No HS Football in MN this fall

Terrible decsision the majority of small schools do not have access to turf, how do you practice in the spring without turf, also soccer can play in the fall but football cant?? Makes a lot of sense right

Terrible decsision the majority of small schools do not have access to turf, how do you practice in the spring without turf, also soccer can play in the fall but football cant?? Makes a lot of sense right
Based on the voters on the board...right or wrong the only two things that had a chance of passing a vote were:

a cancelation of the season
Or
A move to spring

as someone who cares about high school football I would rather try to make it work than just quit now

Based on the voters on the board...right or wrong the only two things that had a chance of passing a vote were:

Or
A move to spring

as someone who cares about high school football I would rather try to make it work than just quit now
How is soccer allowd to play but football not? Also many counties outside of the twin cities do not have a corona virus problem why should they not be allowd to play local games?

How is soccer allowd to play but football not? Also many counties outside of the twin cities do not have a corona virus problem why should they not be allowd to play local games?
I don’t know if you know this but a lot of people don’t really like football and some of them are on the board.

soccer is a lot less contentious so they kind of do what soccer wants

The MSHSL doesn’t want to get into the business of making thousands of decisions they want to make blanket for all MSHSL members.

Going on a school by school basis was never something they’d have done. Right or wrong

soccer has a lot less people involved.
22 on the field but if you touch someone too much it’s illegal. Benches much smaller.

Even with no fans a high school football game has 200 people involved in a lot of cases.

You can run a soccer game with under 40 in the stadium.

Not saying it is correct, but obviously the idea is that football is much more close contact than soccer.

I was wondering this as well. Conceivably transfer for fall and play football in Iowa and then transfer back in Spring and play football here.
Going to be interesting to watch the border towns - I'm up here in the Fargo/Moorhead area, and there are at least 6 players from our small district that are considering 'living' with relatives in Fargo/West Fargo in order to play football this spring. Sounds like the MSHSL is at least discussing protocols or penalties for players who 'transfer out' and then come back at the semester break. #cluster

Or
A move to spring

Yeah it's a no win situation choosing what to do.

Yeah it's a no win situation choosing what to do.
40% of people would be pissed regardless of what they said.

In my district half the kids will be at school per day. The other half aren’t allowed to commingle.

meaning we wouldn’t have football practices or games.

If the season started as normal, my district wouldn’t participate

Going to be interesting to watch the border towns - I'm up here in the Fargo/Moorhead area, and there are at least 6 players from our small district that are considering 'living' with relatives in Fargo/West Fargo in order to play football this spring. Sounds like the MSHSL is at least discussing protocols or penalties for players who 'transfer out' and then come back at the semester break. #cluster

I don't think they can play both. Unless something has changed or unless this was a rare case.

But maybe 8 or 10 years ago, we had a kid move into our district from South Dakota. He had played fall golf in South Dakota for his high school team, then family moved here. MSHSL would not let him play on the golf team in our district in the spring because he had already completed a season (fall) in that academic year, even though it was out of state and a different semester. He was okay to play the next season in the spring in Minnesota. I could be off on some details but that's how I remember it.

I don't think they can play both. Unless something has changed or unless this was a rare case.

But maybe 8 or 10 years ago, we had a kid move into our district from South Dakota. He had played fall golf in South Dakota for his high school team, then family moved here. MSHSL would not let him play on the golf team in our district in the spring because he had already completed a season (fall) in that academic year, even though it was out of state and a different semester. He was okay to play the next season in the spring in Minnesota. I could be off on some details but that's how I remember it.
If a kid moves official addresses it is really easy for them to become eligible in Minnesota.
If a kid just transfers without moving it’s very difficult.

No idea how the other states work.

Well um ... yeah.

That kinda makes sense.

I wonder if some Minnesota high school kids will move/transfer to Iowa or North/South Dakota high schools to play in the fall? A couple of powerhouse programs in Des Moines already have transfers in town from California, Illinois, and Colorado. Some Minnesota kids could head south to play in the fall?? Practice starts next week in Iowa, not sure about Dakotas.
That’s interesting. Downing Catholic (Des Moines) is a traditional 4A football powerhouse. Their baseball team was ranked #1 in 4A IHSAA Summer baseball. They had to cancel the remainder of their season when an active starter became infected.

That’s interesting. Downing Catholic (Des Moines) is a traditional 4A football powerhouse. Their baseball team was ranked #1 in 4A IHSAA Summer baseball. They had to cancel the remainder of their season when an active starter became infected.
Dowling, not Downing ... 😡 spellcheck.

If a kid moves official addresses it is really easy for them to become eligible in Minnesota.

That's not what I was saying.

Pertaining to this discussion, what if that kid has already played in that sport?

Like if he plays football in the fall in Iowa, can he return to Minnesota and play in the spring?

So, my comment had nothing to do with eligibility on moving, it was is the kid eligible to play a sport he already took part in that academic year?

My real life example didn't allow for the kid who moved in from South Dakota to our school distrcit to play golf in the spring in MN because he played in the fall in SD (it is a fall sport in SD, a spring sport in MN).

So, unless the rule has changed (and maybe it has), I would think playing fall football in Fargo and spring football in Moorhead would not be allowed.

But, someone with more knowledge than I knows the answer.

Last edited:

That's not what I was saying.

Pertaining to this discussion, what if that kid has already played in that sport?

Like if he plays football in the fall in Iowa, can he return to Minnesota and play in the spring?

So, my comment had nothing to do with eligibility on moving, it was is the kid eligible to play a sport he already took part in that academic year?

My real life example didn't allow for the kid who moved in from South Dakota to our school distrcit to play golf in the spring in MN because he played in the fall in SD (it is a fall sport in SD, a spring sport in MN).

So, unless the rule has changed (and maybe it has), I would think playing fall football in Fargo and spring football in Moorhead would not be allowed.

But, someone with more knowledge than I knows the answer.
I think they should’ve battled harder. We have had out of state move ins be immediately eligible.

how many years ago was that?

As strange as it sounds 99% of eligibility determinations are made by the schools athletics department. So if he was deemed ineligible it is likely due to how the principal or AD interpreted the rule and the situation.

Another AD could see the same circumstance and make a different determination and 99.9% of the time neither decision would be questioned

As a high school AD who is pretty familiar with the transfer rule this is the best way to explain it to someone without referring to the by-laws.

I'm about 99.99% sure if someone living in Moorhead transfers over to Fargo to play football in the fall and then back would be ineligible for spring football in Minnesota.

I think they should’ve battled harder. We have had out of state move ins be immediately eligible.

As strange as it sounds 99% of eligibility determinations are made by the schools athletics department. So if he was deemed ineligible it is likely due to how the principal or AD interpreted the rule and the situation.

Another AD could see the same circumstance and make a different determination and 99.9% of the time neither decision would be questioned
Correct, according to the by-laws if you have a full residence change you are immediately eligible.

I had a situation where parents were moving in from out of state. Dad had a job in Minnesota and moved up here with kid. Mom is still living out of state at their house until she found work in Minnesota. Since the family hadn't fully moved the kid was ineligible.

As a high school AD who is pretty familiar with the transfer rule this is the best way to explain it to someone without referring to the by-laws.

I'm about 99.99% sure if someone living in Moorhead transfers over to Fargo to play football in the fall and then back would be ineligible for spring football in Minnesota.
Which is correct. You shouldn’t be allowed to play spring football in MN if you play this fall in any state or Canada.

We have had a ton of kids move in and be eligible right away, too. That isn't the discussion point here. I understand the rules. If the kid wanted to play tennis, he would have been fine. But, he had already played golf in the fall, so he was ineligible only for that sport in the spring. Do you understand what we're talking about now?

This has to do with playing the SAME two sports in the SAME academic year, which playing in football in the fall in Iowa and then in the spring in Minnesota would be.

I don't think that is allowed. As has been confirmed by an AD now.

Last edited:

We have had a ton of kids move in and be eligible right away, too. That isn't the discussion point here. I understand the rules. If the kid wanted to play tennis, he would have been fine. But, he had already played golf in the fall, so he was ineligible only for that sport in the spring. Do you understand what we're talking about now?

This has to do with playing the SAME two sports in the SAME academic year, which playing in football in the fall in Iowa and then in the spring in Minnesota would be.

Are you going to be okay? You seem pretty fired up

I should clarify - I don't know if they would be ineligible because of the same two sports in the same academic year. If I had that situation I would probably have to refer to the MSHSL for their guidance. :)

In the football situation, if they transferred out of their school into a ND school they would have to follow ND's eligibility requirements. When they transferred back to Minnesota they would be ineligible for varsity competition for one calendar year.

I should clarify - I don't know if they would be ineligible because of the same two sports in the same academic year. If I had that situation I would probably have to refer to the MSHSL for their guidance. :)

In the football situation, if they transferred out of their school into a ND school they would have to follow ND's eligibility requirements. When they transferred back to Minnesota they would be ineligible for varsity competition for one calendar year.

I think it would be hard for MSHSL to not allow a kid to play who transferred back in the Sprinf this year at least. The kid could just use the argument I left in the fall to a state/area that was “safer” from a Covid standpoint and then came back home to Minnesota when it was deemed “safer” according to MSHSL stance on moving seasons out. It largely would be a BS argument but don’t see the MSHSL wanting that fight and to be perceived as penalizing a kid for moving temporarily under the umbrella of safety.

I think it would be hard for MSHSL to not allow a kid to play who transferred back in the Sprinf this year at least. The kid could just use the argument I left in the fall to a state/area that was “safer” from a Covid standpoint and then came back home to Minnesota when it was deemed “safer” according to MSHSL stance on moving seasons out. It largely would be a BS argument but don’t see the MSHSL wanting that fight and to be perceived as penalizing a kid for moving temporarily under the umbrella of safety.
Eehhhhh I think that argument would be paper thin enough for MSHSL to poke a hole in and everyone would see it for what it is.

Indeed, Dowling Catholic has won seven straight state titles. I'm quite confident that athletes from Illinois have already inquired.

Not saying it is correct, but obviously the idea is that football is much more close contact than soccer.

Correct. Football is basically players constantly on top of each other. Soccer's close-up interactions are brief. Not to mention the sheer numbers of players on the sideline - difficult to keep them 6 feet apart.

For fall MYSA/TCSL youth soccer this year, coaches will have to wear masks, players on the bench will have to wear masks, and players on the bench will need to be 6 feet apart.

Top Bottom