No HS Football in MN this fall

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
The MSHSL has voted to move HS Football to a Spring season - approx mid-March to mid-May, with no scrimmages and fewer games. Post-season format to be determined.

Volleyball is also being moved to the late Winter/early Spring season.

but there will be Cross-Country in MN this fall!

Swimming and Tennis also approved with reduced schedules for fall.

The MSHSL has voted to move HS Football to a Spring season - approx mid-March to mid-May, with no scrimmages and fewer games. Post-season format to be determined.

So basically no HS volleyball? I doubt the highly profitable volleyball clubs will be scaling back their seasons. And I think most of the girls will choose club as it's a longer season and likely won't have as many restrictions.

So basically no HS volleyball? I doubt the highly profitable volleyball clubs will be scaling back their seasons. And I think most of the girls will choose club as it's a longer season and likely won't have as many restrictions.
They’ll make it work for both. I know at least California is having both boys and girls school season in the spring, which has traditionally been club season.

They’ll make it work for both. I know at least California is having both boys and girls school season in the spring, which has traditionally been club season.

You think the clubs will pause for the high school season? Call me skeptical (too much money to be lost, too much pride). But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.

This affects signing day, does it not?

National Signing Day going to move to May 31st?

Movement of sports will kill high school track for a year.
Unless you’re all American or something who wants to go to track practice on summer break?

Whoop! Gotta love running around a golf course to cheer on the CC team! 😏

You think the clubs will pause for the high school season? Call me skeptical (too much money to be lost, too much pride). But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.
There is an argument to be made for all extracurricular activities moving to clubs. It's less cost to schools and a revenue increase due to schools having the facilities.

Movement of sports will kill high school track for a year.
Unless you’re all American or something who wants to go to track practice on summer break?

I believe track is being moved to summer, along with the traditional spring sprots.

Go Gophers!!

Well, that takes care of the conflict with Iowa @ Minnesota. When and if the revamped Big 10 schedule is released, I am hoping for a heavy dose of Friday night games whether they involve the Gophers or not.

Just my opinion.

Well, that takes care of the conflict with Iowa @ Minnesota. When and if the revamped Big 10 schedule is released, I am hoping for a heavy dose of Friday night games whether they involve the Gophers or not.

Just my opinion.
Funny thing is I"m not sure it remains a Friday night game for sure anyway...

Just shut down everything in 2020.....

Including the election. Move everything to next year when we magically have our first ever coronavirus vaccine (currently 0-6). Or whenever the virus just decides it's done.

Funny thing is I"m not sure it remains a Friday night game for sure anyway...

True, but I would just guess if they want to maximize TV revenue they will create as many "windows" as the broadcast partners desire. Friday, could play games at 5p & 8p, Saturday 11a, 2p, 5p & 8p.

That's if there is a season to begin with.

Whoop! Gotta love running around a golf course to cheer on the CC team! 😏
My son ran CC 7th through 12th grade. We made it to most of the meets. We weren't the hyper parents that ran all over the course yelling at/for their kid. We staked out a couple spots where we knew they'd be running past including the finish line. We'd offer some words of encouragement to him and his teammates, and constantly asked each other "who is this coming...what's his name again?", or "who was that, I get him mixed up with that other kid?". We would also make bets on how soon after the finish line a certain teammate of his would puke. Great fun.
We only went to the meets when the weather was ideal so it was usually a nice walk on a beautiful golf course on a glorious autumn afternoon. We'd usually meet up with him before he ran and then after he ran so we were usually in and out of there in about 45 minutes. Then we'd leave and find a nice restaurant on the way home (we'd order something to go for him, too). Most stress free sport to watch as a parent. Oddly, I'll miss it.

I wonder if some Minnesota high school kids will move/transfer to Iowa or North/South Dakota high schools to play in the fall? A couple of powerhouse programs in Des Moines already have transfers in town from California, Illinois, and Colorado. Some Minnesota kids could head south to play in the fall?? Practice starts next week in Iowa, not sure about Dakotas.

Are baseball/softball moving to Fall?

Are baseball/softball moving to Fall?

No, for this academic year, they will make a "fourth season".

Football/Volleyball will go March 15-May 15.
Baseball/Softball will go May 15-July 15

No, for this academic year, they will make a "fourth season".

Football/Volleyball will go March 15-May 15.
Baseball/Softball will go May 15-July 15
Small schools will be left with few going out for baseball in that case, IMO.

I wonder if some Minnesota high school kids will move/transfer to Iowa or North/South Dakota high schools to play in the fall? A couple of powerhouse programs in Des Moines already have transfers in town from California, Illinois, and Colorado. Some Minnesota kids could head south to play in the fall?? Practice starts next week in Iowa, not sure about Dakotas.

I was wondering this as well. Conceivably transfer for fall and play football in Iowa and then transfer back in Spring and play football here.

My son ran CC 7th through 12th grade. We made it to most of the meets. We weren't the hyper parents that ran all over the course yelling at/for their kid. We staked out a couple spots where we knew they'd be running past including the finish line. We'd offer some words of encouragement to him and his teammates, and constantly asked each other "who is this coming...what's his name again?", or "who was that, I get him mixed up with that other kid?". We would also make bets on how soon after the finish line a certain teammate of his would puke. Great fun.
We only went to the meets when the weather was ideal so it was usually a nice walk on a beautiful golf course on a glorious autumn afternoon. We'd usually meet up with him before he ran and then after he ran so we were usually in and out of there in about 45 minutes. Then we'd leave and find a nice restaurant on the way home (we'd order something to go for him, too). Most stress free sport to watch as a parent. Oddly, I'll miss it.
A Norwegian parents dream sport. Sit in a lawn chair and, every once in awhile, give a nod. 😏

If enough of the girls say they want to play for their school team, what choice will the club directors have?

School coaches will probably already be calling girls to get pledges to play the school season.

If enough of the girls say they want to play for their school team, what choice will the club directors have?

School coaches will probably already be calling girls to get pledges to play the school season.

I think the vast majority of girls will choose club over school. My daughter has played club volleyball for 5 years...it's just how things are in volleyball now. It might be a year where a non-traditional volleyball school will win the state title.

The only hope for a "true" HS season I think would be if the clubs paused during the HS season.

Last edited:

Top Bottom