Next Up: Nebraska

If the bye week helps us get both CAB and Dylan Wright in good shape physically and emotionally, I think we give Nebraska a game. If our defensive front seven continues it’s impressive progress, and can contain Martinez on QB options, we give Nebraska a game. If we play the Nebraska game without CAB or Wright, our defense and STs will each have to produce stellar efforts. A real test for our coaching staff.
Yeah, I agree that having both CAB and Wright at full strength will be critical. I'm guessing the passing game has been hampered a lot by the constant shufflilng of personnel the past few weeks. Get those guys on the field practicing for 10 days...

Agree on the front 7 being a big difference in this game. Nebraska's OL has been a pretty consistent weakness this year, and the GOpher DL has been improving each week. I wouldn't be surprised with 3 or 4 more sacks and several more pressures against Neb. A big key is then containing Martinez to short scrambles rather than chunk runs. I love that there's a bye week here to scheme it up!

Nebraska is regularly one of the most hyped bad football teams out there. They have beaten Fordham, Buffalo and Northwestern. They have lost to Illinois, MSU, and Oklahoma. They are 3-3 without haven beaten anybody good, and they have lost to a terrible Illinois team. If our team is anywhere close to where we think we are, we won't lose to this clown show at home.

Count me among those that thought preseason this would be a repeat of 2019, but are now concerned after the first few weeks of the season has played out.

literally half the concern is with the Gophers, who now can’t take any game for granted after trending poorly on offense and losing to Bowling f’ing Green. The other half of concern is the apparent improvement of the Frostys

Nebraska is regularly one of the most hyped bad football teams out there. They have beaten Fordham, Buffalo and Northwestern. They have lost to Illinois, MSU, and Oklahoma. They are 3-3 without haven beaten anybody good, and they have lost to a terrible Illinois team. If our team is anywhere close to where we think we are, we won't lose to this clown show at home.

I'm always amazed at how some people can make blustery arguments like this while failing to see the ironies and weaknesses of them. Let's take a closer look.

"They have lost to Illinois, MSU, and Oklahoma."

They lost to Illinois in the first game of the season. We lost to BGSU in the fourth game of the season. Furthermore, as you may recall, we were absolutely blown out by a 4-8 Illinois team in the 9th game of the 2018 season before turning the season around by playing well in the last four games (including the bowl).

Oklahoma likely is the best team in the Big 12 and Nebraska played them close. MSU has a fair shot of winning 9 games this year and Nebraska lost that game by 3 points in overtime on the road.

"They are 3-3 without haven beaten anybody good"

We're 3-2 without having beaten anyone good.

Teams are capable of playing better later in the season than they played early in the season. You fully expect us to do that but you're not willing to concede that Nebraska might be capable of doing the same.

Regardless of what happens Nebraska vs Michigan, the Gophers have to suit up and mentally be prepared for a tough game. Offense, Defense, Special Teams have to perform up to their abilities with a next man-up mentality. I'm hoping we get a 2:30 game. as an aside, can GHers imagine a night game after 10 hours of Gopher fans and Cornhusker fans tailgating?

We must win this game. I'd like to think were a tier above Nebraska in the B1G. Last time they were here it was sooo delicious to watch their obnoxious fanbase sulk as they walked out of the bank

We lost to Bowling Green at home by playing overly conservative offense. We can lose to Nebraska at home much more easily.

If the expected happens this week and Michigan handles Nebraska… Frost may very well be coaching for his job. With the schedule they have after us I don’t think they could become bowl eligible without a W against us or Michigan.

If the expected happens this week and Michigan handles Nebraska… Frost may very well be coaching for his job. With the schedule they have after us I don’t think they could become bowl eligible without a W against us or Michigan.
In all likelihood, they would be looking at 4-8 if they lose to Michigan and us.

If the bye week helps us get both CAB and Dylan Wright in good shape physically and emotionally, I think we give Nebraska a game. If our defensive front seven continues it’s impressive progress, and can contain Martinez on QB options, we give Nebraska a game. If we play the Nebraska game without CAB or Wright, our defense and STs will each have to produce stellar efforts. A real test for our coaching staff.
I was impressed watching them run speed and counter option against MSU -- I think that with our linebacking corps being weak laterally that they could really gash us with those plays.

Our next game, after the bye, will be a real test. Nebraska dominated and decimated Northwestern tonight 56-7. The Nebraska defense played great and its offense was really clicking, with 427 rushing yards. Big pass plays, too. Nebraska is finally playing up to its talent level. Our defense is better than NW’s, but holy cow. We might need to score 30+ to be in the game.
Nebraska can beat garbage teams like NW and Fordham, but they've lost to any team with a pulse and Illinois, They will be 3-5 when they leave the MPLS Airport on Saturday night

Last edited:

It's true that Northwestern isn't any good, but Nebraska has been improving week to week. They held MSU's offense to 13 points in regulation. Nebraska allowed a special teams TD in the 4th quarter when the punter kicked to the wrong side of the field / wrong returner. MSU had two returners on opposite hash Mark's. Almost all the Nebraska defenders went to the opposite side of the field from the punt, so not only did the more skilled returner receive the punt, most of the Nebraska players converged on the wrong returner. It was a pretty easy TD. That tied the game, and of course Nebraska crapped their pants in OT.
Sparty overrated, beat a garbage Miami team, NW and Nebraska. the Meat of the East Division will expose them soon enough as well

All for that: tights ends loom over cornerbacks and safeties - passing to them regularly would seem a no-brainer. We could use some screen passes, misdirection, too ,because NE will be brutal on a vanilla offense. Also, according to the Omaha World-Herald, Frost dislikes PJ and resents recent losses to the Gophers.
I would bet that if NebTech gets a decent lead, it won’t go into a conservative shell. Frost will pour it on right until the end, if he can, because, you know, PJ.

If they win though against MI… Al of a sudden they look to be on the rise hahahaha….

We lost to Bowling Green at home by playing overly conservative offense. We can lose to Nebraska at home much more easily.
Fleck & Co have shown that given extra time, they can put together an elite game plan.

Really really tired of 11:00 AM starts. I don’t mind one sprinkled in here and there (especially for road games) but a steady diet of them like this sucks.

I hope and pray that Trey Potts will make a full and speedy recovery. But he is still in the hospital in Indiana. We could well be playing the rest of the season without Mo or Potts. With those two healthy, we beat Nebraska. Without either, to harness the Nebraska offense, we must get great defensive and ST play. And to beat Nebraska, we will need our full suite of receivers (CAB, Wright, Jackson and MBS + TEs) ready to go. And someone must step up at RB alongside Bucko Irving. Could be William’s chance to get meaningful snaps and reprise his FR year; might be time for Cam W to rise to the surface; or time for Ky Thomas to have a break out performance. Suspect that against Nebraska we might need the pass to set up the run with Mo and Potts both unavailable.

Top Bottom