Nelson and Barker

I think he was mad about not getting it this year, but was even more pissed he wasn't being assured one next year (if Kill did say in his practice railing on him that he was never gonna get one, which Kill claims isn't the case). So it was kinda two layered, he was already pissed, and then the last incident where Kill allegedly told him he was dime a dozen and would never get a scholly, that pushed him over. Now this is where the "manipulation" comes in, cause then he talks about Kill doing the "love you" routine after he just went off on him. Personally, I don't see how that's anything different than a parent going off and then later coming back and doing that. My guess, if Barker doesn't go off the rails, he heals up, balls out in the bowl game, gets his scholarship, and all is well. But obviously that's not an option now.

IMHO, I think what ultimately pushed him over the cliff is the girl friend problem.

I am curious as to how often do walk on players earn a scholarship before their senior year if at all? I would also be curious as to what Derek Engel thinks about this situation, being a jr walk on wr himself who has also been a productive member on this team. The more I hear the more I think Kill did nothing wrong and Barker made a huge mistake with this whole thing. The whole thing wouldn't have even been a story 10 years ago.

Jordan Wettstein, Aaron Hill, and Cameron Botticelli immediately come to mind. Mike Rallis received a scholarship shortly after he arrived. Connor Cosgrove received a medical scholarship. Walks-ons who are potential future scholarship players is Jon Christenson, Caleb Bak, and maybe Zach Mottla.

Barker succeeded in what he wanted to accomplish. He got his 5 minutes of fame. Time marches on, it'll soon be yesterday's news, good luck at your next stop, AJ.

IMHO

IMHO, I think what ultimately pushed him over the cliff is the girl friend problem.

The "girlfriend" is code for Coach Kill. Either that or his "girlfriend" exactly paralleled this situation. Possible certainly, but seems unlikely to me. Nobody has chimed in that he had/has a girlfriend....some have said the opposite.

The "girlfriend" is code for Coach Kill. Either that or his "girlfriend" exactly paralleled this situation. Possible certainly, but seems unlikely to me. Nobody has chimed in that he had/has a girlfriend....some have said the opposite.

just not sure I would even want to go there and find out...if coach Kill is "the girlfriend" he is really being patronizing and downright insulting. Given he his on field "accomplishments are for a few games this year, he by far has not earned that right to degrade the Head coach in such a condescending fashion.

Time to move on folks...

I have seen speculation here that others on the team are on "Barker's side" in this. Is there any basis for that speculation? Barker seems immature and to have handled this really poorly. Even if another player was Barker's friend why would he be on "Barker's side" in this?

There honestly may be other players on the team that are on Barker's side however they also know they need to stay quiet about it if they want to keep their spot on the team. Tough to say but I am not surprised that active players are not rushing to his aid. If there are things there you may hear something from players after they are done but no one is going to bad mouth the coaching staff while on the active roster.

A player shouldn't be worrying about a scholarship for next year while this season is still going on. Or at least certainly not while they're still in the regular season. Get through the season first, then worry about it.

As stated in other threads, I feel bad for the seniors on this team. His letter mentioned things about him being committed to the team and such. What about the seniors who have been through the past four or five years? You can't ask for a better example of commitment than what those guys went through. It's the last home game of the senior's career and you've got this huge distraction.

Top Bottom