new roster up for 2023-2024

I'm not saying the star system has no merit. but those are individual ratings for individual players.

basketball is a team game. the key is whether - or how well - the individual players can work together to become part of an effective team.

we've all seen what happens in the NBA with so-called 'super teams' that never seem to mesh, or some of these college teams full of "one-and-dones" that can't seem to find ways to play as a unit.

recruiting is important. but once you get the players in the gym, the coaches have to find a way to turn a collection of individuals into a team. and that may be one of the areas where the jury is still out on Ben Johnson & his staff.

I don't know what to expect from this group.
No one knows but some people see a bright future while others drown in the wallow of their own misery. That’s not you SON. And I am truly sorry I caused your heart attack.

Umm, nice update to your post which originally excluded Garcia from your 4* list made through your extensive knowledge.

Also, Mitchell was a three star out of HS ON 247, ESPN, and rivals. The only site giving him a 4 is on3.

You know the shit you post is in print for everyone to see that you don’t know what your talking about.

Yes, there are 5 or 6 4* recruits in this team. But there are reasons the U is picked to finish last almost unanimously!

I could break those reasons down for you but you probably wouldn’t understand.
I mean the reason is because they finished last 2 years in a row and the program is a cellar dweller.

Talk is cheap. I gotta see it
If I was coaching you would see it. Also injuries tend to hit fatigued players more often. We need to substitute more. Same goes for fouls. Tired players foul more. Thorson needs to get a handle on this. We have the depth to do it for the first time in a long time.

Might even be optimistic with that. Although I think a good over/under number is probably 4.5. The team we had a chance to better than added a good piece yesterday(Michigan).
I would take that all day long.... easy money.

If I was coaching you would see it. Also injuries tend to hit fatigued players more often. We need to substitute more. Same goes for fouls. Tired players foul more. Thorson needs to get a handle on this. We have the depth to do it for the first time in a long time.
But you're not coaching... anywhere. Why is that?

Wilson will help Payne a lot, but he will get tired quickly in B10.
Unless P. Payne goes completely great crazy good……. 3-17 B10 Record. All ’new‘ guys are weak, undersized, mid D1 players……. Just saying.

Might even be optimistic with that. Although I think a good over/under number is probably 4.5. The team we had a chance to better than added a good piece yesterday(Michigan).
They added a PF that had a 10 pts 5 rbs sr year. He progressed nicely through his 4 years at TN.

However, he isn’t scary.

There other big transfer (Burnett) has underperformed at 2 previous stops.

Didn’t They have looke like junk, at home, against us, 2 uears in a row, with a much better roster?

Not sure we have I’m too worried about that pickup.

The mercy is for Gopher Loser Fans. Did you have season tickets?
I am a season-ticket holder, and I do not miss any games. We are bringing back a solid core of 4 guys who can start in the Big Ten. Along with two talented guards via the portal and two very talented freshman. The 4 that are returning learned to play together throughout the year and started playing very good basketball together, and by the end of the year we’re starting to win games. Now with the new additions and the summer workouts, their defense should get stronger and they will be able to put a much more talented team on the court. I am not gonna sit back and try to guess how many wins this team may or may not get I know they’re gonna be improved. and very fun to watch. I’m very much looking forward to the upcoming season. GO GOPHERS

I am a season-ticket holder, and I do not miss any games. We are bringing back a solid core of 4 guys who can start in the Big Ten. Along with two talented guards via the portal and two very talented freshman. The 4 that are returning learned to play together throughout the year and started playing very good basketball together, and by the end of the year we’re starting to win games. Now with the new additions and the summer workouts, their defense should get stronger and they will be able to put a much more talented team on the court. I am not gonna sit back and try to guess how many wins this team may or may not get I know they’re gonna be improved. and very fun to watch. I’m very much looking forward to the upcoming season. GO GOPHERS
Amen. So are we!!

They added a PF that had a 10 pts 5 rbs sr year. He progressed nicely through his 4 years at TN.

However, he isn’t scary.

There other big transfer (Burnett) has underperformed at 2 previous stops.

Didn’t They have looke like junk, at home, against us, 2 uears in a row, with a much better roster?

Not sure we have I’m too worried about that pickup.

Avg 10.8 & 5 in the SEC is pretty good. Also, Tennessee played at a pretty slow pace, so those numbers look even better in retrospect IMO. My guess he's a 13 and 6 guy at Michigan. Certainly a starter, and one they didn't have a couple days ago. He'd start on the Gophers.

He'd start on the Gophers.
OLIVIER NKAMHOUA would start over Garcia at PF? i don't think so

Michigan has added PFs Tray Jackson and Olivier. If you're 6'8" 240lbs Will Tschetter, ride the bench for a couple of more years, or move on?

Last edited:

OLIVIER NKAMHOUA would start over Garcia at PF? i don't think so

Michigan has added PFs Tray Jackson and Olivier. If you're 6'8" 240lbs Will Tschetter, ride the bench for a couple of more years, or move on?

I think Garcia is better, but NKamhoua would undoubtedly be our 2nd best player and to not start him would be pretty idiotic. You can play them together at 4/5 considering the other options.

I'm guessing Jackson starts at the 5, Nkamhoua at the 4 and they bring Tschetter off the bench.

I'm not sure how we go from two last place finishes to too much talent in one offseason with the additions we have made, but I guess we will see.

This team still has a bunch of "maybes" due to injury, recovery stepping up in competition, freshmen, etc. with the biggest maybe being the guy behind the bench. They will have every opportunity to show dramatic improvement this year but expectations of a high conference finish at this point is not supported.

RamBERG
So, we have 10 guys somebody else might give a scholarship to, BUT that's counting on Isaiah Ihnen and Parker Fox to be healthy. So we really have 8 who you feel are good to go physically.
Plus, Ramburg, Purcell, Reader and Wilson
I just don't see that roster as a coach worried about winning. Totally, building a roster that has guys who will be happy with their playing time.
We need an abundance of good fortune to win 5 games, starting with just the basic of what if any of the 8 sprains an ankle or gets the flu or? No problem we got Ihnen, Fox and Wilson.
Oh, you say a guard is the guy out? ...well, we got Ramberg...he plays hard. Big Ten Golden Gopher Basketball.

There are many reasons, but none of them are because my teams didn’t win. BTW, I’m pretty damn old. But my wife is 34 so I’m still winning.

So you are a coach? I thought you were setting up a big money NIL deal for us. And literally no one cares about the age of your mail order bride.

So you are a coach? I thought you were setting up a big money NIL deal for us. And literally no one cares about the age of your mail order bride.
How is the weather in Milkaukee? Are you wearing your cheesehead?
It’s great down here in NC! Not setting up NILs for you. They are for me and the student athletes. Something solid business minded Gopher fans are doing.

Ben may have decided to play one scholarship short so he will have one fewer player complain about playing time.
Gutless!

Ben may have decided to play one scholarship short so he will have one fewer player complain about playing time.
Gutless!
Did CBJ say he's not using all the scholarships to keep players happy or is that GH speculation?

Did CBJ say he's not using all the scholarships to keep players happy or is that GH speculation?
My speculation as indicated by "may have decided". I am saying that IF THAT IS TRUE, it would be gutless on the part of any coach who withholds scholarships to avoid playing time criticism.

Well shit.
You know, those 4* recruits that go to ....... Idaho.

Actually, not sure if this has been reported about Mr. Wilson, but according to his old Idaho roster page https://govandals.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jack-wilson/5010 it says in 2018 he originally went to Oregon State, appearing in 7 games, but then "withdrew" and this allowed him to sign with Idaho for the remainder of 2018-19.

Wonder if that means he was a walk-on at OSU and therefore could switch teams within the same season to accept a scholarship offer? I have never heard of that, but I guess could make sense for those limited cases.

EDIT: ok No, it simply means he quit on Oregon State after 7 games of not getting minutes on the court as a freshman. He then did not play for Idaho that season, but assume he joined that program at some point in 2019.

https://www.buildingthedam.com/2018...man-center-jack-wilson-is-leaving-the-program

Wilson, who join guard Jordan Campbell as the second player to leave the program since the season officially begun, was expected to be a crucial piece of Oregon State’s front-court heading into this season. However, with the emergence of fellow seven-footer Kylor Kelley as a more reliable talent, even the absence of Gligorije Rakocevic due to injury, Wilson never quite found his way to steady minutes.

2.9 minutes per game in Nov & Dec 2018 for Oregon State against low and mid major non-conf.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jack-wilson-1/gamelog/2019

My dude was much leaner in those days!

:oops:

Last edited:

My speculation as indicated by "may have decided". I am saying that IF THAT IS TRUE, it would be gutless on the part of any coach who withholds scholarships to avoid playing time criticism.
I've heard it mentioned several times before. Thought maybe I missed it in an interview.

If it was mentioned before in an interview, then I missed it too.
I hope it is not true and I hope they use that last scholarship to improve the team as it is intended.

Top Bottom