My Nomination for End of 3rd Quarter Song

Governor Sibley

Section 109 Row 21
Reaction score
Forgive me if I missed a previous thread on this, as it seems an obvious topic of interest.

So I gather they're trying out three possible songs to play during the intermission between the 3rd and 4th quarter. I thought they were all...underwhelming. Time to start over.

You need a song that fulfills three requirements: 1) It is infectiously dance-friendly, 2) The vocals and lyrics essentially require you sing along when you hear it, 3) Its appeal cuts across generations.

Here is my nomination (greatest accidentally awesome vocal recording in rock history--John had totally lost his voice in the booth, and his guttural growl makes the song what it is!).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_59n86U3Dvs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_59n86U3Dvs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(If I have subconsciously ripped off this idea from another venue, please let me know!)

I like Twist and Shout...would be cool to have a video on the screen of famous Minnesotans dancing and lip-synching it.

How would twist and shout pump up the players, students, or recruits? You would succeed in getting some of the blue hairs tapping their feet though, 20,000 blue hairs tapping at once would be intense.

How would twist and shout pump up the players, students, or recruits? You would succeed in getting some of the blue hairs tapping their feet though, 20,000 blue hairs tapping at once would be intense.

Yep... A blue hair delight. My thoughts on that song exactly.

Since it is played at every MLB game, wedding dance, etc. Etc. Etc... It would probably induce a lot of yawns and maybe even a nap or two.

How about "Run this Town" by Jay Z? Certainly wouldn't last beyond this year (I don't think), but a good song - maybe too slow though...

Agree with Tonto Jump on it....gets the students moving!

Yeah, jump on it was one of the few things that worked at the dome and I was surprised they didn't do it...

Knocking on Heaven's Door (Guns n' Roses) would be sick- although that would probably fit better at Notre Dame, ya know.

Ferris was no bluehair!

Save Ferris!

As for the rap suggestions: What about fans who are not 19 and semi-literate?

Ferris was no bluehair!

Save Ferris!

As for the rap suggestions: What about fans who are not 19 and semi-literate?

Can we at least compromise on some rock and roll from this century? :D

I'd at least like a song where musicians actually play instruments.

Yep, Ferris was the first thing that came to mind when you suggested Twist and Shout.

But if you really want us snow-heads to tap our walkers in unison, Satisfaction would be golly-gee-whiz swell, too! And these lyrics now have a new twist for us older folks:

And i'm tryin' to make some girl
Who tells me baby better come back later next week
'cause you see i'm on losing streak

Heck, by next week we forget what it was we wanted in the first place. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is the best version, IMHO:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulVDM0a49Lw&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulVDM0a49Lw&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

What about Run This Town. I know its rap but so it wont be very popluar on this board. But its one of the biggest rap songs right now. The singalong factor just isint very high. But its more about what the students want more than what the older crowd wants. Even Turn My Swag on wouldnt be bad. At least it might get the students a little rowdy. And really how rowdy is someone 50 years old gonig to get.

Since putting the Caddyshack gopher on the scoreboards and playing Kenny Loggins is never going to fly, I'd vote for Jungle Love by Morris Day and The Time. Keep it Minnesota.

Since putting the Caddyshack gopher on the scoreboards and playing Kenny Loggins is never going to fly, I'd vote for Jungle Love by Morris Day and The Time. Keep it Minnesota.

Let's remember who wins at the end of "Caddyshack", the Gopher, of course.

I actually like Twist and Shout, I think thats a good idea. As far as a crowd pumping, slightly ignorant rap song I would go for "Halftime" by the Ying Yang Twins.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr93g9H4i-o

I'd like to see the band play it actually instead of just play the rap song on the speakers...They would have to channel their inner Grambling State band, study some tapes maybe.

Top Bottom