Next year

Makes sense. I hope he can play, I like him. I just don't rely on guys who haven't been healthy in years.

Agree 100% that's why I think he will be limited minutes wise. A good on ball screener is actually very important in our offense if our system stays the same (I doubt it changes). Somebody has to be the 10-12 min guy and he'd be a really good one of them I think.

With Curry, I think people are remembering what he did as a FR, and projecting out how he would have been expected to improve with normal health and development.

But, with the injuries, I think you have to throw all of those projections out.

In Curry's benefit, he's two years older, more mature, and hopefully has a better understanding of the game. it's all about the physical end of the game.

if he can hold up physically, I would be thrilled if he can play 15 minutes a game with 4 or 5 ppg and similar for rebounds. I don't expect him to carry the team. I just want someone who can come off the bench and not hurt the team.

One of the Gophers' biggest issues has been depth on the front line. a competent backup who can play 15 minutes a game and at least provide some production would be a big step up compared to what we've seen in recent years.

With the proviso that we don't know if Robbins gets a waiver or if Pitino signs another big as a grad transfer. That could change the equation.

Well... at this point I view the lineup as complete. I think that Peterson and Robbins are going to get their waivers and Carr is going to return. Those don't seem like hopes at this point. So what do we have?

PG -Carr, Mashburn, Greenlee
SG- Gabe, Williams
SF- Ihnen, Peterson
PF- Johnson, Curry, Mitchell
C- Robbins, Freeman, Omersa

That's a lot of depth and flexibility since every player except the two bigs can move to another spot at any time. If they can gel as a squad, we have more overall talent than last year, even with the huge loss of Oturu. On paper is is a deeper, longer, better shooting team than last year with more scoring threats and more ways to match up. From where we were a month ago - this has been a great spring!

Yes, I see this lineup as an improvement overall over last year's team but the hole left by Oturu is not going to be easy to fill. Will have to be done by committee. Fortunately, I do think the Oturu hole on defense is going to be more than filled by Robbins, who is a bigger body and has good shot blocking skills. Factor in the athleticism of Johnson replacing Demir and the defense down low should be solid! With Carr, Gabe, Ihnen, Petersen, Williams, Mashburn out top to pressure and no Willis(who I thought was defensively sub-standard) we should be better at locking down.

Offensively, replacing Daniel is going to be a major challenge and will have to be done by three positions. Limit the drop off at C, and have improved production at both the forward spots. We should also expect improved scoring from the of-guard spot if Gabe gets his groove back. Carr and Mashburn will most likely get theirs.

I see this as a team that will disturb teams with their defensive intensity and length in the passing lanes. They will seldom get blown out and have many ugly games when they aren't hitting their shots but will still be in it. They will blow teams away, even teams they shouldn't! When they are on fire and have good ball movement. Should be exciting basketball and fun to watch. Always good to see coaches coach when they know it's put up or pack!

Go Gophers!

Yes, I see this lineup as an improvement overall over last year's team but the hole left by Oturu is not going to be easy to fill. Will have to be done by committee. Fortunately, I do think the Oturu hole on defense is going to be more than filled by Robbins, who is a bigger body and has good shot blocking skills. Factor in the athleticism of Johnson replacing Demir and the defense down low should be solid! With Carr, Gabe, Ihnen, Petersen, Williams, Mashburn out top to pressure and no Willis(who I thought was defensively sub-standard) we should be better at locking down.

Offensively, replacing Daniel is going to be a major challenge and will have to be done by three positions. Limit the drop off at C, and have improved production at both the forward spots. We should also expect improved scoring from the of-guard spot if Gabe gets his groove back. Carr and Mashburn will most likely get theirs.

I see this as a team that will disturb teams with their defensive intensity and length in the passing lanes. They will seldom get blown out and have many ugly games when they aren't hitting their shots but will still be in it. They will blow teams away, even teams they shouldn't! When they are on fire and have good ball movement. Should be exciting basketball and fun to watch. Always good to see coaches coach when they know it's put up or pack!

Go Gophers!
More versatility if everyone gets here on the ok to play and everyone returns. Great post, count me in.

This roster has a lot of experience, but not as much together. Gabe will be a 3 year starter/major player, same with Carr. Robbins has played a lot of college ball (36 starts) and Petersen has as well (54 starts). Brandon Johnson has 92 starts. That is a ton of experience to rely on and only two freshman who haven't played at all.

I love the versatility of this roster if everyone is eligible and Carr is back. I hope Pitino coaches to it. He can pressure full court, extend his half court D, etc because guys shouldn't have to play 35 minutes every game. Not saying to overhaul everything but its OK to change what you're doing to fit the roster and I think he does that. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Top Bottom