Next year

TABinMO

Reaction score
There are some intriguing unknowns with this team for next season, but if Carr returns, Mitchell and Mashburn can contribute, Curry returns to form, and Robbins is eligible, this could be a pretty good team. Adding Walton would be icing on the cake! Then it would help if we actually have a season to watch!

There are some intriguing unknowns with this team for next season, but if Carr returns, Mitchell and Mashburn can contribute, Curry returns to form, and Robbins is eligible, this could be a pretty good team. Adding Walton would be icing on the cake! Then it would help if we actually have a season to watch!

I don't think we need all those things to happen to be "pretty good". Id say 3 of 5 and we'll be there. All those things happen and we could be Top 4 in conference.

If Carr is not back, a covid resurgence to cancel the season may not be so bad. (wishing no ill health on anyone)

I'll be all COVIDed out by then! Bring on the basketball!

I don't think we need all those things to happen to be "pretty good". Id say 3 of 5 and we'll be there. All those things happen and we could be Top 4 in conference.
COULD. So much depends on what the other programs bring back, add, improvement and who coaches them. What coaches do you bet on to do better than we do ?

COULD. So much depends on what the other programs bring back, add, improvement and who coaches them. What coaches do you bet on to do better than we do ?

Izzo, Painter and Gard seem to consistently - although Pitino has done well against Painter h2h.

Turgeon is still a bit unpredictable. Underwood hasn't been there long enough. Same for Howard and Holtmann and Pikiell.

I don't think Miller, Collins or Hoiberg have separated themselves at their current stops.

Who am I missing?

I have every confidence they can be as succesful next year as they were this year.

Izzo, Painter and Gard seem to consistently - although Pitino has done well against Painter h2h.

Turgeon is still a bit unpredictable. Underwood hasn't been there long enough. Same for Howard and Holtmann and Pikiell.

I don't think Miller, Collins or Hoiberg have separated themselves at their current stops.

Who am I missing?
Is he .500 against Painter ? So 4th it is ? Count me in for that because i would not rank him 4th as a coach in the conference. Archie is nearing a roster of his players now. Franny does better, Holtman is better, Turgeon has done far more.

Is he .500 against Painter ? So 4th it is ? Count me in for that because i would not rank him 4th as a coach in the conference. Archie is nearing a roster of his players now. Franny does better, Holtman is better, Turgeon has done far more.

Didn't we beat OSU twice last year? What has Holtmann achieved at OSU?

Doesn't Turgeon have a history of choking out early with good teams? When was his last deep tourney run at Maryland?

Archie has done jackshit with a huge recruiting budget and brand. Your comment is 100% speculative when you asked me about historical performance. Which side are you playing? What you THINK coaches will do or what they HAVE DONE?

You asked who is consistently better in the league. I gave you the list of proven one's. No i dont think Fran has moved himself into that top echelon at this point.

Didn't we beat OSU twice last year? What has Holtmann achieved at OSU?

Doesn't Turgeon have a history of choking out early with good teams? When was his last deep tourney run at Maryland?

Archie has done jackshit with a huge recruiting budget and brand. Your comment is 100% speculative when you asked me about historical performance. Which side are you playing? What you THINK coaches will do or what they HAVE DONE?

You asked who is consistently better in the league. I gave you the list of proven one's. No i dont think Fran has moved himself into that top echelon at this point.
Holtman has a .586 conference winning % in 3 years. Turgeon just won the conference, Fran has a better winning % and is loaded up for this coming year. IU has Archie's players right now and already finished ahead. I like what coaches have done to get a idea of what they will do. None of the programs coached by the guys you railed on would trade their coach for ours.

Holtman has a .586 conference winning % in 3 years. Turgeon just won the conference, Fran has a better winning % and is loaded up for this coming year. IU has Archie's players right now and already finished ahead. I like what coaches have done to get a idea of what they will do. None of the programs coached by the guys you railed on would trade their coach for ours.

we get it, you don't like Pitino

as to next year, I have a hard time seeing us being top 4

We'll be a bubble tourney team, 5-10 in conference

as to next year, I have a hard time seeing us being top 4

We'll be a bubble tourney team, 5-10 in conference

I said that if ALL the things the OP listed happen - which included getting Walton and Curry being back to his good self.

Holtman's team seem to have all sorts of locker room stuff to and he still pulled them out and they finished the season very strong. If I had my pick of coaches in the conference, he's easily top 3.

I see at least 2 big "If's" for next season.

1. Will Robbins be eligible? Gophers' track record with NCAA waivers is not promising. If Robbins can't play, there's a big hole in the middle. How many teams are able to lose their best player and still improve their performance?

2. If Robbins is eligible, how effective will he be at the major-conference level? He will be facing stronger opposition every game compared to what he faced at Drake. There will be an adjustment period. But - I'll take an average big body over no big body.

If marcus carr comes back and Liam robbins can play, I am saying we make it to sweet 16.
Go ahead and call me delusional. I can take it.

If marcus carr comes back and Liam robbins can play, I am saying we make it to sweet 16.
Go ahead and call me delusional. I can take it.
Would not call that delusional at all. Finishing 6th or 7th is not all that great and it gets you into the tourney. From there that means only two wins ! That is why i laugh when people say a run to the sweet 16 !

Would not call that delusional at all. Finishing 6th or 7th is not all that great and it gets you into the tourney. From there that means only two wins ! That is why i laugh when people say a run to the sweet 16 !

Again, different people have different measures of success. I value success in NCAA tournament over winning the conference, of course, winning conference sets you up to win in tourney.

But all things considered, if we won the conference and were upset in first round of tourney, I'd be meh

If we finish 5th in conference and made Sweet 16 or god forbid further, hey, that was fun run

If we win conference and go deep in tourney, even better

Do not confuse me liking him with me thinking he has done a poor job. Still keeping my tickets and cheering for him to win.

Well that's just semantics.

Look, I was ready to move on from Pitino this past year as well and I've been pretty loyal to him. Personally I think a coach should get about 4-5 years, he's going on year 8 and I'm still not sure where we're going. Some of my complaints mirror yours, but I'd prefer to be optimistic (even if not based on logic) going forward

that's me

Cmon give me a break. J/K. It has been awhile since I have seen the gophers make sweet 16. I would take that as a fun run. Elite 8 and I would be ecstatic.

If I read another post about Curry "returning to form", I'm going to lose it.

What are the realistic expectations for him? I don't think he will ever average more than 6 points and 4 rebounds for the Gophers. He is a replacement level player, at best.

In 2016-17, he averaged 5.5pts and 5.2 rebounds in 20mpg. There is no reason to believe he can achieve and of those numbers again. Since that point he has missed multiple seasons due to injury. Its not like he was a future first round pick.

I'm really curious as to what people think he will be. Because we know what he was, and that was a reasonably solid contributor as a freshman. But he is likely worse now than he was as a freshman.

Cmon give me a break. J/K. It has been awhile since I have seen the gophers make sweet 16. I would take that as a fun run. Elite 8 and I would be ecstatic.
It would be a blast but i just do not consider winning two games a run. Just not to me.

If I read another post about Curry "returning to form", I'm going to lose it.

What are the realistic expectations for him? I don't think he will ever average more than 6 points and 4 rebounds for the Gophers. He is a replacement level player, at best.

In 2016-17, he averaged 5.5pts and 5.2 rebounds in 20mpg. There is no reason to believe he can achieve and of those numbers again. Since that point he has missed multiple seasons due to injury. Its not like he was a future first round pick.

I'm really curious as to what people think he will be. Because we know what he was, and that was a reasonably solid contributor as a freshman. But he is likely worse now than he was as a freshman.
Imagine if Curry returns to form next year. What a boost that would be!

Imagine if Curry returns to form next year. What a boost that would be!

I've officially lost it. hahaha

I just want to know what people think he will be, realistically. Because I see him as 9th man. Hurt like minutes and production.

If we consistently make the tournament and win more in the conference, sweet sixteens will be a natural byproduct. It's what our focus should be on for sure and can certainly be done more here. I think the roster this year was constructed good enough to be in the top 6 in the conference and I still stand by it. I think as things are sitting today, we will have a roster capable of doing that as well again, but we need to defend better. I fully believe we will shoot it better even with the loss of Willis. Next years group is looking to be better defensively as well.

I've officially lost it. hahaha

I just want to know what people think he will be, realistically. Because I see him as 9th man. Hurt like minutes and production.

10-12 minutes would be wonderful and reasonable to start and we will have to see from there. What Curry brings is more than stats will show. He's a good position defender and smart offensively in spacing, screening, and passing.

10-12 minutes would be wonderful and reasonable to start and we will have to see from there. What Curry brings is more than stats will show. He's a good position defender and smart offensively in spacing, screening, and passing.

His upside is 10-12 minutes and good at setting screens. That is insanely low upside for someone people want in the rotation.

His upside is 10-12 minutes and good at setting screens. That is insanely low upside for someone people want in the rotation.

I'm sorry I was saying what I was expecting. Upside is he returns to form gives 10 and 8 a game and plays 25 minutes.

I'm sorry I was saying what I was expecting. Upside is he returns to form gives 10 and 8 a game and plays 25 minutes.

Makes sense. I hope he can play, I like him. I just don't rely on guys who haven't been healthy in years.

Top Bottom