Most cost effective way to watch Gopher Football at home.

Watching at a bar might be "free", but it also carries with it a 90% chance of having to listen to some annoying blowhard ramble nonstop, intent to prove to you how much they know about sports by regurgitating a string of meaningless statistics that they read off of a website catered to degenerate gamblers. Hard pass.
Gopherhole = Bar, check.
And is this a confession?

I live in Vietnam so a lot of services are geo locked even if I want to pay for it. So, my last resort is usually firstsrows.net - but, if it detects a US address, it probably limits the things you can stream. You also have the BS with pop ups and random freezing so you need to reload and go through the fun with the popups again. But, if there are no other options, that one usually works. If the Gophers are playing well, I put up with it. When they are not, it just makes me doubly pissed off.
You could possibly bypass the geo lock with a VPN.

Watching at a bar might be "free", but it also carries with it a 90% chance of having to listen to some annoying blowhard ramble nonstop, intent to prove to you how much they know about sports by regurgitating a string of meaningless statistics that they read off of a website catered to degenerate gamblers. Hard pass.
This happened 10 years ago but now everyone's just staring at phones during breaks and nobody talks.

We switched to YTTV years ago when the cost was a fraction of what Charter/Spectrum was charging for the full sports package that YTTV offered.
YTTV allows three TVs to be used at one time so we were able to dump DirecTV at the lake and use YTTV.
We have just have enough internet speed at the lake to avoid any buffering.
YTTV has become more expensive but it is still a lot cheaper than what we had before and I really like their format and all the sports channels.

We switched to YTTV years ago when the cost was a fraction of what Charter/Spectrum was charging for the full sports package that YTTV offered.
YTTV allows three TVs to be used at one time so we were able to dump DirecTV at the lake and use YTTV.
We have just have enough internet speed at the lake to avoid any buffering.
YTTV has become more expensive but it is still a lot cheaper than what we had before and I really like their format and all the sports channels.
Spectrum sports package is $7/mo. I think it was $5 a few years ago. It's the cheapest I've seen across a few cable providers I have had (Comcast, RCN, Direct TV). I had YTTV and it was good but by the time I got a separate broadband subscription the all-in cost was a little higher.

When I bundle high speed internet streaming old school cable without a box remains the most cost effective and user friendly option I have seen. And I have worked for years in developing streaming apps and doing research on how users actually perform at using streaming apps for a couple of the biggest players.

Is this the only Gopher (away) game of the year expected to be on ESPN? I’m guessing not, but possibly

I use Sportsurge.net for Gopher and Vikings games. Buffering can be a issue however once you learn the different providers who link there you can find the ones that usually don't have buffering issues.
If you use a free streaming site you might want to make sure you have a VPN runnlng.

Is this the only Gopher (away) game of the year expected to be on ESPN? I’m guessing not, but possibly
Yes, ESPN is not in the new media rights deal the Big Ten signed. FOX, FS1, BTN, CBS and NBC/Peacock carry Big Ten games and we would only be on ESPN for non-conference games.

When I bundle high speed internet streaming old school cable without a box remains the most cost effective and user friendly option I have seen. And I have worked for years in developing streaming apps and doing research on how users actually perform at using streaming apps for a couple of the biggest players.
I've had great success with version 5g internet and I pay 20 dollars a month for it (speed test right now of 143 mb/s download). I live in Saint Cloud and I'm pretty sure they have faster internet in the cities -- ymmv

@noamfromm I think the new FOX/CBS/NBC contracts start next year? This year is the last year of the FOX/ESPN contract? Apologies if I’m off a year on that

OK.

Was thinking it would coincide with bringing in PAC schools, but indeed started this year. Thanks

Spectrum sports package is $7/mo. I think it was $5 a few years ago. It's the cheapest I've seen across a few cable providers I have had (Comcast, RCN, Direct TV). I had YTTV and it was good but by the time I got a separate broadband subscription the all-in cost was a little higher.

I thought my broadband (300+Mbps) that was bundled with my Sprectum account would increase when I stopped the Sprectum cable TV but they actually decreased the cost.

Stop being so cheap and pay for it like everyone else does.
I've had some financial setbacks with family health of late - I am trying to save cash wherever possible. I am looking for cheapest - not necessarily free...but I wouldn't turn down free.

Only gopher-holers would call you cheap after already paying for a pair of lower-bowl season tickets.

Stop being an absolute cheapskate. I can watch the whole season for about $100. Monumentally inexpensive.

B1G/FS1 Sports package $10.95 month extra
ESPN+ $5.00 month extra
Paramount already have
Network channels free
Contingency “Might have to get another streaming service maybe $10 more a month”

It’s three frigging months, 4 max.

Buckle up.
Man you are just passing a lot of judgement.
$100 would be totally fine.

Last year I paid about $240 for YouTube tv across 4 months.

There's personal context I didn't get into as to why I need to save money. But go off.

Frankly I am closely considering that homie. If only for the sake of having like minded folks around me on a saturday! Ok thread change "what's the cheapest gopher bar...." lol.

Honestly, that would be the actual Gopher Bar, where drinks are 83% straight grain alcohol.

Frankly I am closely considering that homie. If only for the sake of having like minded folks around me on a saturday! Ok thread change "what's the cheapest gopher bar...." lol.

Honestly, that would be the actual Gopher Bar, where drinks are 83% straight grain alcohol.
Good luck my friend!

Yes, YouTubeTV is up to $73/mo if you're paying for it alone. (I split it with two other households, whom we each only ever stream one TV at a time, so it works for us)

But FWIW, if you've never had an account with them (I don't know if they only track this by username, or if they're smart enough to do it by billing address) you can get the first three months for $55/mo.

Stop being so cheap and pay for it like everyone else does.
What makes you think this...

Not everyone.

I am not going to tell people how to do it although posters already pointed in the right direction.

What I will say...completely unrelated, wink, wink, is make sure you have plugins like ad blocker plus, https everywhere, privacy badger, ghostery, et al. as it might make doing what the OP is alluding to easier and safer. You shouldn't have issues with viruses if you don't randomly click on things and the plug-ins I mentioned all but remove them. My father in his 70s can handle it once up and running.

There's personal context I didn't get into as to why I need to save money. But go off.
I’ve never spent remotely $60 a month for any streaming service.

I have a Sling package (Orange, Blue and Sports Extras) that costs $70. You get every sports channel you could possibly want. The downside is that the only network channel available is Fox. I use an antenna for the other channels which works fine for me.

For that much money ($70 realm) nothing beats YTTV and its DVR. It’s simply the best.

Sling would be if you just wanted the cheapest way to get at ESPN, as the only thing you cared about.

For that much money ($70 realm) nothing beats YTTV and its DVR. It’s simply the best.

Sling would be if you just wanted the cheapest way to get at ESPN, as the only thing you cared about.
The problem with that for me is I watch nearly every Wild game so I want BSN.

Shocking that he would be passing judgment.

What makes you think this...

Not everyone.

I am not going to tell people how to do it although posters already pointed in the right direction.

What I will say...completely unrelated, wink, wink, is make sure you have plugins like ad blocker plus, https everywhere, privacy badger, ghostery, et al. as it might make doing what the OP is alluding to easier and safer. You shouldn't have issues with viruses if you don't randomly click on things and the plug-ins I mentioned all but remove them. My father in his 70s can handle it once up and running.
Another option if you're computer geeky is to run a dedicated cheap computer running Linux attached to your tv because you're not going to get any viruses most likely.

Top Bottom