NBADraft.net has Oturu going 8th in the 2020 draft updated today

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score

This is usually one of the more accurate forecasts. I've seen another one that has Oturu going 19th.

I love Daniel's game, but I just can't see him going before Cole Anthony or Vernon Carey.

This is usually one of the more accurate forecasts. I've seen another one that has Oturu going 19th.

Highly unlikely he would go this high. Several others dont have him mocked in the first round.

I actually think, based upon the last month and a half, that Oturu is demonstrating he could be a "unicorn" type of center in the NBA. He has outside shot, inside presence and can move with and without the ball. The fact that he worked hard to improve his game in the last year just shows his work ethic is matching his skill. There are not a lot of big men that are great fits in the modern NBA. Those who don't have him in the 1st round are not paying close enough attention to the game he has.

DO does not have the high-end athleticism needed to go that high.

I actually think, based upon the last month and a half, that Oturu is demonstrating he could be a "unicorn" type of center in the NBA. He has outside shot, inside presence and can move with and without the ball. The fact that he worked hard to improve his game in the last year just shows his work ethic is matching his skill. There are not a lot of big men that are great fits in the modern NBA. Those who don't have him in the 1st round are not paying close enough attention to the game he has.
At present, Oturu reminds me of a Gorgui Dieng type player. He even has a bit of the Gorgui Dieng trebuchet shot from the three point line.

At present, Oturu reminds me of a Gorgui Dieng type player. He even has a bit of the Gorgui Dieng trebuchet shot from the three point line.

Oturu is way better than Dieng was in college. Significantly better offensive player.

I think you need to consider the trajectory he's on. Compare where he was in his first freshman game to where he is now. Then look at the correctable mistakes he's still making (the dumb travels as an example) that can be coached away.

He's gone from 24 minutes per game to 33 minutes per game (about 50% more)
He's increased his PPG from 11 to 20.
He's increased his FG% from 55% to 62%
He's increased his FT% from 62% to 69%
He's increased his RPG from 7 to 12.
He's increased his BPG from 1.3 to 2.8.

And almost most importantly...his fouls per game have remained relatively low at 2.8. For someone who plays that much and has that much activity...that's awesome.

And he's still improving.

As said above, way better than Gorgui. As a note, Gorgui took exactly 3 3-pointers in college.

I'm a huge Oturu fan but nbadraft.net is a joke of a website. Wait until other more reputable sites start doing their rankings. I do believe Oturu will end up a lottery pick but nbadraft.net is pure trash and always has been.

Oturu may not jump out of the gym, but he does have good lateral quickness (much needed in the pick and roll game in the NBA). He also understands help side defense and plays smart. You add his shot and he is a great center for the right NBA system.

I'm a huge Oturu fan but nbadraft.net is a joke of a website. Wait until other more reputable sites start doing their rankings. I do believe Oturu will end up a lottery pick but nbadraft.net is pure trash and always has been.
Agreed - nbadraft.net is a data point but will probably be one of the last boards I look at. Vecenie of the Athletic had him in the early 2nd round but thinks he can rise.

Just what this team needs - their best player taking off early. Again.

Last edited:

Just what this team needs - their best player taking off early! Again!

It would actually help with recruiting if kids see we have a sophomore go in the lottery. A solid program is regularly going to have players leaving early.

It would actually help with recruiting if kids see we have a sophomore go in the lottery. A solid program is regularly going to have players leaving early.
I mean, you are correct in that aspect, but can we really afford to have a questionable 20/21 season ahead of this program, just as Coffey's taking off put this season in jeopardy? Don't get me wrong, I like watching this team and its heart, and I am happy with the play despite the record. What I'm afraid of is - just like with Coffey, or the lack of having Carr last year - is that another mid-range or low-range B1G season will do more to harm the future of recruiting, and the program in general, than Oturu's draft position might help.

I mean, you are correct in that aspect, but can we really afford to have a questionable 20/21 season ahead of this program, just as Coffey's taking off put this season in jeopardy? Don't get me wrong, I like watching this team and its heart, and I am happy with the play despite the record. What I'm afraid of is - just like with Coffey, or the lack of having Carr last year - is that another mid-range or low-range B1G season will do more to harm the future of recruiting, and the program in general, than Oturu's draft position might help.

I guess I'm just looking at the positive side of it. Especially since its been so long since we've had a guy drafted. Obviously I'd love to have Daniel back for his junior year, but I'd rather have him destroy it this year, enjoy the ride and see if we can go on a special run. Let the chips fall where they may after the season.

One last thought, if we go on a special run, that will also likely make us more attractive for a grad transfer to replace Daniel. Those guys wanna go where they can win big their final year.

He is a top 20 player for sure, top 10 though? I guess all it takes is one gm.

Exactly. As evidence, look at the flurry of top recruits we snagged after Rickert and Humphries bolted.

Exactly. As evidence, look at the flurry of top recruits we snagged after Rickert and Humphries bolted.

Hmm. I clearly said "lottery". Not sure if you dont read too good or maybe you don't what the NBA lottery is?

See, the NBA has a lottery every year for its first 13 picks. If a player was said to be picked in the lottery, that would mean he went somewhere 1 to 13.

Rick Rickert was picked nearly last in the 2nd round. So your attempt at sarcasm missed the target.

Humphries never really wanted to be at the U. He signed at Duke first. He also left after a year of selfish play on a horrible team.

Oturu is a kid who chose to stay home EARLY over a Kansas offer. He will have played 2 years, showing massive development between year 1 and 2. He also would have been on two consecutive NCAA teams and raised the overall level of play of the squad - the opposite of Humphries.

If you don't understand the difference in the situations if Oturu became a lottery pick after this year, then I guess you definitely don't read too good.

Hmm. I clearly said "lottery". Not sure if you dont read too good or maybe you don't what the NBA lottery is?

See, the NBA has a lottery every year for its first 13 picks. If a player was said to be picked in the lottery, that would mean he went somewhere 1 to 13.

Rick Rickert was picked nearly last in the 2nd round. So your attempt at sarcasm missed the target.

Humphries never really wanted to be at the U. He signed at Duke first. He also left after a year of selfish play on a horrible team.

Oturu is a kid who chose to stay home EARLY over a Kansas offer. He will have played 2 years, showing massive development between year 1 and 2. He also would have been on two consecutive NCAA teams and raised the overall level of play of the squad - the opposite of Humphries.

If you don't understand the difference in the situations if Oturu became a lottery pick after this year, then I guess you definitely don't read too good.
Are there still 30 teams? Lottery consisting of the 1st 14 picks in the draft?

per Evans:

Situation:

Daniel Oturu was a solid presence for Minnesota last year, but what he has done during his sophomore season is one of the more impressive developments within the college game.

Arguably a top-five frontline player in the sport, Oturu was been nothing short of dominant of late. In his last five Big Ten games, he has averaged 25.2 points, 13 rebounds and two blocks. Better yet, he is no longer just a throwback post but someone that has extended the range on his jumper and after attempting just two perimeter attempts last year, has made 10 this season; his NBA Draft stock is inching towards the first round.

The Fix: Replacing Oturu and his numbers with just one man will not be easy and is rather inconceivable. Instead, Richard Pitino is hoping that a finally healthy

Eric Curry can pitch in where needed, and that Sam Freeman, a lightly used big man that has played in just four games this season, can also be a factor. The Gophers signed Rivals150 center Martice Mitchell in the fall and while he doesn’t possess the muscle of Oturu, he also displays a more versatile skill set and defensive potential.

Go Gophers!!

To add to this, if Oturu leaves we have 2 open scholarships. We can hope Kerwin but I don't see that, so maybe go for 2 grad transfers to help out immediately. It looks like we have plenty of "projects" so can have a few 1 year guys.

To add to this, if Oturu leaves we have 2 open scholarships. We can hope Kerwin but I don't see that, so maybe go for 2 grad transfers to help out immediately. It looks like we have plenty of "projects" so can have a few 1 year guys.

There is a very strong chance we'll have at least 2 open scholarships. Someone will transfer, they always do. Not just at MN, but everywhere. If we lose Oturu, that would mean three open scholarships.

Go Gophers!!

If Oturu is even top 20, why come back? The draft will be much stronger next year and then there's always a chance of an injury. And our team isn't exactly setting the world on fire...it's not like we're a championship team next year.

Oturu is gone. Two years in a row, two Mn kids leave for the NBA. One would think this would only help Mn kids that are 4 or 5 star recruits stay home and follow this path to the nba.

I tend to disagree with the viewpoint that having someone taken in the 1st round of the draft is more beneficial to recruiting than the team having a really successful year. I mean, realistically what looks better to a potential recruit a) Oturu getting selected in the top half of first round and we potentially take a step back next year, or b) he stays and we make a sweet 16 or better?

I tend to disagree with the viewpoint that having someone taken in the 1st round of the draft is more beneficial to recruiting than the team having a really successful year. I mean, realistically what looks better to a potential recruit a) Oturu getting selected in the top half of first round and we potentially take a step back next year, or b) he stays and we make a sweet 16 or better?

The argument is that Oturu getting selected in the lottery AND us making a nice run THIS year would be beneficial to recruiting. Not one or the other

Understandable, however I'd say that a nice run this year AND a better one next year would do far more for recruiting than having Oturu go in the lottery next year.

Top Bottom