Next Up: Nebraska

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Our next game, after the bye, will be a real test. Nebraska dominated and decimated Northwestern tonight 56-7. The Nebraska defense played great and its offense was really clicking, with 427 rushing yards. Big pass plays, too. Nebraska is finally playing up to its talent level. Our defense is better than NW’s, but holy cow. We might need to score 30+ to be in the game.

As I posted on another thread, I talked to a HS friend of mine who is a long timer on the Pioneer Press sports staff, a 1985 NW grad.

He kindly pointed out that NW has the worst defense that they have had since he was there.... and I believe they lost 32 straight back then.... Lets see what the Wolverines do in Lincoln nex
t week before we anoint the Shuckers.

Last edited:

As I posted on another thread, I talked to a HS friend of mine who is a long timer on the Pioneer Press sports staff, a 1985 NW grad.

He kindly pointed out that NW has the worst defense that they have had since he was there.... and I believe they lost 32 straight back then.... Lets see what the Wolverines do in Lincoln nest week before we anoint the Shuckers.
Michigan will be the big test for Nebraska, but the Huskers seem to be getting better every week; defense much improved and Martinez is a huge talent, now peaking it seems.

Just got a bad feeling about this game - won't be close, but won't be a blowout either. Nebby 31 - Gophers 17 :(

Michigan will be the big test for Nebraska, but the Huskers seem to be getting better every week; defense much improved and Martinez is a huge talent, now peaking it seems.
Hoping the Wolverines win big in Lincoln and really wear out the Huskers. Before the season I thought the Gophers-Nebraska game would be a repeat of the 2019 Game, but that's not the case. I think we need a little Michigan assistance. AND we need to start throwing more to the TEs.

Michigan will win big. They are a force especially defensively. Regarding Nebraska Martinez's first touchdown pass was a wild throw that the receiver probably ran five to 10 yards laterally to make the catch in front of defenders. Watch the replay and you'll see it as more luck than skill. I think the gophers are going to get on a roll and it starts with Neb. tech.

Nebraska might get that signature win they've been looking for next week against Michigan.

This Vegas analytic has Neb at 82.5, Gophs 78.5...four points better on neutral field. Iowa, Mich both at 89. Wi at 83. Md 80.5, In 78.5.Illini 70, NW 68.5.

Hope we get a late start time and good ticket sales next two weeks. Big win yesterday by Nebraska should help Coyle refill coffers some more. OSU game prices had to result in biggest gate ever.

"2021 College Football Betting Power Ratings | The Action Network" https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/2021-college-football-betting-power-ratings

Last edited:

It's true that Northwestern isn't any good, but Nebraska has been improving week to week. They held MSU's offense to 13 points in regulation. Nebraska allowed a special teams TD in the 4th quarter when the punter kicked to the wrong side of the field / wrong returner. MSU had two returners on opposite hash Mark's. Almost all the Nebraska defenders went to the opposite side of the field from the punt, so not only did the more skilled returner receive the punt, most of the Nebraska players converged on the wrong returner. It was a pretty easy TD. That tied the game, and of course Nebraska crapped their pants in OT.

I'm looking forward to it.

Big moment for both teams.

As of today I would call it a toss up.

nice getting a bye week while they play Michigan on a Saturday night, nice getting them here

nice getting a bye week while they play Michigan on a Saturday night, nice getting them here
Yep, two weeks to prepare just like 2019 before the Penn State game. I also think that 2019 PSU game was most likely the biggest gate ever, as it had 1,000 more tickets sold.

It will be a tough BT home game on a field that is exposed to the elements so both teams will share the same conditions. May there be no injuries and let them play the game. The better team will probably win. It is a great opportunity for U of M football to shine and win a BT game! Go get ‘em and be ready for a tough, tough BT football game, players, coaches AND fans. This is the biggest game of this season for the Maroon & Gold so far. Beat Nebraska.

Not to quibble but both teams share the same conditions whether the game is outside or inside.
FB is an outside game and is an abomination to play the game inside.
NE lost to ILL and beat NWA.
The MI/NE game will be telling.

Regarding Nebraska Martinez's first touchdown pass was a wild throw that the receiver probably ran five to 10 yards laterally to make the catch in front of defenders. Watch the replay and you'll see it as more luck than skill.

Well, it definitely sounds like there was some skill (or at least a lot of speed and hustle) from that receiver.

Yep, two weeks to prepare just like 2019 before the Penn State game. I also think that 2019 PSU game was most likely the biggest gate ever, as it had 1,000 more tickets sold.

prices for OSU were much more than 2% higher for PSU

Well, it definitely sounds like there was some skill (or at least a lot of speed and hustle) from that receiver.
Definitely a better play by receiver than a pass by martinez. Leidner was/is a better passer than Martinez.

Any word on game time yet?

Not to quibble but both teams share the same conditions whether the game is outside or inside.
FB is an outside game and is an abomination to play the game inside.
NE lost to ILL and beat NWA.
The MI/NE game will be telling.
How right you are. It’s more a factor in late October & November. Some teams get really spooked in cold, windy, wet conditions. A windy, wet 2nd half October may negate a slight speed advantage, but then again may not. Just love our four season, unpredictable northern possibility location in the open air!

Last edited:

If the bye week helps us get both CAB and Dylan Wright in good shape physically and emotionally, I think we give Nebraska a game. If our defensive front seven continues it’s impressive progress, and can contain Martinez on QB options, we give Nebraska a game. If we play the Nebraska game without CAB or Wright, our defense and STs will each have to produce stellar efforts. A real test for our coaching staff.

Hoping the Wolverines win big in Lincoln and really wear out the Huskers. Before the season I thought the Gophers-Nebraska game would be a repeat of the 2019 Game, but that's not the case. I think we need a little Michigan assistance. AND we need to start throwing more to the TEs.
All for that: tights ends loom over cornerbacks and safeties - passing to them regularly would seem a no-brainer. We could use some screen passes, misdirection, too ,because NE will be brutal on a vanilla offense. Also, according to the Omaha World-Herald, Frost dislikes PJ and resents recent losses to the Gophers.

If the bye week helps us get both CAB and Dylan Wright in good shape physically and emotionally, I think we give Nebraska a game. If our defensive front seven continues it’s impressive progress, and can contain Martinez on QB options, we give Nebraska a game. If we play the Nebraska game without CAB or Wright, our defense and STs will each have to produce stellar efforts. A real test for our coaching staff.
Still need a QB to get them the ball. Tanner’s floating ducks may not do it.

I’d be shocked again if we win this one as I was with Purdue’s win.

Top Bottom