Most cost effective way to watch Gopher Football at home.

Mr. 131

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This squarely falls in the "let me google that for you" realm of feedback. So please assume positive intent, as I have actually done a modicum of research but am still left wondering.

The skinny:
  • I have season tickets, but like to watch the game at home as well (at least the victories).
  • I have peacock already
  • I seem to be unable to watch the UNC game - and I am hopeful to avoid getting a subscription to hulu+ just for one game.
Once upon a time a fella could stream via reddit, but those days appear to be done.

Do you have any advice on if I have any options to stream this game aside from Hulu+ or YoutubeTV?
How are you watching B1G network basically?

For the UNC game, you could sign up for the free trial for Fubo or youtube TV and then just cancel right after. Will probably be the only game on ESPN this year.

The Big Ten Network uses the Fox Sports app. I don't know if Fox Sports has a subscription you can get to watch their content? If not, if you know someone that is willing to give you their tv subscription info, you can sign in with their info.

I am 58 years old and thought I would be the last person to ever cut the cable. But DISH just kept raising prices so recently tried Hulu + live with Disney and ESPN+ and really like it. We had Disney and ESPN+ anyway so that bundle made sense to my wife and I. Our son has youtube tv and really likes that. I am very technology resistant so if I can do it anyone can.

Hulu+ is great but a little pricey. Comes bundled with ESPN/Disney.

On the free side you can look up sportsurge and stream almost every sporting event in the world for free. The challenge with that is keeping the stream going and not getting a virus. Also if you can’t cast your device to a tv your stuck watching it on PC/cellphones. But I have Hulu and still use sportsurge sometimes.

For the UNC game, you could sign up for the free trial for Fubo or youtube TV and then just cancel right after. Will probably be the only game on ESPN this year.

The Big Ten Network uses the Fox Sports app. I don't know if Fox Sports has a subscription you can get to watch their content? If not, if you know someone that is willing to give you their tv subscription info, you can sign in with their info.
I used to do this with my father-in-law's login for years. If you used the individual apps (ESPN, FoxSports, BTN, etc., or via web browser through Spectrum/Comcast), it worked well. However, most (if not all of them) have gotten smart. I can log into my FIL's Spectrum account, but if I'm not on his home network, I can only watch a few token channels (and none of the sports channels). So now I pay for streaming service (Hulu Live in my case) during the football season.

sign up for youtubetv free trial for 21 days and you can dvr the games -- rinse and repeat with a different gmail after 3 weeks

For those with Xfinity TV/Internet, I've periodically looked at dropping TV and going the streaming route but it just doesn't seem like enough savings to be worth it.

If you have Xfinity Internet, you are also eligible for Xfinity Mobile (cellular service using Verizon's network, have to be an Internet customer to qualify) and this has been a savings for our household, especially as we've added lines for kids. Again, Verizon's network so it's reliable. W

When I look at our total telecom monthly bill (TV, Internet, Streaming, Mobile) it seems like a hassle to switch everything for a minimal monthly savings.

I'm also a bit old-school in that I like the Xfinity box and guide/menu. We have two boxes but a few other TV's with ROKU (like the most important garage TV next to the garage beer fridge) where the Xfinity Stream app is fine, but not as easy to navigate as the box.

We have Hulu + Live TV which has been great. I used to stream it from the pirate streams on sportsurge, but those can be sketchy.

My in-laws have YouTube TV which has also bee really solid.

For those with Xfinity TV/Internet, I've periodically looked at dropping TV and going the streaming route but it just doesn't seem like enough savings to be worth it.

If you have Xfinity Internet, you are also eligible for Xfinity Mobile (cellular service using Verizon's network, have to be an Internet customer to qualify) and this has been a savings for our household, especially as we've added lines for kids. Again, Verizon's network so it's reliable. W

When I look at our total telecom monthly bill (TV, Internet, Streaming, Mobile) it seems like a hassle to switch everything for a minimal monthly savings.

I'm also a bit old-school in that I like the Xfinity box and guide/menu. We have two boxes but a few other TV's with ROKU (like the most important garage TV next to the garage beer fridge) where the Xfinity Stream app is fine, but not as easy to navigate as the box.
This is where I am at. Xfinity with some of the freebees that come with it, Roku. I struggle to switch because of the 6 people and 20+ devices in the house.

I think BTN+ is an option to just pay for Gopher games. Not sure how the recording works though. I use youtubetv and really like the "quad box" feature for football games.

This week is on ESPN. Wasn't sure if you knew that from what you wrote. I too am interested in cutting cable and going to full streaming, but not sure the best way to do it and get Gopher games.
UTubeTV

Hi everyone,

This squarely falls in the "let me google that for you" realm of feedback. So please assume positive intent, as I have actually done a modicum of research but am still left wondering.

The skinny:
  • I have season tickets, but like to watch the game at home as well (at least the victories).
  • I have peacock already
  • I seem to be unable to watch the UNC game - and I am hopeful to avoid getting a subscription to hulu+ just for one game.
Once upon a time a fella could stream via reddit, but those days appear to be done.

Do you have any advice on if I have any options to stream this game aside from Hulu+ or YoutubeTV?
How are you watching B1G network basically?
B
A
R

Stop being an absolute cheapskate. I can watch the whole season for about $100. Monumentally inexpensive.

B1G/FS1 Sports package $10.95 month extra
ESPN+ $5.00 month extra
Paramount already have
Network channels free
Contingency “Might have to get another streaming service maybe $10 more a month”

It’s three frigging months, 4 max.

Buckle up.

FWIW - and while it's not the necessarily the cheapest, I have been using DIRECTV as a stream service for several years. It has all the sports channels (including Bally) and then some. One of the big advantages however, is that this service allows simultaneous multiple users at different households. At the time I first got DIRECTV it was the only service to allow me to not have to pay separate subscriptions for the family cabin (youtube TV may allow this now) . My daughter can use it from time-to-time at her house (boyfriend is a big Timberwolves fan) as well.

Watching at a bar might be "free", but it also carries with it a 90% chance of having to listen to some annoying blowhard ramble nonstop, intent to prove to you how much they know about sports by regurgitating a string of meaningless statistics that they read off of a website catered to degenerate gamblers. Hard pass.

FWIW - and while it's not the necessarily the cheapest, I have been using DIRECTV as a stream service for several years. It has all the sports channels (including Bally) and then some. One of the big advantages however, is that this service allows simultaneous multiple users at different households. At the time I first got DIRECTV it was the only service to allow me to not have to pay separate subscriptions for the family cabin (youtube TV may allow this now) . My daughter can use it from time-to-time at her house (boyfriend is a big Timberwolves fan) as well.
This. I just re-subscribed for college football and the Wild.

I have not had good luck with the "pirate" threads such as SportSurge. typically wind up with a lot of buffering or dropped feeds.

I also stay away from any site that wants a credit card number for a "free" signup. I got burned on one of those once and wound up having to cancel my card and get a new card.

I have not had good luck with the "pirate" threads such as SportSurge. typically wind up with a lot of buffering or dropped feeds.

I also stay away from any site that wants a credit card number for a "free" signup. I got burned on one of those once and wound up having to cancel my card and get a new card.
You also might get an unexpected ad for an "adult" site pop up on those sites, which isn't cool when your kid is watching with you.

I do use crackstreams sometimes to watch Seahawks games, because I'm not paying for Sunday ticket to watch ten or so games a year. (assuming they have 6-7 games on national TV).

I use Sportsurge.net for Gopher and Vikings games. Buffering can be a issue however once you learn the different providers who link there you can find the ones that usually don't have buffering issues.

Hulu+ is great but a little pricey. Comes bundled with ESPN/Disney.

On the free side you can look up sportsurge and stream almost every sporting event in the world for free. The challenge with that is keeping the stream going and not getting a virus. Also if you can’t cast your device to a tv your stuck watching it on PC/cellphones. But I have Hulu and still use sportsurge sometimes.

Yeah….be careful out there.

See here. Not worth it for all the reasons.

Three months of YouTube tv. Cheap entertainment. Awesome DVR.

Yeah….be careful out there.

See here. Not worth it for all the reasons.

Three months of YouTube tv. Cheap entertainment. Awesome DVR.
Well to be fair, that article was written by a company that sells anti-virus solutions.

When I use crackstreams to watch Seahawks games, I have a dedicated older Mac Mini hooked up to my home theater system that isn't used for anything else. I don't have anything running Windows anywhere on my network.

I live in Vietnam so a lot of services are geo locked even if I want to pay for it. So, my last resort is usually firstsrows.net - but, if it detects a US address, it probably limits the things you can stream. You also have the BS with pop ups and random freezing so you need to reload and go through the fun with the popups again. But, if there are no other options, that one usually works. If the Gophers are playing well, I put up with it. When they are not, it just makes me doubly pissed off.

Well to be fair, that article was written by a company that sells anti-virus solutions.

When I use crackstreams to watch Seahawks games, I have a dedicated older Mac Mini hooked up to my home theater system that isn't used for anything else. I don't have anything running Windows anywhere on my network.

Yes they do sell security software and services but the point is, it’s generally it’s smart to avoid sketchy sites. If you know what you’re doing the risks can be mitigated. Someone so equipped probably isn’t sweating a few months of a legit streaming service.

Top Bottom