NBADraft.net has Oturu going 8th in the 2020 draft updated today

If they watch the Rutgers game they’ll see he isn’t physically ready to even be a roll player in the NBA...not fast or strong enough yet. Getting bullied by the Rutgers bigs.

If Oturu is even top 20, why come back? The draft will be much stronger next year and then there's always a chance of an injury. And our team isn't exactly setting the world on fire...it's not like we're a championship team next year.
There's always insurance if you're worried about injuries.

He got physically dominated today. There's no doubt he can still benefit from another year and getting stronger, IMO.

In what way did he get physically dominated? A lot of his touches came out around the arc or in the mid range for much of the game and while he’s capable, asking a 6’10 guy to create off the dribble that much is asking a lot especially when there’s bad spacing due to poor outside shooting. We started feeding him a bit more in the post in the second half and he had success. His man hit a couple shots but was largely kept quiet. I think a bigger issue is he’s the only one hitting the boards. The Rutgers guards had 30 of their 45 rebounds. Demir and Omersa combined for 7. That’s not an Oturu issue, that’s a team issue and it’s something that needs to be addressed. At the end of the day, an off game for Oturu is finishing with 19 and 9.

In what way did he get physically dominated? A lot of his touches came out around the arc or in the mid range for much of the game and while he’s capable, asking a 6’10 guy to create off the dribble that much is asking a lot especially when there’s bad spacing due to poor outside shooting. We started feeding him a bit more in the post in the second half and he had success. His man hit a couple shots but was largely kept quiet. I think a bigger issue is he’s the only one hitting the boards. The Rutgers guards had 30 of their 45 rebounds. Demir and Omersa combined for 7. That’s not an Oturu issue, that’s a team issue and it’s something that needs to be addressed. At the end of the day, an off game for Oturu is finishing with 19 and 9.
It's not Oturu's fault, it is the whole team's fault, including Oturu. He got boxed out of offensive boards several times where Johnson and others beat him. This is one of the first games where this has happened to him- but it did happen. He also never got posted up down low. He was getting pushed out by Rutgers.

It's not Oturu's fault, it is the whole team's fault, including Oturu. He got boxed out of offensive boards several times where Johnson and others beat him. This is one of the first games where this has happened to him- but it did happen. He also never got posted up down low. He was getting pushed out by Rutgers.
I didn't think it was Oturo or the Gophers not playing well; in this game just give Rutgers credit, they played REALLY hard and played well. A road win against this Rutgers team is a lot to ask. The Rutgers defensive scheme also showed that Oturo still has plenty of room to continue to learn and develop.

If you want to play in the NBA and are guaranteed a first round draft choice I see no benefit playing another year of college ball. NBA doesn't give a rat's a$$ about readiness, they draft on potential and would much rather "develop" a players skills in the NBA. They probably figure that there is learning and development that has to occur specific to the NBA game and is the reason they want players a year or two out of high school.

But the NBA is a grind and a full time job, if Oturu isn't ready for that and enjoys the college experience then he should return for another year, it's not about NBA readiness and developing while in college if you are guaranteed to be a first round draft choice though.

If you want to play in the NBA and are guaranteed a first round draft choice I see no benefit playing another year of college ball. NBA doesn't give a rat's a$$ about readiness, they draft on potential and would much rather "develop" a players skills in the NBA. They probably figure that there is learning and development that has to occur specific to the NBA game and is the reason they want players a year or two out of high school.

But the NBA is a grind and a full time job, if Oturu isn't ready for that and enjoys the college experience then he should return for another year, it's not about NBA readiness and developing while in college if you are guaranteed to be a first round draft choice though.
The sad part is that I don't think it is so much that the NBA wants to develop the players themselves, I think it is more so that they are just trying to grab the highest end talent possible before anyone else does. I wish that players could get drafted, paid their bonus for signing, be assured of their 1st round pay and then continue to play at the college level when that is appropriate.

I really don't see Oturu as a true center in the NBA. To me he is more of a 4 with his improved outside shot and his ability to put it on the floor. He could play the 5 for small ball with 20 more lbs of muscle.

I really like how much he has improved getting his shot off. As a freshman he would often get his shot blocked by defenders. Rarely happens now. His footwork is the key. That and he doesn't bring the ball down to his knees anymore. That was one of my concerns when considering if he would be a good pro or not. Tough to make in the NBA if you can't get your shots off. I would love it if he came back for another year, but he has improved soooo much, I just don't see it.

If they watch the Rutgers game they’ll see he isn’t physically ready to even be a roll player in the NBA...not fast or strong enough yet. Getting bullied by the Rutgers bigs.
He's plenty strong and fast. Did he have a bit of a down game? Maybe. But the kid is good. He has an outside shot now that will probably keep developing.

I want him back, but I doubt he decides to stay. It's sad because the NBA is such a garbage product, but it is where the money is.

This is a weak NBA draft.

Well, one never knows until a draft class gets a few years in the league but, at this point, I would agree that this draft appears that way. A good example is the 2007 draft vs. the 2008 draft. The 2007 draft was heralded by many as "generational" but, on the whole, it probably wasn't as good as the draft that followed it.

Hmm. I clearly said "lottery". Not sure if you dont read too good or maybe you don't what the NBA lottery is?

See, the NBA has a lottery every year for its first 13 picks. If a player was said to be picked in the lottery, that would mean he went somewhere 1 to 13.

Apparently, you're a little shaky on the definition yourself. The NBA has 30 teams and 16 go to the playoffs. The 14 (not 13) teams who don't are the lottery teams.

I know you love to insult people but you should try to get your facts straight first. Nasty and ignorant is an extremely unattractive combination.

Apparently, you're a little shaky on the definition yourself. The NBA has 30 teams and 16 go to the playoffs. The 14 (not 13) teams who don't are the lottery teams.

I know you love to insult people but you should try to get your facts straight first. Nasty and ignorant is an extremely unattractive combination.

Oooh, super bad burn. You got me. I wouldn't say "ignorant" is being off by 1. Maybe mistaken or misinformed, sure. Pretty sure it was 13 before they added teams, but either way I was off.

That aside, my point in response to that poster still stands. I clearly said if Oturu was a lottery pick, that would benefit the program. Whether that means 13 or 14 picks, I was clear on my point and he brought up RICK RICKERT as counter. "Ignorant" would be bringing Rickert into a lottery conversation. Thanks

Oooh, super bad burn. You got me. I wouldn't say "ignorant" is being off by 1. Maybe mistaken or misinformed, sure. Pretty sure it was 13 before they added teams, but either way I was off.

That aside, my point in response to that poster still stands. I clearly said if Oturu was a lottery pick, that would benefit the program. Whether that means 13 or 14 picks, I was clear on my point and he brought up RICK RICKERT as counter. "Ignorant" would be bringing Rickert into a lottery conversation. Thanks

Lighten up Francis. You're arguing with someone who is delirious from the flu.

He's plenty strong and fast. Did he have a bit of a down game? Maybe. But the kid is good. He has an outside shot now that will probably keep developing.

I want him back, but I doubt he decides to stay. It's sad because the NBA is such a garbage product, but it is where the money is.

The NBA IS a garbage product with teams now jacking up 50 3s a game. NCAA basketball is also hard to watch since all the best players leave before you even get to know them. The insane officiating delays have also greatly diminished the college game.

per Shooter:

Regarding June’s NBA draft, who would you rather have on your team, 6-11 Timberwolf Gorgui Dieng, 30, who is being paid $16.2 million this season, or Gophers’ 6-10 sophomore Daniel Oturu, 20?

So how well will Oturu hold up against Illini's Cockburn? The NBA will be watching. It will be interesting matchup as our guy is not nearly as physical. My guess is they will get the ball to Cockburn early and get Oturu in foul trouble.

My take thus far is that Daniel needs another season to get stronger.

So how well will Oturu hold up against Illini's Cockburn? The NBA will be watching. It will be interesting matchup as our guy is not nearly as physical. My guess is they will get the ball to Cockburn early and get Oturu in foul trouble.

My take thus far is that Daniel needs another season to get stronger.
He does. I wish the NBA and common sense were paired together. I hope he returns AND the move pays off for him. He'd have a chance to be college player of the year next year.

Just what this team needs - their best player taking off early. Again.
Getting players drafted in the first round helps teams recruiting big time. Imagine if Chet commits and also goes in the first round....won't be too hard for Pitino to get good centers to commit in the future.

I mean, you are correct in that aspect, but can we really afford to have a questionable 20/21 season ahead of this program, just as Coffey's taking off put this season in jeopardy? Don't get me wrong, I like watching this team and its heart, and I am happy with the play despite the record. What I'm afraid of is - just like with Coffey, or the lack of having Carr last year - is that another mid-range or low-range B1G season will do more to harm the future of recruiting, and the program in general, than Oturu's draft position might help.
I believe that good players are looking more for teams that will put them in the NBA than they are looking for teams that will put them in the NCAA tournament. The biggest reason they want to go to the tourney is to get exposure so that they can go to the NBA.

Oturu is way better than Dieng was in college. Significantly better offensive player.
But how Dan projects in the NBA is similar to the type of player that Dieng is now. A 10 point, 8 rebound, 1.3 block per game type of center.

He’s an NBA PF when he is fully ready

But how Dan projects in the NBA is similar to the type of player that Dieng is now. A 10 point, 8 rebound, 1.3 block per game type of center.
Disagree. Oturu is significantly more athletic and can actually put the ball in the floor. I'm shocked Dieng even made a career albeit a small one in the NBA.

Just throwing this comparison out there but Draymond Green played the 5 for the warriors and he was only 6'5". Green can't really shoot. If Oturu gets a consistent three ball and works on his lateral quickness/movement he could be a great small ball center.

Top Bottom