-u-is-left-with-some-explaining-to-do/322596941/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom