NDSU HC leaving for USC assistant role

I suspect that he will be getting a pay raise.

Resigning at end of season. Will coach out. Becoming LB coach at USC.

Minnesota recently took the sitting head coach, playoff-level, from New Hampshire and made him the DB coach. Minnesota!

I think he was making $140K or something at UNH then. Minnesota about doubled his salary if I remember right. I'm sure HC at NDSU paid more than $140K, but probably not as much as the LB coach at USC.

Also some guys can get pigeonholed as small college coaches even if they are really good. At age 51, Matt Entz has never coached or played or been a part of any program above the FCS level (per Wikipedia). He might just want to experience a big time, big city program for once in his football life, or might also hope it's the open door he needs to swing his way to a P5 head job in a few years.

I would do everything I could to move away from Fargo.
I went to college across the river. I had a great time, still have good friends up there, and there are things I love about the area. But I had no intention of staying after I graduated.

Minnesota recently took the sitting head coach, playoff-level, from New Hampshire and made him the DB coach. Minnesota!

I think he was making $140K or something at UNH then. Minnesota about doubled his salary if I remember right. I'm sure HC at NDSU paid more than $140K, but probably not as much as the LB coach at USC.

Also some guys can get pigeonholed as small college coaches even if they are really good. At age 51, Matt Entz has never coached or played or been a part of any program above the FCS level (per Wikipedia). He might just want to experience a big time, big city program for once in his football life, or might also hope it's the open door he needs to swing his way to a P5 head job in a few years.
Matt Entz NDSU base salary of $400,000. Assume with incentives and ancillary income probably get's him close to $500,000.

USC is private, so they don't have to publish salaries. In the same market, UCLA assistants seem to get 300-900k. I'd guess Entz gets a modest raise, less responsibility, and better weather.

Does he get free tuition for kids?
Nice perk, if he has them and they are that age, from an excellent university.

I bet there has to be something in the agreement for housing allowance because yes, a 3 bed ranch house will cost a cool million at least.
A cot in the physical therapy room? Or maybe a dorm room with with a food plan.

USC is private, so they don't have to publish salaries. In the same market, UCLA assistants seem to get 300-900k. I'd guess Entz gets a modest raise, less responsibility, and better weather.
Given UCLA's financial dumpster fire, USC's expectations and Lincoln Riley's demands, I'd suspect USC's assistants do a fair bit better than UCLA's assistants. The biggest benefit Entz will realize is a fan base with a better grasp of reality.

Entz's title is apparently something to the effect of "Assistant Head Coach for Defense/Linebackers." Whether that actually means something more than a position coach or not, who knows?

Given UCLA's financial dumpster fire, USC's expectations and Lincoln Riley's demands, I'd suspect USC's assistants do a fair bit better than UCLA's assistants. The biggest benefit Entz will realize is a fan base with a better grasp of reality.

Entz's title is apparently something to the effect of "Assistant Head Coach for Defense/Linebackers." Whether that actually means something more than a position coach or not, who knows?
Entz is a position and recruiting hire for the Midwest.

Good point, and a good hire with them coming into the B1G - I hadn't thought of that.
Likely similar to the Rossi hire. These west coast teams will be looking for some B1G ties.

Wonder if he did not like getting S on by Bizon fans for losing three MVFC games, ie not going 11-0.

They probably think they will do much better.

Wonder if he did not like getting S on by Bizon fans for losing three MVFC games, ie not going 11-0.

They probably think they will do much better.
Entirely possible. One of my good friends is a bison fan, and he doesn't like Entz, and apparently a lot of people don't.

Wonder if they give him the same intro they gave Riley

folks in fargo aren't exactly upset. from his standpoint it's a pay raise with less spotlight on him and amazingly a less unreasonable fan base.

folks in fargo aren't exactly upset. from his standpoint it's a pay raise with less spotlight on him and amazingly a less unreasonable fan base.
People in Fargo don't even really think it's a step up in competition. It's the most deluded fan base I've ever been around. As much as I rip on our roadkill lovin bathroom stall cuckin neighbors to the south and east, the folks up in Fargo are the strangest ones to me.

People in Fargo don't even really think it's a step up in competition. It's the most deluded fan base I've ever been around. As much as I rip on our roadkill lovin bathroom stall cuckin neighbors to the south and east, the folks up in Fargo are the strangest ones to me.
If Bison fans are the "most deluded" you've ever been around, you need to get acquainted with more fan bases.

If Bison fans are the "most deluded" you've ever been around, you need to get acquainted with more fan bases.
Man, I've been around a bunch. I've lived all over the country (PA, California, Texas, etc.). There are some delusional fans all over the country.

Who do you think is anywhere near as delusional as NDSU fans?

Please don't come with Nebraska nonsense, they've been beaten down over the years. Please don't come with Penn State BS, they are a top 15 program that thinks it's a top 8 program (delusional, but not delusional on the level of NDSU).

NDSU is the fandom equivalent of "my dad's the toughest man on the earth".

Top Bottom