NDSU or Iowa

I don't care about NDSU, they might as well play pop warner if you aren't FBS.

I hate Iowa - guess I'm cheering for the meteor.

I don't let other people enjoying their team bother me.

I don't know if you understand...last year someone wrote an article to the Fargo newspaper explaining why NDSU would beat Alabama and they published it. I posted it in another thread.

There are plenty of normal fans here but far too many who have no grip of reality. Every Friday when I'm wearing Gopher gear at work I'm told multiple times I need to "start cheering for the better team." If that wouldn't eventually bother you you're a bigger man than me.

With all that said I only cheer for Iowa in one situation...when they play Wisconsin.

I don't know if you understand...last year someone wrote an article to the Fargo newspaper explaining why NDSU would beat Alabama and they published it. I posted it in another thread.

There are plenty of normal fans here but far too many who have no grip of reality. Every Friday when I'm wearing Gopher gear at work I'm told multiple times I need to "start cheering for the better team." If that wouldn't eventually bother you you're a bigger man than me.

With all that said I only cheer for Iowa in one situation...when they play Wisconsin.

Someone write something in the paper....and people talked to you.

That doesn't sound bad at all.

I want Iowa to stomp NDSU, shuts up those trolls that think the Bison are a B1G level team. We and a couple others will take care of Iowa later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This!

I want Iowa to stomp NDSU, shuts up those trolls that think the Bison are a B1G level team. We and a couple others will take care of Iowa later.

This is the correct answer.

The greatest responsibility in my life right now is raising my kids into today's society. Those with young kids will realize the struggle is real. Each and every day my wife and I stress compassion, kindness, doing the right thing when no one else is looking. We don't let our kids HATE things or people.

But.... I've also got the responsibility to show my kids, especially my 8 year old son, that as a Gopher fan you NEVER cheer for Iowa or Wisconsin. We allow our children to fluently use the word
HATE one day a year - As in Who ____ Iowa? We ____ Iowa!

That being said there are exceptions to the rule. This Saturday will be one of them. There isn't a fanbase in this galaxy that I loathe more than NDSU. Go Hawks!

The Bison need to be crushed by Iowa. Try living near their fan base and you will understand.

Must root for Iowa. When we beat 'em I want it to mean something. I can see the Strib now, "Why all the cheer? Iowa couldn't even beat NDSU.

I know people are very invested in this topic, but I ALWAYS root Big Ten in non-conference and bowl games. As much as it hurts, makes our wins as a team, and conference, hold more weight.

Hope NDSU wins. Then we can recruit PWO's to come to a D1 Program and beat Iowa every year.

This is a sad day for Gopher Nation. Sounds like some of you need to move to Iowa.

This is NDSU's big chance. They're not getting a down on their luck/going through transition team like the Gophers or a Kansas State team breaking in new starters. They're getting a strong, veteran Iowa team which has no excuses. They're not taking them likely, like so many have done to the I-AA's....

I loathe Iowa & their fans, but in this case, for me, the Big Ten card trumps NDSU. If Iowa plays their normal game, it should be a 3 TD margin, minimum. But we've all seen Iowa play down to teams before ('10 & '11 @ TCF come instantly to mind).

Frankly, I hope Iowa puts up 80 on the Bison, and we should then be able to remove them from being a topic of any future Gopherhole conversations.

They just gave up 44 points to Eastern Washington and won each of their first two FCS games by the skin of their teeth. And their fans have the audacity to feel confident going into Iowa City? I predict a long ride home to FCS realityville, and look forward to putting this topic to bed.

It's weird that I can't seem to find betting lines for this game. Sagarin would suggest an 18-point spread. I hope the Hogeyes double that.

NDSU last 5 wins against FBS teams the combined record of those teams were 20-41. I hope Iowa wins 35-0 and shuts up the NDSU fans.

Who cares about NDSU? They don't matter. Who cares about what teeny tiny impact an Iowa loss in September will have on the "national perception" of the B1G West? Yawn. No one thinks that hard about it. Silly Silly Silly.

You root for Iowa to lose. If you aren't or if you are unsure then you need to see a (non ER) Doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who cares about NDSU? They don't matter. Who cares about what teeny tiny impact an Iowa loss in September will have on the "national perception" of the B1G West? Yawn. No one thinks that hard about it. Silly Silly Silly.

You root for Iowa to lose. If you aren't or if you are unsure then you need to see a (non ER) Doctor.

That's great for people in the Cities. But if you've been unfortunate enough to live in or near Fargo - even in west-central or northwestern Minnesota, then you've lived a life saturated with NDSU on the radio, NDSU on TV, NDSU in the daily paper, NDSU around the water cooler, NDSU in the breakroom, NDSU in your social media...and the worst thing is these people honestly believe that because they've beaten Kansas State or Minnesota (in a year that the coach got fired) that means they're the best team in the land. And they can't understand why you don't agree! We are strangers in a strange land, man.

If it ain't hell, it's hell-ish.

and the worst thing is these people honestly believe that because they've beaten Kansas State or Minnesota (in a year that the coach got fired) that means they're the best team in the land.
2007 was Brew's first year and 2011 was Kill's first year. Judging by this thread it's an absolute shame we scheduled Indiana State and Colorado State and not NDSU.

Couldn't disagree more. Iowa with an FCS loss absolutely enters into the strength of schedule calculations, and thus affecting how Gophs are ranked and perceived at the end of the season. If the Gophs end up losing at home to an Iowa team that lost to an FCS opponent at home, it will absolutely hurt the Gophs, no question.

Couldn't disagree more. Iowa with an FCS loss absolutely enters into the strength of schedule calculations, and thus affecting how Gophs are ranked and perceived at the end of the season. If the Gophs end up losing at home to an Iowa team that lost to an FCS opponent at home, it will absolutely hurt the Gophs, no question.

I think that depends on ... how much that matters.

I think it matters if you go by folks looking at the stats closely.

But I also think the bigger issue for anyone outside of us isn't quite looking at it that granularly as much as if MN can beat either of the quadrangle ... at all. It's possible it's a push either way and just being able to beat Iowa or another upper half West team is what drives a ranking or perception.

Folks doing super granular SOS calculations are really more concerned with playoffs and etc, not us.

NDSU can have this one. I hate Iowa, don't really care about Bison and their JVships. However Iowa will be playing their backups in the 4th quarter, but good luck Bison, this is your chance to back up your smack talk. These guys aren't Iowa State or the gophers of 2007 or 2011. Kansas State was a decent win, but they wound up underachieving and not really deserving of that top 25 ranking.

If it's the difference between the Foster Farms Bowl and Pinstripe, who cares? I'd maybe care a little bit if the difference came down to Music City and Outback. That would be small consolation though.

2007 was Brew's first year and 2011 was Kill's first year. Judging by this thread it's an absolute shame we scheduled Indiana State and Colorado State and not NDSU.

"We"? Aren't you a big NDSU football fan?

"We"? Aren't you a big NDSU football fan?

both. I think I'm entitled to that as most of the people here think they're not a rival. Maybe they're right since I don't believe the gophers have lost a recruiting battle where both schools offered scholarships.

NDSU aside (because I understand the annoyance factor and feel for Gopher fans who work/live close to NDSU fans), I don't understand the obsession with how our conference is viewed on the national scene. I don't give a rat's butt cheek if we are ranked or not. Until we become a national contender, I don't care if the B1G is the strongest or the weakest of the P5 conferences.

I want to win the B1G and beat our rivals, which we can do without worrying about whether Wisconsin or Iowa is having a down or up year. I don't care if we are ranked, or how many votes we get each week, or if we are in the "playoff conversation." If we win the B1G and beat our rivals, everything else falls into place. I have to imagine that having our rivals go 0-4 (or 0-3 now) OOC is a better thing than having them go undefeated OOC (e.g. confidence and momentum) if that is our goal.

Is the St. Johns/ St. Thomas rivalry is any less satisfying to watch because those teams play in the MIAC? Why do we care if the B1G is strong or not? You might say recruiting? Isn't it all relative? Wouldn't a rising tide (a strong B1G) lift all boats and a lowering tide (weak B1G) lower all boats (e.g. recruiting, dollars)?

It just seems to me this is one of those "who has the biggest truck" type conversations. I really don't get it.

We have been conditioned by ESPN/FOX/etc to care about the playoff race above everything else (quality wins, votes, etc). I just don't get it. Again, if we beat our rivals, everything else falls into place. Quality wins might get you a better bowl, but again, if we run the table and beat our rivals (Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin), that's not going to matter to me.

I'll prepare for an onslaught of "accepting mediocrity" posts - which is not what I'm saying. Anyone else feel the same?

I'd love Iowa to suffer the humiliation of losing this one, but it will still be a pain to have to listen to a year of NDSU fans thinking they are good and citing some obscure computer ranking to try to justify their relevance.

I'd love Iowa to suffer the humiliation of losing this one, but it will still be a pain to have to listen to a year of NDSU fans thinking they are good and citing some obscure computer ranking to try to justify their relevance.
What's the computer matter anymore after you've beaten a team in the top 15?

Top Bottom