Nelson and Barker

jags1998

Reaction score
Looks to me like Nelson has moved on. Ben Leber tweeted his reaction to the 4,000 word manifesto, which Nelson then retweeted. Now, a retweet doesn't always mean approval - but it seems to me in this case it does.

Ben Leber ‏@nacholeber
Just read AJ Barker's letter to Coach Kill. Sorry bud, u lost me when u said u didnt always like to "ice" bc it stiffens up my ankle...WHAT?
Retweeted by Philip Nelson

Looks to me like Nelson has moved on. Ben Leber tweeted his reaction to the 4,000 word manifesto, which Nelson then retweeted. Now, a retweet doesn't always mean approval - but it seems to me in this case it does.

Ben Leber ‏@nacholeber
Just read AJ Barker's letter to Coach Kill. Sorry bud, u lost me when u said u didnt always like to "ice" bc it stiffens up my ankle...WHAT?
Retweeted by Philip Nelson

If by moved on you mean joining in the mocking of Barker...and not in the sense that he's moved on from the program

I have no idea how Nelson really feels but it goes without saying he will make sure anything public he gives off comes out as him being on Kill's side because he wants to be the starting QB for now and into the future.

Has Gray may any other comments other than that it does not involve him?

I have no idea how Nelson really feels but it goes without saying he will make sure anything public he gives off comes out as him being on Kill's side because he wants to be the starting QB for now and into the future.

Gray would be one of the ones i would potentially see going against this since he was promised the starting qb job this year and lost it due to injury. could see him trying to make the relation to his situation. but all that said, kill is probably doing whats best for q for the future by showcasing him at his more naturally gifted position. I know i sure as heck wouldn't want to try tackle him in the open field if he's playing that hybrid rb/wr.

Tweet from Gray on the situation from yesterday:

@goldengopherqb5: ATTN ALL: I have nothing to do with this situation so please dont ask me, I'm focused on the task at hand (MSU)! Thanks and carry on =)

@goldengopherqb5: ATTN ALL: I have nothing to do with this situation so please dont ask me, I'm focused on the task at hand (MSU)! Thanks and carry on =)

That is the one I saw. Problem is as a team leader people are going to look for Gray to make a comment. The non verbal message in not coming out in support of Kill is that he is more on Barker's side but doesn't want to rock the boat this close to the end of his college career. But that is just my attempt to read between the lines.

Classy guy. I have never heard anything from or about this guy that was negative. He has represented the U well during his time here by all accounts.

That is the one I saw. Problem is as a team leader people are going to look for Gray to make a comment. The non verbal message in not coming out in support of Kill is that he is more on Barker's side but doesn't want to rock the boat this close to the end of his college career. But that is just my attempt to read between the lines.

You are dead wrong, this is exactly the answer Kill/Teague would want. It is much better to have no opinion than ny opinion on this issue (and most issues).

I'm guessing when this all broke on Sunday, everyone on the team, from top to bottom, was told not to comment on it.

Gotta disagree with you. That seems like a little bit of a strech to me. I would rather have him say he is focused on the MSU game than make some comment on the situation. Barker left and another thought shouldn't be spent on his decision by the players that are still with the team. Like Gray said, focus on the task at hand, beating MSU. Just my opinion.

IMO, Barker has let the team down. This is a distraction; no question about it. I guess that a good number of the players are pissed about that as he could have held off until after the last game. I also guess there are players who side with Barker which can't help their focus and prep and others who feel good riddance with that attitude. The focus should be on the soon to be departed Seniors and the game and not on the "AJ Barker Show".

As I posted, it will be very interesting to see how the Gophers play and how motivated they are this Saturday.

Gray has done nothing other than be a class act during his time here at the U. No need to try and read into his message any more than what he put on twitter. He wants remove himself from this messy situation and that is exactly what he has done.

If by moved on you mean joining in the mocking of Barker...and not in the sense that he's moved on from the program

Yes, moved on without Barker. To me, it's pretty clear the Nelson endorses the "you lost me" message from Leber to Barker.

Really? You have quite an imagination to come to that conclusion. That also was one of Barker's problems. He allowed himself to come to all kinds of conclusions that were not there.

How is that mocking anyone? That tweet doesn't call Barker's character into question or even mock him in any manner. Barker didn't follow the tried and true method of recovery from a sprained ankle. Barker didnt do what he was supposed to do in order to come back from injury. Dont be fooled though. The handling of the injury is minimal in this whole ordeal. The underlying reason is being snubbed for a scholarship.

This whole situation was handled 100% wrong. There may have been some actual wrongs done against AJ Barker but this is not the way you bring them to light. He attempted to embarass Coach Kill and the University and instead made himself look selfish and immature.

I think Nelson seen where Barker is coming from and is moving on...Nelson is a leader and a competitor who wants to win...gotta remember what he said his Sr year in HS before getting on campus...Nelson told Barker due to how he has handled his injury, he is not worth listening to.

As for Gray, I think he is being a leader in this. He knows he is not 100% due to his ankle and could not perform at the level he needs to in order to function as the QB. He is doing all he can to help the team win and stay focused. He is leading by example. By the time of the bowl game, Gray should be 100% healthy and give Coach Kill an added advantage in the bowl game.

How is that mocking anyone? That tweet doesn't call Barker's character into question or even mock him in any manner. Barker didn't follow the tried and true method of recovery from a sprained ankle. Barker didnt do what he was supposed to do in order to come back from injury. Dont be fooled though. The handling of the injury is minimal in this whole ordeal. The underlying reason is being snubbed for a scholarship.

This whole situation was handled 100% wrong. There may have been some wrongs done against AJ Barker but this is not the way you bring them to light. He attempted to embarass Coach Kill and the University and instead it made him look selfish and immature.

The handling of the injury is probably the biggest reason he is not, or did not anyway, get the scholarship. Coach Kill and the staff were probably very frustrated with his handling of his injury and tried to provoke him to deal with it appropriately. The team is more concerned with the accomplishment of winning then Barker. Ultimately most know Coach Kill and his staff are trying to get them to play at their best. Barker wanted to be handled with kid gloves and it just is not going over.

The handling of the injury is probably the biggest reason he is not, or did not anyway, get the scholarship. Coach Kill and the staff were probably very frustrated with his handling of his injury and tried to provoke him to deal with it appropriately. The team is more concerned with the accomplishment of winning then Barker. Ultimately most know Coach Kill and his staff are trying to get them to play at their best. Barker wanted to be handled with kid gloves and it just is not going over.

Are you talking Barker's handling or the team's handling of the injury? Just for clarification, I was talking about a scholarship for this year which his current injury wouldnt have affected.

The scholarship? Do we all think Barker earned a scholarship on the first day of classes this semester? This was a RS JR who was battling injuries who had a career 5 catches. We have a handful of current walk-ons who have accomplished just as much (more than) Barker at that time. Heifort has played in a handful of games, Christensen has played a lot, Bak has played a lot, Eldred, etc. etc. Barker earned a scholarship for NEXT year, he has not earned a scholarship going into this year.

If that is why Barker left the team, he's delusional. I think it's a bunch of different things and mostly focused on a mentally fragile kid who wasn't getting his way (trainers, scholarship, starting, being nice to him, girlfriend).

Are you talking Barker's handling or the team's handling of the injury? Just for clarification, I was talking about a scholarship for this year which his current injury wouldnt have affected.

How Barker handled the injury. Obviously speculating, but refusing an MRI and trying to recover his own way may have been due to not wanting to lose out on the scholarship in the first place. Actually as many have pointed out, if it was for this year, it would have had to be given to him before the school year began. The scholarship this year was already given to a kicker. This was for next year.

Actually with the way Barker handled his interviews yesterday, I think he discovered the team was not on his side...maybe an individual or two, but far from the whole team.

How Barker handled the injury. Obviously speculating, but refusing an MRI and trying to recover his own way may have been due to not wanting to lose out on the scholarship in the first place. Actually as many have pointed out, if it was for this year, it would have had to be given to him before the school year began. The scholarship this year was already given to a kicker. This was for next year.

I was talking about Barker being mad at the team being an excuse for the letter with his main intent being snubbed for a scholarship. I agree 100% that Barker handled his injury wrong.

I was talking about Barker being mad at the team being an excuse for the letter with his main intent being snubbed for a scholarship. I agree 100% that Barker handled his injury wrong.

About the only thing that truly seems to sift through all of this is that Barker handled this in probably the worst way imaginable and few football players want to align themselves with him. If anything the teammates do need to stay out of this and stay focused on the task at hand...MSU, especially since a win may improve bowl chances.

If Kill had, at the last minute, taken away that scholarship to give it to Barker after the UNLV game, that would have been a bit of a scandal.

I have seen speculation here that others on the team are on "Barker's side" in this. Is there any basis for that speculation? Barker seems immature and to have handled this really poorly. Even if another player was Barker's friend why would he be on "Barker's side" in this?

If Kill had, at the last minute, taken away that scholarship to give it to Barker after the UNLV game, that would have been a bit of a scandal.

I don't think it crossed anyone's mind that Barker was going to get a scholarship going into this season. Again, coming into the season, he had 2 career catches, he was a RS JR and he was injured alot.

The scholarship? Do we all think Barker earned a scholarship on the first day of classes this semester? This was a RS JR who was battling injuries who had a career 5 catches. We have a handful of current walk-ons who have accomplished just as much (more than) Barker at that time. Heifort has played in a handful of games, Christensen has played a lot, Bak has played a lot, Eldred, etc. etc. Barker earned a scholarship for NEXT year, he has not earned a scholarship going into this year.

If that is why Barker left the team, he's delusional. I think it's a bunch of different things and mostly focused on a mentally fragile kid who wasn't getting his way (trainers, scholarship, starting, being nice to him, girlfriend).

I think he was mad about not getting it this year, but was even more pissed he wasn't being assured one next year (if Kill did say in his practice railing on him that he was never gonna get one, which Kill claims isn't the case). So it was kinda two layered, he was already pissed, and then the last incident where Kill allegedly told him he was dime a dozen and would never get a scholly, that pushed him over. Now this is where the "manipulation" comes in, cause then he talks about Kill doing the "love you" routine after he just went off on him. Personally, I don't see how that's anything different than a parent going off and then later coming back and doing that. My guess, if Barker doesn't go off the rails, he heals up, balls out in the bowl game, gets his scholarship, and all is well. But obviously that's not an option now.

I have seen speculation here that others on the team are on "Barker's side" in this. Is there any basis for that speculation? Barker seems immature and to have handled this really poorly. Even if another player was Barker's friend why would he be on "Barker's side" in this?

He may well have overestimated his support for his position, expecially after his tirade.

I don't think it crossed anyone's mind that Barker was going to get a scholarship going into this season. Again, coming into the season, he had 2 career catches, he was a RS JR and he was injured alot.

Agreed, there was no reason to expect a scholarship coming into this season. And after the UNLV game, it just wouldn't have been reasonable to take a scholarship away at the last minute from someone else to give it to him.

The players may well have felt that he should get a scholarship for next season. That doesn't mean they argeed with his tirade or with giving up on the team. Next season is a long ways off, he may well have gotten a scholarship for next season. Kill wouldn't commit to it now, but there would have been more than enough time to transfer later. It could wait until the season was over.

He may well have overestimated his support for his position, expecially after his tirade.

Agreed, there was no reason to expect a scholarship coming into this season. And after the UNLV game, it just wouldn't have been reasonable to take a scholarship away at the last minute from someone else to give it to him.

The players may well have felt that he should get a scholarship for next season. That doesn't mean they argeed with his tirade or with giving up on the team. Next season is a long ways off, he may well have gotten a scholarship for next season. Kill wouldn't commit to it now, but there would have been more than enough time to transfer later. It could wait until the season was over.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Before the Iowa game didn't Barker essentially insinuate he acheived a lot of this because he was motivated to prove to his high school coach that he could play DI? May be Kill thought Barker was motivated by people telling him he can't do something. Kill tried that tactic and rather than fight through it Barker crumbled. Kill misread the situation and ended up pushing Barker more than he could handle?

I am curious as to how often do walk on players earn a scholarship before their senior year if at all? I would also be curious as to what Derek Engel thinks about this situation, being a jr walk on wr himself who has also been a productive member on this team. The more I hear the more I think Kill did nothing wrong and Barker made a huge mistake with this whole thing. The whole thing wouldn't have even been a story 10 years ago.

Top Bottom