Nebraska 2021 Schedule Update .... opening game vs ... Fordham....

Messing with the karma of Vince Lombardi and the “Seven blocks of granite.”

I was wondering how long it would take for a "seven blocks of granite" reference.

a few fun facts:
from 1929 to 1942, Fordham won 78% of its games - second to Alabama in major college football. One poll in 1929 named Fordham as the 'mythical' National Champions, but most polls picked Notre Dame.

the program was suspended during WWII. after the war, football was de-emphasized. Football was later dropped in 1954. it returned as a club program, then became a D3 program in the 1970's. it moved up to 1-AA in 1989. since then, Fordham has won 3 Patriot League championships and made several appearances in the FCS playoffs.

they were 4-8 in 2019.

I was wondering how long it would take for a "seven blocks of granite" reference.

a few fun facts:
from 1929 to 1942, Fordham won 78% of its games - second to Alabama in major college football. One poll in 1929 named Fordham as the 'mythical' National Champions, but most polls picked Notre Dame.

the program was suspended during WWII. after the war, football was de-emphasized. Football was later dropped in 1954. it returned as a club program, then became a D3 program in the 1970's. it moved up to 1-AA in 1989. since then, Fordham has won 3 Patriot League championships and made several appearances in the FCS playoffs.

they were 4-8 in 2019.
That’s how I saw this too. Always think of them as College Football legends. I didn’t know they were a casaulty of WW2 and thought they just faded from power like us.

a few fun facts:

they were 4-8 in 2019.
My mind is blown that there was a solid decade of human history in which Minnesota and Fordham could have met at Jerryworld in January for a national title

a few fun facts:

they were 4-8 in 2019.
Fitting they will beat the modern "Mythical National Champions" or "Conference Champions" or "Conference Division Champions" - or, I don't know - maybe "State Champions".

Honestly, if Fordham doesn't beat Shitbraska, they should fold their program.

Fitting they will beat the modern "Mythical National Champions" or "Conference Champions" or "Conference Division Champions" - or, I don't know - maybe "State Champions".

Honestly, if Fordham doesn't beat Shitbraska, they should fold their program.
Fordham was 4-8 in 2019 against middling strength FCS teams. No fall 2020 games; played 3 games this spring. If Fordham so much as plays a decent game against Nebraska, there will be rumblings in Lincoln. If the truly unthinkable happens, and Rutgers upsets Nebraska, Moos and Frost better head for the hills. I understand the reasons for Nebraska plugging in a fluff home game early in the schedule ($$ and hauling in recruits to watch), but it poses some weird risks if Nebraska plays a poor game against a middling FCS team. There is a highly-likely, but limited upside to this game; the potential downside, though extremely improbable, is almost unlimited.

Nebraska probably wins by 3 TDs and is ranked the following week.
Nebraska could lose its opener to Illinois. It's in Champaign and Nebraska travels poorly. Then Nebraska demolishes Fordham, and beats Buffalo in a closer game, before getting curb-stomped by Oklahoma. In October, Nebraska has a three game stretch against Northwestern, Michigan and Minnesota. In November, final three games are tOSU, Wisconsin, Iowa (bye after tOSU). "Easy" games between are Michigan State and Purdue. If Nebraska hasn't improved over last year, there are a lot of potential loses on the calendar. Moos's prediction of 8-9 wins looks very aggressive unless the team has really turned the corner riding some fresh talent.

Last edited:

As far as I know McNeese State actually exists ... I'm kinda skeptical for Fordham's existence....
I can vouch Fordham does exist and it's main campus is in The Bronx as one of my fellow parishioners works there in the financial office.

I cannot verify if they have a varsity football team however.

So in other words Fordham is like the University of Chicago? A former member of the Big Ten and elite academically but they moved down to play D3 football.

I wish we could bring U Chicago back as an associate hockey member.
Just need to convince Northwestern to add Mens and Womens hockey programs. It definitely could build strong programs pretty quickly.

Just need to convince Northwestern to add Mens and Womens hockey programs. It definitely could build strong programs pretty quickly.
Good point except no one gives a crap about hockey.
No casual fan watches the sport.

Like many, I heard Illinois is adding hockey someday soon but maybe that is delayed due to COVID budget concerns.

Yep so they swapped a direction Louisiana late in the year for an early season cupcake instead. Looks like they do gain a week off after getting beat down from Ohio State before taking on Wisconsin and Iowa so I guess that will be good for them.
They still have to pay SE Louisiana $600K for the non-game plus $500K to Fordham for showing up. Some expenses involved in schedule re-arrangements.

Top Bottom