Mo - Heisman watch?

He needs about 1700 yards to catch Thompson for 1st all time in rushing yards. He does that he'll get the single season record (1629 from Cobb). Needs 10 TDs to take 1st all time in rush TDs. If he gets the 1700 yards, I'd sure have to imagine he's also getting the TDs. The 18 rush TDs is always a tough one because there's a lot of luck involved, but with his pace from the past season, he'd have a shot

With his pace from last season he’d score 25...so saying he’d have a shot is kinda funny. He scored 15 in 7 conference games. He needs 19 to set the record.
Russell benefitted from 6 touchdowns total against Tulsa, CSU and FAU

With his pace from last season he’d score 25...so saying he’d have a shot is kinda funny. He scored 15 in 7 conference games. He needs 19 to set the record.
Russell benefitted from 6 touchdowns total against Tulsa, CSU and FAU
25 rushing touchdowns have been scored 31 times in the NCAA since 1956. Over smaller numbers of games, pace numbers are exceedingly difficult to translate. We also saw a much decreased role for Seth Green last year and we saw 4 total TDs from other running backs. Not saying he can't hit 19, but I think it's only been done around 30 times in the B10 since 1956

25 rushing touchdowns have been scored 31 times in the NCAA since 1956. Over smaller numbers of games, pace numbers are exceedingly difficult to translate. We also saw a much decreased role for Seth Green last year and we saw 4 total TDs from other running backs. Not saying he can't hit 19, but I think it's only been done around 30 times in the B10 since 1956

But that isn't how stats work. Like if a guy plays 40 games in the NBA and averages 35 per gam we don't say "well, he likely wouldn't have done that for a full season so lets take away what he did"

Mo's pace last year would have him at 25+ TDs in a 12 game season. That is simply how it works. I don't care how rare it is.

FWIW, I don't think Mo breaks the Gopher touchdown record next year unless he hammers home something like 4 against Bowling Green or a non-conference team like that. OR someone terrible like Nebraska.

But that isn't how stats work. Like if a guy plays 40 games in the NBA and averages 35 per gam we don't say "well, he likely wouldn't have done that for a full season so lets take away what he did"

Mo's pace last year would have him at 25+ TDs in a 12 game season. That is simply how it works. I don't care how rare it is.

FWIW, I don't think Mo breaks the Gopher touchdown record next year unless he hammers home something like 4 against Bowling Green or a non-conference team like that. OR someone terrible like Nebraska.
purely was saying that's what made my opinion what it does, not trying to argue how to say stats work (which is why I included what I did about his pace previously, agreeing with what you said). And clearly we share that it's going to be difficult to see Mo break the record as it is truly rare air to get into that number of TDs as it takes some luck in addition to his skill (as well as health)

purely was saying that's what made my opinion what it does, not trying to argue how to say stats work (which is why I included what I did about his pace previously, agreeing with what you said). And clearly we share that it's going to be difficult to see Mo break the record as it is truly rare air to get into that number of TDs as it takes some luck in addition to his skill (as well as health)

I think all those factors plus if their is a capable passing game it hurts him. When you have 2nd and 8 from the 12 and score a TD, that is TD Mo doesn't get. IF we have to ground and pound for every score it boosts his chances.

I think all those factors plus if their is a capable passing game it hurts him. When you have 2nd and 8 from the 12 and score a TD, that is TD Mo doesn't get. IF we have to ground and pound for every score it boosts his chances.
that's very fair and fits well with what happened this year. Lots of Mo making it work to grind out TDs at the end of long drives.
Mo's TD run lengths were 16, 5, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 4, 1, 1, 5, 26, and 1 this last year for perspective.

Top Bottom