NDSU HC leaving for USC assistant role

Man, I've been around a bunch. I've lived all over the country (PA, California, Texas, etc.). There are some delusional fans all over the country.

Who do you think is anywhere near as delusional as NDSU fans?

Please don't come with Nebraska nonsense, they've been beaten down over the years. Please don't come with Penn State BS, they are a top 15 program that thinks it's a top 8 program (delusional, but not delusional on the level of NDSU).

NDSU is the fandom equivalent of "my dad's the toughest man on the earth".
Bob speaks the truth.

Hard to actually fathom a dollar amount that would make it worth living in CA. It boggles the mind
It would depend on where you lived, and how much money you had and what the alternative is. In general, I don't love California, but if I was a bazillionaire, and had a mansion on the ocean in Malibu, or a place up in the canyon above LA, I could handle that.

And if it was a choice between living in CA or ND, that's not much of a choice.

It would depend on where you lived, and how much money you had and what the alternative is. In general, I don't love California, but if I was a bazillionaire, and had a mansion on the ocean in Malibu, or a place up in the canyon above LA, I could handle that.

And if it was a choice between living in CA or ND, that's not much of a choice.
I lived just outside LA, I’ll take Fargo…

OK, just kidding. Too cold and windy. That’s why I live down here in St. Paul. The tall buildings help block the wind and the urban heat island effect warms things up!

If the Bizon actually find the nutsack to move up, as they should’ve done already years ago, the. I’ll pay attention to their fans.

So far their admin has come up with every excuse in the book. Even though Liberty has proven that you can do it without a conf invite and they’re already now (pure BS) in a NY6 bowl.

I went to college across the river. I had a great time, still have good friends up there, and there are things I love about the area. But I had no intention of staying after I graduated.
What did you like about the area? Nothing to do, bad food in the few restaurants had to go to scheels to get a decent entertainment. I spent 2 years
I went to college across the river. I had a great time, still have good friends up there, and there are things I love about the area. But I had no intention of staying after I graduated.
what did you like there.?It’s a terrible city. Bad restaurants, nothing to do.

You are allowed to cross the river …

It’s not like they expel you if you do.

What did you like about the area? Nothing to do, bad food in the few restaurants had to go to scheels to get a decent entertainment. I spent 2 years

what did you like there.?It’s a terrible city. Bad restaurants, nothing to do.
Maybe it's just nostalgia from the fun of college, though the times I've been back I've been impressed with how the city (Fargo, not Moorhead) has grown. I think what I liked about it was that it's kind of a smaller version of the Twin Cities area in that pretty much everything you'd want is there. I don't think I could have handled going to school in a really isolated rural town, like say, Morris, or even Bemidji. I loved, and still do love, the wide open spaces of North Dakota as well.

I will say that Moorhead, which was never great to begin with, has really gone downhill in the past 20 years.

Maybe it's just nostalgia from the fun of college, though the times I've been back I've been impressed with how the city (Fargo, not Moorhead) has grown. I think what I liked about it was that it's kind of a smaller version of the Twin Cities area in that pretty much everything you'd want is there. I don't think I could have handled going to school in a really isolated rural town, like say, Morris, or even Bemidji. I loved, and still do love, the wide open spaces of North Dakota as well.

I will say that Moorhead, which was never great to begin with, has really gone downhill in the past 20 years.
So you enjoyed attending a cultural waste land for your college years?

Pj should make him a DC offer. Eye for an Eye since they flipped Jide

So you enjoyed attending a cultural waste land for your college years?
I don’t know how I would have enjoyed college without being able to see the new exhibits at the Walker and catching an opera or two. I would have been stuck just hanging with friends, drinking beer, partying in college bars. That sounds horrible.

I don’t know how I would have enjoyed college without being able to see the new exhibits at the Walker and catching an opera or two. I would have been stuck just hanging with friends, drinking beer, partying in college bars. That sounds horrible.
Well done. I was kind of wondering what kind of college student goes to fancy restaurants.

If the guy hunts and fishes going to school in the Dakotas is great.
My cousin was career Air Force. One of his postings was the missile base in Minot. He loved it for that reason.

Who do you think is anywhere near as delusional as NDSU fans?

Please don't come with Nebraska nonsense, they've been beaten down over the years.
I think NDSU fans should pay attention to Nebraska... it's what they've got to look forward to. They'll hang on to past glory just like the clodhoppers to the south, and they'll also have to face the fact that their football world will never be what it once was. Those days are most likely gone. Too much competition for players that used to be automatic "gets" for them... Also, in a few years, St. Thomas will be off probation and will undoubtedly cut into that pipeline of Minnesota kids that flock to NDSU each year (20-30 players each season from MN.)

I think NDSU fans should pay attention to Nebraska... it's what they've got to look forward to. They'll hang on to past glory just like the clodhoppers to the south, and they'll also have to face the fact that their football world will never be what it once was. Those days are most likely gone. Too much competition for players that used to be automatic "gets" for them... Also, in a few years, St. Thomas will be off probation and will undoubtedly cut into that pipeline of Minnesota kids that flock to NDSU each year (20-30 players each season from MN.)
I absolutely thought and hoped this would happen when they moved up from D2, but it didn't happen.

I absolutely thought and hoped this would happen when they moved up from D2, but it didn't happen.
It's happening... 2 teams in SD stealing their lunch money... UND and Northern Iowa still being pests... St. Thomas moving up might really hurt NDSU if they can convince some of those MN kids that an education here is much more desirable than one from Fargo. It's going to get real interesting for the Bison.

NDSU is and will be a top 5 program. It will be extremely difficult to win 9 natties in 11 years, but they will almost always be in contention. Even in a down year with 3 losses, they are in the final 4. SDSU primarily has cut into that dominance, but NDSU just has too many advantages at the FCS level to drop to a middling status.

St Thomas plays non-scholarship Pioneer Leage football. The winner of of the Pioneer League, Drake, lost to SDSU by 63 earlier this season, by 50 something to NDSU in the playoffs and to NAIA Northwestern (IA). If a kid wants to play meaningful football, he's not choosing St Thomas and St. Thomas won't be a factor affecting MVFC teams.

St Thomas plays non-scholarship Pioneer Leage football. The winner of of the Pioneer League, Drake, lost to SDSU by 63 earlier this season, by 50 something to NDSU in the playoffs and to NAIA Northwestern (IA). If a kid wants to play meaningful football, he's not choosing St Thomas and St. Thomas won't be a factor affecting MVFC teams.
Yep... and not long ago, they were playing DIII football. In the last couple of seasons, while on probation, they've been crushing Pioneer teams (with one loss to Drake) using essentially DIII players. How long until they're politely asked to move on from the Pioneer League? If St. Thomas jumps to the Missouri Valley Football Conference, NDSU will be in trouble. That school does rely on MN players to fill out their roster, year after year. Finally, there is a FCS alternative for kids to stay home. Granted, St. Thomas won't be a real viable alternative until they step up and start offering football scholarships... but how long before they're basically forced to do it? It'll be interesting to see what happens when they're through the silly probationary period that the NCAA is forcing them to endure.

Even if St. Thomas ends up remaining in the Pioneer League, the fact that the SD schools have been beating NDSU at their own game means that the Bison are never going to be what they were... much like Nebraska. Maybe they'll both eventually settle for a good to great season every few years. Neither are likely to return to their glory years, though. Competition for players has gotten quite competitive... and don't think that the transfer portal won't start hurting NDSU as well. Good players might stay in Fargo, but the great ones will be chasing the NIL money.

It's happening... 2 teams in SD stealing their lunch money... UND and Northern Iowa still being pests... St. Thomas moving up might really hurt NDSU if they can convince some of those MN kids that an education here is much more desirable than one from Fargo. It's going to get real interesting for the Bison.
And yet, after a supposedly disastrous season, NDSU is right back in a national semi-final?

Have better football facilities than probably bottom third to half of FBS.

Probably one of the few FCS with a decent collective for some NIL.

Really doubt that ND, MN, and WI kids of that level of recruit aren’t having them in their top 2-3 schools.

SD, NE, Iowa kids on the other hand, might be more likely to consider SD schools now. UNI has always been around and I don’t think have ever regained a spot of “mattering” in the MVFC since the Dakotas came to prominence.

UNI, like Drake and the rest of the MVC members who also play FCS football, care first and foremost about basketball and Arch Madness.

Drake is what St Thomas would like to get to as a middle ground goal. High end mid-major with competitive non-scholarship football.

If getting to the long term goal of the Big East faster means forgoing scholarship FCS, I’m certain they would prioritize it that way.

SD, NE, Iowa kids on the other hand, might be more likely to consider SD schools now. UNI has always been around and I don’t think have ever regained a spot of “mattering” in the MVFC since the Dakotas came to prominence.
SDSU has really nice facilities now. The one thing different about their program, is they're the only one of the Dakota four that play outside. I would think that could be seen as a positive or a negative depending on your perspective.

Agree that SDSU does have very nice facilities.

NDSU’s are a step better.

They have a football-dedicated IPF. SDSU’s is multi-sport with an indoor track around (and slightly cutting off) the football field.

I disagree for their situations that playing outdoors is superior. They (SDSU) could simply never afford to build a Fargodome equivalent on campus. They could in SF, but not sure they’d want to play every game there.

Later games the bitter cold/wind really cuts down on fans, like it or not.

Agree that SDSU does have very nice facilities.

NDSU’s are a step better.

They have a football-dedicated IPF. SDSU’s is multi-sport with an indoor track around (and slightly cutting off) the football field.

I disagree for their situations that playing outdoors is superior. They (SDSU) could simply never afford to build a Fargodome equivalent on campus. They could in SF, but not sure they’d want to play every game there.

Later games the bitter cold/wind really cuts down on fans, like it or not.
In the early season when it's nicer, playing outdoors is a benefit. Football in the Fargodome is like watching a game in a dismal warehouse. It's really a strange environment.

Some might say that the cold weather is a benefit for the playoffs if some warmer climate team has to come up here. I don't know if that's really true.

It's really odd that USD has a dome in tiny Vermillion, and has had it since the 1980's or so.

Yep... and not long ago, they were playing DIII football. In the last couple of seasons, while on probation, they've been crushing Pioneer teams (with one loss to Drake) using essentially DIII players. How long until they're politely asked to move on from the Pioneer League? If St. Thomas jumps to the Missouri Valley Football Conference, NDSU will be in trouble. That school does rely on MN players to fill out their roster, year after year. Finally, there is a FCS alternative for kids to stay home. Granted, St. Thomas won't be a real viable alternative until they step up and start offering football scholarships... but how long before they're basically forced to do it? It'll be interesting to see what happens when they're through the silly probationary period that the NCAA is forcing them to endure.

Even if St. Thomas ends up remaining in the Pioneer League, the fact that the SD schools have been beating NDSU at their own game means that the Bison are never going to be what they were... much like Nebraska. Maybe they'll both eventually settle for a good to great season every few years. Neither are likely to return to their glory years, though. Competition for players has gotten quite competitive... and don't think that the transfer portal won't start hurting NDSU as well. Good players might stay in Fargo, but the great ones will be chasing the NIL money.
Moving to the MVFC would be an enormous jump for the Tommies, I don't see it happening for at least 15 years.

Top Bottom